PDA

View Full Version : USB WriteProtector freeware

angesq
04-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello everyone, while looking for a way to write-protect my usb flash drive I came upon this little tool called USB WriteProtector. It can be used as an on/off switch to go between read only and full access on the usb flash drive. I am just now trying it out and wanted to share it with everyone here. I had never heard of it before today so I ran an online scanner that uses 20 different virus scanners and only one, F-Prot antivirus, came back with a positive. So far so good. I copied the usbwp folder to my usb flash drive root folder and I am able to switch between write-protected and not write-protected by running the usbWriteProtect.exe file no installation required. anyways I just wanted to share. please let me know what you think if you try it out. I would also like to know of other software alternatives to write protect my flash drives. I guess I am not able to post urls yet so you can google "USB WriteProtector gaijin" if you want to try it out.

Jory
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Is that the one that writes a file the exact size of available free space?

Either way a physical switch is going to be the best option. For what little thumb drives cost you should just buy a new one.

angesq
04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
No, as far as I can see this app does not create a dummy file to fill in the remaining free space. My flash drive properties still report 815mb free space on a 2gb drive. Prices for flash drives are low nowadays but maybe there are those, like myself, that already have a functional flash drive and just want to add the write-protect switch without having to buy another drive. Once my current flash drive gives out I will definitely consider getting one with a on/off switch built it. But as long as I can use the one I have, I think that this little app is a nice alternative to buying a new thumb drive if all you need is to add write protection. :)

bagellad
05-11-2009, 04:43 AM
nice ive been totally looking for something like this

frostbyte5014
05-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Seems as if it changes a registry key on the computer you run the program on. Check to see if it is read only on another computer. This program may only be to lock your computer to prevent the use of flash drives.

Edit: I just tested it and it doesn't seem to work.

rbwarp13
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice.. was looking for this a Few weeks ago good info :D

AtYourService
05-20-2009, 03:48 AM
i havent tested it yet but my guess is a virus will get to your drive before this has time to block anything

abe
05-20-2009, 04:51 AM
for virus protection its best to get an sd card they all have read only locks if however you dont have one and are going to work on an infected computer then you should use regedit and navigate to here

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\

add a new key StorageDevicePolicies

to that key add a dword called WriteProtect and set its value to 1

all usb devices will be write protected untill you remove the key or change the value to 0

i have this on a sd card i carry with me in a batch file i run the batch and then can use all my flash drives and external hd's without having to worry.

crazy420rc
05-23-2009, 03:49 AM
What ever happened to USB thumb drives that have a lock switch on them??? hard to find!! used to be more common.