PDA

View Full Version : Legit Windows XP Faied activation

LunchBox
04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Greetings,

I am going over to my second client. Both clients had viruses WinPC (and probably others). Both have the windows failed to active. I have not worked on the second client yet. My first client let it go because I fixed something 2 other techs could not fix.

I have searched google and cant find something that will help me to resolve the issue.

Both clients purchased their machines brand new for best buy and dell and those come pre-activated.

The not genuine message came up right before or right after the virus infection.

I blame the virus for this.

I went to start --> Run and typed oobe /msoobe /a and I get the C:\windows\system32\oobe window and something should kick in but nothing happens I double cliked on msoobe.exe nothing.

I remember once in the corporate world I had a couple odd PC that would get the message (40,000+ corp so install CD had many many seats). It was a reg fix or something.

Anyways, my brain if fried and I can't seem to find something different to resolve my issue other than oobe /msoobe /a

Any suggestions?

Methical
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Removed....

Jm Boyd
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM
As someone who deals with computer crimes daily I'm telling you straight....DO NOT USE THE CODE PROVIDED ABOVE! It will only make an already bad situation worse by changing the product key and Product ID to one that has been ILLEGALLY passed around by people (software pirates actually) for the purpose of by-passing the activation process for years now...and it only works on Professional anyway.

The fact it is even posted on this site is a crime within itself....and frankly damn disappointing.

The best way to solve this is to simply re-install Windows on both machines and then try to activate. If activations fails via the Internet (a common thing on re-installs) then simply choose the "activate by phone" option and put in a call to Microsoft's automated system. The phone call only takes about 2 minutes.......

If they still fail activation....then it is NOT a legit product key.

04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Methical, could you remove that please? Jm's right, that's not a solution.

stevenamills
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I give up!!

stevenamills
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I give up!!

04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
That's too bad!!

Why? That was plain an simple an illegal work-around. I'm all for helping people out, but as a professional forum we have to do it within the constrains of the licensing and law.

I think JM's post was a little over the top, too... But if the systems won't activate and they are legit keys, Microsoft will help you. They even have a phone number for that. ;)

stevenamills
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I give up.

I'm tired of the holier than thou types with no sense of right and wrong and giving me the biblical perspective on intellectual property rights or there "credentials".

Adios to these insane and unjustifiable arguments.

04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not denying that activating is a frustrating thing. I'm still opposed to it and wish companies could come up with something better.
I know that Genuine advantage stuff often screws up a perfectly legit system. And viruses screw it up, too.

The only point I was making, though, we have to play by the rules. The sad reality of that is that sometimes a reload is the only way to do that when the only problem is that activation is fubar'd.

That's all I really have on the topic, before it gets too far into ethics instead of solving the OP's problem.

(Edit: I missed the part where you said "reinstalling was the same" That IS a pain in the butt!)

Markus
04-27-2009, 12:49 AM
This is from Microsoft, I hope it helps you.

kb 314935

# Restart your computer, press F8 during startup, and then on the Windows Advanced Options menu, choose Enable VGA Mode. Start the WPA Wizard, and then try to start Windows XP again. If you can start Windows XP, skip the remaining steps. If you cannot start Windows XP, continue to the next step.

# Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. Right-click your video adapter, and then click Disable to make your computer start by using the Standard VGA video driver. Restart your computer, start the WPA Wizard, and then try to start Windows XP again. If you can start Windows XP, skip the remaining steps. If you cannot start Windows XP, continue to the next step.
# Locate the following registry key and its associated values:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm
"PerceivedType"="text"
(Default) = "MozillaHTML"
"Content Type"="image/x-xbitmap"

If this registry key does not exist, go to the next step. If this registry key does exist, modify the values like this:

"PerceivedType"="text"
(Default) = "htmlfile"
"Content Type"="text/html"

Restart your computer, start the WPA Wizard, and then try to start Windows XP again. If you can start Windows XP, skip the remaining steps. If you cannot start Windows XP, continue to the next step.

# Reinstall the Oobe.inf file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type inf, and then click OK.
3. In the Inf folder, right-click oobe.inf, and then click Install.
4. Insert the Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 CD when you are prompted.

# Manually register the Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
3. Close the command prompt.

# Repair the existing Windows XP installation. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

LunchBox
04-27-2009, 01:42 AM
An update.

The first machine I had was legitimate. And I never job a chance to finish because the client felt happy with the results I gave him. Something that two other techs could not do. I was never able to click on the activation screen to see if the had the

Fake Activation trojan. It asks for you credit card.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B312295

The second one was illegal. The client had a pizza-tech or whatever you guys call them. Install windows it would not activate and as a result it had virus. I cleaned it up and told her to call dell (or I could do it for a fee) to get the re-install CD's

I also came across this link from Microsoft that forces (I am assuming) the system to re-activate it it fails then you can to call them

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B312295

I always prefer the legit way. That way I wont ever had anyone who tries to blackmail me. But the first reason I dont like work arounds for this type of issue is my ethics (I go to church every Sunday).

angry_geek
04-27-2009, 01:49 AM
If they're Best Buy Dells, you could always just back everything up and run the restore partition.

Jm Boyd
04-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Also, I get damn tired of MS apologists constantly insinuating that problems are the customers fault and due to illegal software. I dare say I've been in this business longer than you and I assure you, the fault is with MS the majority of time. Please note these were name brand, preinstalled systems. Legitimacy is not at issue and only serves to obfuscate the situation! They paid for an OS and are entitled to an OS. Period.

That, sir, is a fact!

Well, unless you have been working professionally with computers more than 30 years and with a computer crimes unit for 10 of those...you are no where close.

The fact they are "pre-installed" systems is irrelevant as there are a variety of viruses that can cause a break the WGA/activation process causing these symptoms.

Being a "name brand" box is also irrelevant , because the last time I checked, those can be formatted and have pirate Operating Systems installed on them as well...especially if the original CD provided by the manufacturer are lost/damaged, the computer is stolen or the unfortunate owner took it to a "less than reputable" tech at some point.

If you called the number provided by the "phone activation" option and talked to a living human being....you dialed the wrong number. The AUTOMATED system that number calls is actually pretty efficient and according to my records I have used it about 90 times already this year with only 1 issue.

Now, I was merely pointing out the legality of the situation. The poster AND the site owner can be prosecuted under Federal Criminal and Civil Law on a variety of charges due to a post of that nature. Not to mention the poor guy who was expecting PROFESSIONAL help from CREDIBLE techs who was about become an unwitting accomplice to software piracy.

Odds are after he re-installs Windows the activation will work fine even if he has to take 2 minutes out of his day to call MS...There is no need to turn him into a criminal.....

Just remember...legitimate business people have legitimate business practices. I'm done....

tasaholic
04-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Had this occur a few times on systems that I know to be genuine (I did the initial instal) and IMHO the problem is either a MS issue or ..in a lot of cases...some form of malware. My simplest solution is always clean instal . I might add all my clients are home users...and I don't want to know which sites they go to,( they never admit anything anyway!).It also gives a great opportunity to instal latest versions as well as getting rid of all the crap.:p