PDA

View Full Version : Reurnil Reboot&Restore

Starsky
04-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey,

THis is a new program i just found, fantastic for use on family computers or those that many different users will access, such as public pcs or business computers:
http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/home-security
The home version is free, with a few insignificant limitations.

What the program does is put the running version of windows into a Virtual Machine, so that you can make any changes you like, such as delete files, install viruses etc. Everything gets restored on reboot back to original settings. Can be turned on or off. Whats amazing is that it doesnt slow the system down at all. I can see myself installing this for clients, showing them how to use it so that they can say "here you go kids, do whatever you like with the computer, learn how to use new programs etc., it doesnt matter if you delete something"
Then they just reboot and everything is up and running again.

Also, it has received awesome reviews all over the internet, just google.

Cheers,

Starsky.

l337
04-23-2009, 12:30 AM
seems promising im just curious wouldnt it be extremly slow to load the os/files up as a vm machine?

Starsky
04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Thats what i thought as well, cause when i run VMWare or something, you actually need to "boot" the virtual machine - returnil is different, it only loads what is being used or changed into virtual memory - i cant really explain it much more than that, but if you give it a shot, you'll hardly notice a difference, seriously, i cant tell when its running at all.

Good luck!

abe
04-23-2009, 04:26 AM
isnt that the same as those pci cards and dongles that put the work into virtual memory

ARAVA
04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I installed Returnil and wound up getting an ever repeating boot. The desktop displayed and the Avira initialization logo flashed and then reboot. Perhaps there is a conflict with Avira or Sandboxie or something else on my system. Run XP home P4 1.8MHZ w/ 1G memory. I usually check out new "defences" when I hear about them . Not a technician but have been working with computers for 30+ years. All of which is to say I have installed a lot of programs over the years. Thought this worth posting.

Nimrod