PDA

View Full Version : Dell won't recognize hard drive

rballard77
04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I have a customer that has a Dell Dimension 2400. They have a Seagate hard drive originally installed in the computer with XP. They want to install a WD hard drive with Vista Home Basic into the computer. (they want to keep XP and not upgrade) When i reboot the computer it will not recognize the WD as being installed. Seagate is set as master and WD is set as slave. I have tried a different IDE cable with the same result. I even tried the WD set to master by itself and the Dell will not recognize it. Any advice on how to make this work is appreciated.

blackburgpchelp
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Does the BIOS recognize the second drive?

-Rance

rballard77
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
No. The BIOS doesn't recognize the WD (second drive) as a master or slave drive. I did forget to mention that i put the WD hard drive in a Gateway desktop and it worked fine.

rusty.nells
04-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Years ago, Western Digital put out some flaky hard drives. Mostly 20 and 40 GB models. How old and what size is this one? Perhaps you have one of them.

Have you tried setting the jumpers on both drives to CS/cable select?

iptech
04-22-2009, 12:05 AM
No. The BIOS doesn't recognize the WD (second drive) as a master or slave drive. I did forget to mention that i put the WD hard drive in a Gateway desktop and it worked fine.
Flash the BIOS with the latest code and make sure all the cable and jumper settings are in order, also check that primary slave or whichever interface you have the drive connected to are not disabled in the BIOS. Unless the disk can be seen in the BIOS it'll never be seen by the OS as it's the BIOS that pases the basic hardware information to the operating system during the initial boot process, so there's no point in trying to load any system until the BIOS is happy.

rballard77
04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
The WD hard drive is a used 40GB, but im not sure how old it is. I will try setting both drives at cable select, check the BIOS settings, and flash the BIOS if needed. Will post back with the results of these steps. Thanks for the information everyone has provided.

rusty.nells
04-22-2009, 04:28 AM
You might also try putting them on separate cables and make sure you have the proper 40 or 80 pin cable. Although, either cable "should" work fine.

rballard77
04-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Problem solved. Primary slave setting was set to off in BIOS. Every computer i worked on in the past automatically recognized hard drives. Never thought about looking in the BIOS. Thanks for all the information provided. My knowledge has been increased and will remember this always.