PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst physical injury you've suffered on the job? (if any)

Arcadio
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I've cut myself twice from sharp case edges. I also got a minor burn from a soldering iron back when I was a reckless newbie.

What about you?

arrow_runner
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I once cut myself on my own case pretty badly. I was so focused that I didn't even notice for a little while, but when I did, there was so much blood on the computer / in my room, you'd swear I had cut a vain.

Majestic
04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately I sliced my hand a bit and I needed stitches but thought nothing of it.. now I got a scar because of it.

Polysporin is your friend on the job if you don't want to cut yourself up permanently!!!

Majestic

Jory
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
I've cut myself a few times on various things.

One time I had a PSU literally blow up and shoot out sparks/fire, but luckily I wasn't hurt. It was pretty amazing I wasn't though since my hand was positioned across the fan opening. It's too bad I don't have it on video because I possibly set the world record for reaction time on that one.

Bryce W
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I think we have all had cuts on sharp computer cases. I have had two PSU explosions like Jory said. I think the worst thing Ive had was an electric shock (or a super nasty static shock) which strangely enough, came from a printer USB cable. I know it sounds like a lie since USB is only 5volts, and I have no idea how it happened, but I got one serious shock from it. The tip of my finger really hurt, my whole arm was numb for an hour and I felt the shock all the way into my chest.

The client was doing house renovations at the time, perhaps that had something to do with it. I really dont know what happened.

Pc Fixed Right
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I foolishly touched a copper coil inside of a power supply I had opened up, it was still plugged in...yes it hurt alot and no I will never do that again. Much like everyone else the cuts never stop.

angry_geek
04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I got attacked by a mama raccoon running cable under someones house. Luckily I got out quick enough that I didn't need stitches. However, stitches would have been much more preferable to the rabies treatment I had to endure.

usacvlr
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Sounds like he reversed the neutral and hot. The Computer would still turn on but the chassis would be hot like the old 5 tube type kitchen radios. They had no power transformer so one side of the line cord was soldered to the metal chassis. Depending on which way you plugged the unit in(before polarized plugs) you could get nailed turning up your volume while grabbing the faucet :)

I think we have all had cuts on sharp computer cases. I have had two PSU explosions like Jory said. I think the worst thing Ive had was an electric shock (or a super nasty static shock) which strangely enough, came from a printer USB cable. I know it sounds like a lie since USB is only 5volts, and I have no idea how it happened, but I got one serious shock from it. The tip of my finger really hurt, my whole arm was numb for an hour and I felt the shock all the way into my chest.

The client was doing house renovations at the time, perhaps that had something to do with it. I really dont know what happened.

Portis
04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Cut myself on cases almost weekly, had a cap explode and burn my face my second day on the job when I plugged an XT powersupply in one pin over. One day I was taking a computer out to my car in an oil change place, slipped on the wet/oily floor and sprained my ankle. I have a "V" burned into my forearm where I put my arm down on my soldering iron holder while replacing a DC jack.

nudone
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
yep, another deep cut. the really annoying thing is that i always seem to be thinking "i bet i cut myself in a moment" just before it happens. not done it for a long time now though - touch wood, i mean, metal.

ClickRight
04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I managed to slice my thumb open removing a ridiculously tough CD-ROM drive. This was years ago, and all I remember is the drive was very hard to move, but when it did my thumb went right into a sharp piece of metal. What a B*TCH. I think I had to get about 7 stitches for it, I still have the scar to prove it.

DanF
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Never managed to cut or hurt myself so far during any jobs. However, I must say that standard PSU cases are really sharp. I don't think I need to tell you not to hold the case while opening from the edges, because you wouldn't even notice you cut yourself :D

Daifne
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I was returning an unfixable (fortunately) computer on a very snowy/icy day. The customers had done a very good job cleaning their steps, but I found that one stray, tiny patch of ice. Fell up the stairs and the computer came down on my right hand breaking one of the bones. I still have a perfectly round scar where the audio input hit. Spent six weeks in a cast from my elbow to my finger tips... Had to get extra help for a few of the jobs I had in.

Anne~
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Cases, freaking cases. It seems when ever I need to do a new build or a rebuild I get a cut. It does not even hurt, I do not know I got it till I see blood.

iptech
04-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I've had more than a few cuts from PC cases whilst working on them, it's not as bad these days since the (European) CE standard introduced rolled edges to the metal. I also pulled my back a few years back moving a server box.

Emotional harm is another matter though...

Resler
04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Cuts and scrapes happen to me all the time. Maybe a pinched finger every so often. Sometimes smashing a finger with a part trying to get it out hurts more than a clean cut from sharp metal.

I've also got some bad static shocks grounding myself to the case, the kind that annoyingly stings for a few minutes. Guess its better me than the computer.

jj2000
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
what a timely thread,just this minute got back from the A&E department,Fell over at a customers today and broke my freakin' wrist:eek::eek:.
So not a happy bunny as i'm due to go on holiday on saturday so i managedto get the A&E to put me in a soft brace type cast which is a bit more comfortable for flying and at least i can still type (:Dbadly)

stevenamills
04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Bruised ego!

04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Bruised ego!

Worst injury ever! :D

abe
04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
burnt a hole in my pants from a customera "made in china" laptop power adapter.
Abe

reesk92
04-24-2009, 02:21 AM
ive dropped hard drives and other heavy components on my feet before by acident luckily they were ether my hdds or dead ones, also stubbed my toe so many tiems walking into a house, funny how how get alot angrier when you stub your toe than anything else.

worst ive ever had was when i burnt my self on a soldering iron when installing fans into my fan controller, by making the cables longer because they needed routing up inside the corners or the case, soldering iron burns are nasty especially on the tips of Ur fingers.

also one time i fell over and bit my toe lololol

K007
04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Scratched my leg pretty bad in the corner of a desk.
The worst part was that my brand new suit (trousers) were ripped, so I had to buy a new work suit.

TheProfessional
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I've cut myself plenty of times on cases but never blood. The most noteable injury was when my client's dog pushed my bent head into an open tower as he ran full speed into my back. Few scratches on my face. Ouch.

JRDtechnet
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I foolishly touched a copper coil inside of a power supply I had opened up, it was still plugged in...yes it hurt alot and no I will never do that again. Much like everyone else the cuts never stop.

LOL I did the exact same thing!! But it didn't hurt all that much, but it paralyzed my muscles and there was tingling sensation around my lips and feet.

usacvlr
04-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I have managed to slice, cut, mangle, injure and burn myself in so many creative ways I learned to be well supplied. Ebay bulk purchasing is a beautiful thing. I stay well supplied. I also give these kits out with a business card as sort of a premium. :)

http://www.usalaptoprepair.com/first1.jpg
http://www.usalaptoprepair.com/first2.jpg

jj2000
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
i could really have done with carrying something like that yesterday,then i might have been able to strap the wrist,before going to the hospital,might not have done the extra damage that way.Broken Wrist and damaged tendons could be up to 18 weeks before its ok again.

angry_geek
04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Got a new one today to blow your minds.

Are you ready?

Here it comes. . .

I fell off the roof of a clients office while I was installing a directional wifi antenna. 20 ft to the . . . ice cold, still covered from winter, disgusting swimming pool. It was like something out of a cartoon. I'm currently waiting to get my cell phone replaced. Thank God for my netbook and my mobile evdo router so I can post while sitting here.

No injuries other than some scrapes and my new work shirt. Hooray!!

jj2000
04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
holy cow, Angrygeek that's a good one,glad you are ok.

angry_geek
04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
holy cow, Angrygeek that's a good one,glad you are ok.

Thanks, jj. I'm sorry about your wrist. That has to suck. I was just real lucky today that pool was there and I didn't seriously hurt myself. I spent 30 minutes in the shower scrubbing all that slime and nastiness off my body, out of my hair! Ewwww! That was the worst part. When I fell, I pretty well destroyed the lady's pool cover, and I offered to replace it for her. She was laughing so hard. She said I made her week, and I didn't need to worry about it. She was planning on replacing it this season anyway.

isiahw1
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
...She was laughing so hard. She said I made her week, and I didn't need to worry about it.
I don't know why, but I found that to be very amusing. Silly me!

CPCR
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Usual cut's scrapes and banging head off doors and desks but the real cracker came when placing a desktop on a client's floor and his dog (collie) made a bolt from the kitchen, bounded over the table and bit me on the arse as I was bending down, the client was actually a lawyer but no harm done, it never broke the skin and only managed a wee hole in my trousers.