PDA

View Full Version : Finally installing Linux for server. Wish me luck!

TimeCode
04-15-2009, 06:30 AM
So I'm finally installing Linux for my web server. I decided on CentOS 5.3 and I am following the directions listed here (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.3-x86_64-ispconfig-2).

I am currently on the second page of the instructions at the step that says "The hard drive is being formatted:" So far it is all pretty familiar but I am a bit leery of having no GUI. I'll have to be VERY careful. Actually, I did choose to install the Server GUI but I don't know what it gives me so it really was more of an emotional crutch. Am I lame for admitting that? Oh well. Its honest.

I'm still up at 11:30 because I had a Mountain Dew with lunch. I used to drink a 12-pack a day and now a single one keeps me up hours later. You know you're getting old when... :(

Wish me luck!

TimeCode
04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah... Gonna try the install again. Weird stuff happening and I don't just mean Linux is weird. I've gotten farther than this before.

First Install: When I attempted to reboot, computer acted as if HD wasn't there. No error but never got past p.o.s.t. and checking the CD Drives.

Second Install: Installed the Gnome GUI and the OS booted but when I went to edit the Hosts file, I went to "vi /etc/hosts" the file and I couldn't make any changes. It just beeped at me whenever I hit a key.

Third time is a charm?

purple_minion
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah... Gonna try the install again. Weird stuff happening and I don't just mean Linux is weird. I've gotten farther than this before.

First Install: When I attempted to reboot, computer acted as if HD wasn't there. No error but never got past p.o.s.t. and checking the CD Drives.

Second Install: Installed the Gnome GUI and the OS booted but when I went to edit the Hosts file, I went to "vi /etc/hosts" the file and I couldn't make any changes. It just beeped at me whenever I hit a key.

Third time is a charm?

Next time either run "dmesg" or looking in /var/log/messages, as linux bitches a lot if there are issues with something, you'll know it. I found out about hard drive errors and usb errors simply by looking at the logs to see why it was so slow and buggy.

arrow_runner
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Installed the Gnome GUI and the OS booted but when I went to edit the Hosts file, I went to "vi /etc/hosts" the file and I couldn't make any changes. It just beeped at me whenever I hit a key.

Were you in update/edit mode? If not, I think vi might just beep at you for not being in the right mode, but I don't remember. I don't use it.

I would just stick to using nano or pico for text editing at first.

TimeCode
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
i for insert/edit
a for append
x for delete
dd for delete whole line
esc key for done editing
/search term for searching for a specific text in the whole document
:w for write changes, or save.
:q for quitting edit mode
:wq for a combo of both.

What!?!?! That's some of the dumbest crap I've ever heard. :) I'll go try it again soon.

purple_minion
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I think timecode was going to install LAMP IIRC, so this adds onto what ACG said... a nice article off linux news.

http://www.l2admin.com/linux/10-straight-forward-but-proven-ways-to-harden-your-lamp-servers/

TimeCode
04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
I think timecode was going to install LAMP IIRC, so this adds onto what ACG said... a nice article off linux news.

http://www.l2admin.com/linux/10-straight-forward-but-proven-ways-to-harden-your-lamp-servers/

Wow, they like to make it hard for those of us who are colorblind. or at least partially colorblind. Highlighting the text makes it much easier though.

TimeCode
04-15-2009, 11:47 PM
What!?!?! That's some of the dumbest crap I've ever heard. :) I'll go try it again soon.

Well, it may be the dumbest crap I've ever heard of but it worked. Thanks!

Sadly, I'm certain I'll be posting more here. :o

Oh, and am I stupid for wanting this server to have it's own IP and being straight on the net? Should I have it behind a router and do port forwarding?