PDA

View Full Version : Wireless causes router to lose connection

Bullfighter
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok, got an odd one...

I've had problems in the past with old cable modems loosing connection when you add a router, but this one is a bit different.

Customer has DSL
Customer can access Internet fine
Purchased brand new router
Works fine with router when wired
As soon as I add a wireless connection, the router loses internet connectivity.

It is a D-Link router with the globe light, so I can tell as soon as it loses connection. My first instinct is a bad router, unfortunately I have to wait - since this is for a church and they want me to wait to work on it until after Easter. I'm going to bring a new router with me when I revisit them, but I wanted to drop a line here and see if anyone has seen anything similar.

I googled around a bit and found a ton of great reviews and a bunch of people with connection issues. It is a DIR-615, with the latest firmware.

EP

frostbyte5014
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Here's my best guess. The DSL modem can only hand out one IP and the router is getting that one. Now you don't have an address for your computer. Try turning on DHCP on the router or assigning ip manually to pc. Good luck.

Bullfighter
04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. The wireless connection is through the router (which is using DHCP). That's why it is so weird, I don't get how adding a wireless device to a router can affect the Internet connection when it works fine with wired connections.

Unless of course, the router is crap :)

EP

TimeCode
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Have you tried going back to factory settings on the router and setting it up again? But it is a D-Link... It might be worth seeing what a hammer would do for the issue. ;)

Bullfighter
04-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Have you tried going back to factory settings on the router and setting it up again?

Yeah... a couple of times. I was a big fan of D-link, but the last couple have been pretty disappointing. After going through a couple of Linksys WRT54g, I've sworn off them... but maybe it's time to go back. Cisco does make them after all, you'd think they'd be half decent.

EP

eric76
04-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Did you set the router up to use PPPoE with the user name and password for the DSL connection?

Bullfighter
04-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Yup... the wired connection through the router works fine. You can literally watch the router lose Internet connection (not LAN) as the laptop is "acquiring an IP address". The globe light (indicating Internet connectivity) turns from green, to off, to yellow....