PDA

View Full Version : Please review my website :) PC Wizard

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey all, after 3 weeks of false starts with the design of my business site we have a site that will do for now :D

please take a look at the site, i welcome any feedback you may have, be sure to check out the keywords as i'm not sure if i have enough.

http://www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk/index.html

thanks

04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm still not a fan of the computer in the middle...especially with the stethoscope and the red cross. Those two things don't fit the "wizard" name. If you were computer medic, sure.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm still not a fan of the computer in the middle...especially with the stethoscope and the red cross. Those two things don't fit the "wizard" name. If you were computer medic, sure.

Well i could change that image but to be honest i've not found a better image to go in its place, any ideas ? so i can then edit it

JGaff
04-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Have you tried taking the computer with the steth and red cross out?? Might make it a little cleaner looking with just the 2 pics on the home page.

mglipford
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Speaking strictly from a usability standpoint, I have the following comments:

The home page of your site has a somewhat strange "flow" to it. I wasn't really sure where I should look first. My primary problem was the location of the navigation bar. I honestly couldn't find it at first.

The services page seemed a bit wordy to me, and by the time I got to the bottom of the page, I was really wishing for a way to navigate through the site without having to scroll ALL the way back up the page.

Over all, I really like most of the graphics and pictures on the site. The only exceptions, as noted by previous posters, are the graphics on the home page. They seem distracting. Specifically the picture between your logo (which I like, by the way) and the navigation bar is very distracting. It really pulls focus away from both of the nearby items (which are arguably the most important parts of the page).

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Speaking strictly from a usability standpoint, I have the following comments:

The home page of your site has a somewhat strange "flow" to it. I wasn't really sure where I should look first. My primary problem was the location of the navigation bar. I honestly couldn't find it at first.

The services page seemed a bit wordy to me, and by the time I got to the bottom of the page, I was really wishing for a way to navigate through the site without having to scroll ALL the way back up the page.

Over all, I really like most of the graphics and pictures on the site. The only exceptions, as noted by previous posters, are the graphics on the home page. They seem distracting. Specifically the picture between your logo (which I like, by the way) and the navigation bar is very distracting. It really pulls focus away from both of the nearby items (which are arguably the most important parts of the page).

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Welll any idea how i can make it so the services text opens so when you click on "read more" it opens it. Also how would i Add a "back to top" button ?

i'm willing to make these changes but i need to know how to do them :/ i can also try removing that image at the top of the home page.

joe3k
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Hate to rain on your parade. The site is ok at best, but I can't believe you paid someone for it? Are you sure they're a professional web design company... looks more like it was done by a teenager.

Some constructive criticism: I think the picture of the wizard is tacky and irrelevant (yes I know your site is called PC Wizard), it looks like it was just stuck on the homepage for no reason other than because your site name involves a pc and a wizard. The computer with the fix item is terrible and doesn't even blend in with the site background... again a cut and paste job.

You have no address or phone number which doesn't indicate a professional business, more of a standalone tech (maybe you are). Actually you do have a phone number on the site... I'd get that on the contact page. Speaking of the contact page it is laid out in a mess - tidy it up. Finally 20/hr is dirt cheap and I guess the quality of the site reflects the quality of the service or you'd be charging more. I haven't done web design in years but the site is pretty poor and I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Those are harsh comments but I'd be asking your designer some serious questions if I was you. On the other hand if you designed it yourself, well then fair play to you the site is a decent first attempt and looks pretty decent for a beginner. So well done, you're coming along well. Interesting how when money is involved it totally changes the outlook. Hope that's of some use and not too critical.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Hate to rain on your parade. The site is ok at best, but I can't believe you paid someone for it? Are you sure they're a professional web design company... looks more like it was done by a teenager.

Some constructive criticism: I think the picture of the wizard is tacky and irrelevant (yes I know your site is called PC Wizard), it looks like it was just stuck on the homepage for no reason other than because your site name involves a pc and a wizard. The computer with the fix item is terrible and doesn't even blend in with the site background... again a cut and paste job.

You have no address or phone number which doesn't indicate a professional business, more of a standalone tech (maybe you are). Actually you do have a phone number on the site... I'd get that on the contact page. Speaking of the contact page it is laid out in a mess - tidy it up. Finally 20/hr is dirt cheap and I guess the quality of the site reflects the quality of the service or you'd be charging more. I haven't done web design in years but the site is pretty poor and I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Those are harsh comments but I'd be asking your designer some serious questions if I was you. On the other hand if you designed it yourself, well then fair play to you the site is a decent first attempt and looks pretty decent for a beginner. So well done, you're coming along well. Interesting how when money is involved it totally changes the outlook. Hope that's of some use and not too critical.

It was someone on guru.com i got to do it for me, i'm aware of the problems but without the images on the home page it looks too plain :( Yes she is a professional web designer and i share your concerns about the work, my price of 20 is very reasonable, since we are in a recession i am trying to encourage people to call me.

i'm currently downloading dreamweaver to edit it then i will remove that pc wizard image from the home page.

the phone number is on the contact page.

So i've wasted $400 on this site ? is there anyone here who is a professional web designer who can maybe help sort out the mess or shall i have a new one done. i cant get my money back i dont think

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 09:34 PM
There's nothing wrong with plain. You want it to look clean and be informative. Get rid of anything that will distract your visitors from getting the information they are looking for. It's a very good start though and has good potential.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with plain. You want it to look clean and be informative. Get rid of anything that will distract your visitors from getting the information they are looking for. It's a very good start though and has good potential.

so remove the images from front page ? I have no idea what to do right now as i'm gutted :/

homepage images have been removed what could i put there to fill it up a little bit ? thats all i can do as i cant edit it coz its not html its CSS and i dont know css :(

looks like i'm gonna have to pay another $400 to get another site done huh ?

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not saying by no means that I'm a professional web designer because I'm not, but take a look at my site and a few of the other on here. If you are going to put a picture on the site it should either be a logo or represent what you are saying. I would think a wizard waiving a wand at pc would work well for your site. Don't give up. This takes time and you will be pleased with the results later.

isiahw1
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm no design professional but I know what looks good. I personally designed most of the content on my site and would love to help out. Don't take the harsh comments personally I got nailed with them also when I asked to have my site reviewed. I just started over from scratch and took all of the comments into consideration and in the end I came out with a site that was very presentable.

Simmy
04-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Frostbyte is right - it does take time to get it right. I like the overall design, so stick with that and just learn to modify what you've got. Some of the pictures are a bit odd imo - e.g. This (http://www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk/images/PCSetup-Misc-B.gif) and this (http://www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk/images/cw.gif). Random clipart images are a big no-no in my eyes.

Also, that contact form looks familiar :p ;) The contact form freezes and stutters on my computer. Why didn't they just use a standard html form? Try and get a testimonials section on your website too.

20/hour...still? :( How long do most of your jobs take on average?

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Frostbyte is right - it does take time to get it right. I like the overall design, so stick with that and just learn to modify what you've got. Some of the pictures are a bit odd imo - e.g. This (http://www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk/images/PCSetup-Misc-B.gif) and this (http://www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk/images/cw.gif). Random clipart images are a big no-no in my eyes.

Also, that contact form looks familiar :p ;) The contact form freezes and stutters on my computer. Why didn't they just use a standard html form? Try and get a testimonials section on your website too.

20/hour...still? :( How long do most of your jobs take on average?

I didn't copy the contact form honest :p but its not as good as yours :/ I did email you asking if i could maybe use your coding but i got no reply so i asked pam to create a simular one :)

Do you know a better site to get images from rather then clip art ? i also cannot edit the contact form to straight it out or add any my address at the side like on your site simon because it looks more professional then mine :/

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Istockphoto is the best. All professional images.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
thanks i'll take a look, please take a look at the index page I've cleaned it up a bit.

www.leicesterpcwizard.co.uk

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Looks better. Still need to improve on the image up top. One big thing I just noticed is how tight of a template you have. Looks about like 640x480. Now days everyone is doing 800x600 and even 1024x768. Mine adjusts from 800x600 on up. It will give you more space and alow you to do more without looking cramped.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Looks better. Still need to improve on the image up top. One big thing I just noticed is how tight of a template you have. Looks about like 640x480. Now days everyone is doing 800x600 and even 1024x768. Mine adjusts from 800x600 on up. It will give you more space and alow you to do more without looking cramped.

Hi, yeah i noticed its a bit small, any idea how i can make it bigger ?

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Here's my email support at carolina help desk dot com. Send me what you got and I'll play around with it tonight while I'm working on a few systems.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Here's my email support at carolina help desk dot com. Send me what you got and I'll play around with it tonight while I'm working on a few systems.

i'll send you the entire back up of the site then, thanks alot i appreciate it.

frostbyte5014
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure exactly what to do with it yet but, I'll be thinking about it.

Andyuk2007
04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure exactly what to do with it yet but, I'll be thinking about it.

a kiss of life might be a start :p

mglipford
04-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Welll any idea how i can make it so the services text opens so when you click on "read more" it opens it. Also how would i Add a "back to top" button ?

i'm willing to make these changes but i need to know how to do them :/ i can also try removing that image at the top of the home page.

I was actually going to suggest you cut back on the verbiage on the services page. Then the page wouldn't be so long. Generally speaking, people tend to "scan" web pages, more so than outright reading every single word.

In general: Less is more.

I'm sorry I don't have any truly constructive solutions to offer, other than my own personal aesthetic opinions. I myself am also very new to web design, so most any serious coding questions tend to go right over my head. I just know what tends to frustrate me about web pages.

Don't be afraid of empty space on a web page. Obviously a completely blank page is bad. But as long as you cover the important stuff, and potential clients can find what they need to (i.e.- What you do, how much you charge, and how they can find you), then you should be fine. Empty space can be "inviting" (for lack of a better word), and makes a page feel less cluttered/busy.

If you absolutely have to fill some empty space, when/if you remove the picture of the PC that everyone (myself included) seems to be harping on, consider enlarging your logo and the navigation bar a bit since that is what people need to see.

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
But i did see on other websites on their services page and they do have alot of information explaing what they do so i thought that would be a good idea. i did ask the designer to create it so that people could click links to expand the page so that people could read it more, again simular to what i had seen on other sites but she failed to do this

I'm really upset about the whole thing because i now feel she rushed it and took me for a mug. can i get my money back on my credit card ?

Simmy
04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Tbh $400 isn't alot for a website - she did the work at the end of the day so it would be unfair to try and take the money back. She hasn't really done anything wrong.

The website is a good start and at least you have one now. Concentrate on the content and making it sound professional. Then concentrate on the SEO side of things.

Will be back later - Like a fool, I'm working over the bank holiday :(

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Tbh $400 isn't alot for a website - she did the work at the end of the day so it would be unfair to try and take the money back. She hasn't really done anything wrong.

The website is a good start and at least you have one now. Concentrate on the content and making it sound professional. Then concentrate on the SEO side of things.

Will be back later - Like a fool, I'm working over the bank holiday :(

Hi simon, doesn't the content sound professional then :rolleyes: took me ages to come up with that, I tried to change the contact form so i could have my business address at the side of the actual form but i can't move anything, i can edit text but thats about. frostbyte5014 is going to see what he can do with it to improve it.

I wont get a refund for it after all your right she did the job at the end of the day but I'm still upset because i had no idea what to expect on getting a website made.

Methical
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Template looks a million times better than last time I seen it.

Still needs a work, but it looks like your on the right foot now!
I hope you didn't fork out another $400 for a designer to design you another site

Take it as a time to learn somethin' new, even if you aren't going to get to heavily into it, its still good for background knowledge.

CSS is the same as HTML, just in a more simpler, compact form. It's like calling functions in C+ or Java.

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Template looks a million times better than last time I seen it.

Still needs a work, but it looks like your on the right foot now!
I hope you didn't fork out another $400 for a designer to design you another site

Take it as a time to learn somethin' new, even if you aren't going to get to heavily into it, its still good for background knowledge.

CSS is the same as HTML, just in a more simpler, compact form. It's like calling functions in C+ or Java.

Can you maybe give me some ideas how to make it better because i look at it but I dunno which parts need work on, if you could do that then i can make those changes today :)

thanks

Methical
04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Can you maybe give me some ideas how to make it better because i look at it but I dunno which parts need work on, if you could do that then i can make those changes today :)

thanks

I'm sure you could change this for better SEO. Google SEO and have a read about it for an hour, I'm sure you'll learn somethin' new which could help you advance a page or two further to the top in google results :)

<META name="keywords" content=" Ratby,leicester,groby,kirby muxloe,PC Repair,data recovery,virus removal,gaming computers,leicester forest east, affordable,pc tech,repair,maintainance,upgrades,installs ">

Your main content area, I'd split vertically. Probably a 75/25% cut if you get what I mean. And on the 25% bit on the right hand side add a few testimonials :) Have 3/4 of the space for your introductions or what have you, and the other 1/4 for testimonials from past customers.

Content font needs changed.
Link font is perfect, maybe one size bigger :)
Colour scheme is excellent.
Header up the top is good too

Remove all your crappy clipart pics. Looks like my kid brother made the site lol (no offence, but you get what i mean) not professional enough.

Edit your contact page, so that all your input text boxes are aligned vertically from the left? (hope you understand that part) And the "Where did you find us" bit needs some work, I'm sure you knw what to do with it. (Dont put the label in the input box :P) Under "Service" you have 3 options. If you can visit there office/home, why can't you pick up the computer and bring it back to your store?

Your prices are cheap as chips. Maybe a lil' too cheap and might deter some prospect customers/clients? Are you able to cover your bills lol?

Services Page:
Learn how to use anchor in dreamweaver (I thnk thats what I read that you downloaded) Some of your pics are left aligned, some are center. One or the other. Gay firewall pic.

I haven't read content, I'm not a person that is good with words. I sucked @ English at school. Primary language, worst subject lol.. funny that.

I hope this gives you somethin' to do for the day lol.

Happy Easter!

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm sure you could change this for better SEO. Google SEO and have a read about it for an hour, I'm sure you'll learn somethin' new which could help you advance a page or two further to the top in google results :)

Your main content area, I'd split vertically. Probably a 75/25% cut if you get what I mean. And on the 25% bit on the right hand side add a few testimonials :) Have 3/4 of the space for your introductions or what have you, and the other 1/4 for testimonials from past customers.

Content font needs changed.
Link font is perfect, maybe one size bigger :)
Colour scheme is excellent.
Header up the top is good too

Remove all your crappy clipart pics. Looks like my kid brother made the site lol (no offence, but you get what i mean) not professional enough.

Edit your contact page, so that all your input text boxes are aligned vertically from the left? (hope you understand that part) And the "Where did you find us" bit needs some work, I'm sure you knw what to do with it. (Dont put the label in the input box :P) Under "Service" you have 3 options. If you can visit there office/home, why can't you pick up the computer and bring it back to your store?

Your prices are cheap as chips. Maybe a lil' too cheap and might deter some prospect customers/clients? Are you able to cover your bills lol?

Services Page:
Learn how to use anchor in dreamweaver (I thnk thats what I read that you downloaded) Some of your pics are left aligned, some are center. One or the other. Gay firewall pic.

I haven't read content, I'm not a person that is good with words. I sucked @ English at school. Primary language, worst subject lol.. funny that.

I hope this gives you somethin' to do for the day lol.

Happy Easter!

Hi mate!, those are great suggestions i like that, I wanted to change the contact form so its all aligned properly and put my business address down the left hand side like on simon's site :) but i can't move anything on the contact page as i'm not that good at CSS

I've edited the content on the services page to make it a little shorter and yeh the images are supposed to be smaller then that and beside the headings but she failed to do that, I plan to find some images from istockimage today to replace them.

I actually mentioned about the font to pam in my emails but she said it looks fine so i said "ok leave it then" Which font would you change it too if you were on a site ?

thanks for your suggestions :)

P.S maybe brian can do these changes to it for me, i dont mind paying him for the edits that i cannot do but i love the idea of having testominals down the side of the home page. :)

Simmy
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Get your website registered on http://www.freeindex.co.uk/ under Leicester computer repair. You only need 1 review from a customer and you'll be 2nd in the list, which will help your google rank no end.

I don't mean to say it sounds unprofessional, but you need to sort out some of the spelling/grammar. You've got all the time in the world to get it right, so there's no excuse for having mistakes on there (That's not to say I don't keep finding mistakes on my site, but there are some glaring errors on yours - maybe you haven't got round to the finishing touches yet, I don't know). It's like when I receive a CV with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors - If they can't take the time to get that right and press "spell check" then what else are they going to get wrong?

e.g.

So if your computer is struggling to keep up with the latest software or games, need more memory, or you are running out of hard drive space then PC Wizard can help.

Should be "needs more memory".

PC Tune up / Healthcheck and Preventative Maintenance

keeping your computer up to date is as important as regular servicing and changing the oil in your car. like any machine, your computer needs constant care and will become slower and start to have problems if not tuned regularly. This means keeping it free of dust, malicious software, and viruses to ensure the hard drive is maintained to reduce problems in the future.

Should be "Keeping" and "Like" with capital. You also don't need the comma after "malicious software," seeing as it is followed by "and".

I've lost track of how many hours/days I've spent on my site in total. Your site is much better than when I started out

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Get your website registered on http://www.freeindex.co.uk/ under Leicester computer repair. You only need 1 review from a customer and you'll be 2nd in the list, which will help your google rank no end.

I don't mean to say it sounds unprofessional, but you need to sort out some of the spelling/grammar. You've got all the time in the world to get it right, so there's no excuse for having mistakes on there (That's not to say I don't keep finding mistakes on my site, but there are some glaring errors on yours - maybe you haven't got round to the finishing touches yet, I don't know). It's like when I receive a CV with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors - If they can't take the time to get that right and press "spell check" then what else are they going to get wrong?

e.g.

Should be "needs more memory".

Should be "Keeping" and "Like" with capital. You also don't need the comma after "malicious software," seeing as it is followed by "and".

I've lost track of how many hours/days I've spent on my site in total. Your site is much better than when I started out

hey simon, a big oops :p I've corrected spelling on the home page i will check out the other pages now. :)

Btw the reason why i cant move anything on the contact form is because its a flash image or something, its so messed up :confused:

Simmy
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, she's done it in a really odd way! Some kind of crazy flash/java combo :\ She's also taken the data from my site :p

I would just start again and use a basic html form like I've done. Potential customers might have flash/java issues meaning they can't use the form at all.

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, she's done it in a really odd way! Some kind of crazy flash/java combo :\ She's also taken the data from my site :p

I would just start again and use a basic html form like I've done. Potential customers might have flash/java issues meaning they can't use the form at all.

she took data from your site ? :eek: shocking!! I apologise for this simon I really do i had no idea she had copied coding from your site mate.

i'm not sure how i would go about changing the contact form because it has to be linked to the style sheet.....oh dear the problems she has left is not funny.

Methical
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, learn how to use the <form> tag. Or you could easily set it up using DW if you really want.

Or if you want to do it this way, use an online form builder which will create the code for u :)

Contact Form Generator (http://www.tele-pro.co.uk/scripts/contact_form/)

Methical
04-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I was also going to add that your website contact page doesn't look 'inviting' to be asking general questions re your services/quotes/prices etc etc..
It just seems like an appointment form or somethin' similar..

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I was also going to add that your website contact page doesn't look 'inviting' to be asking general questions re your services/quotes/prices etc etc..
It just seems like an appointment form or somethin' similar..

thats a very good point actually I wanted it to kind of be a way for people to contact me, i'll take a look at that link you posted right now.

Methical
04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
or try www.emailmeform.com

That looks quite good. Its better than using the <form> because @ least the mailto: is hidden from the source lol.

Although you could always protect your source with a simple javascript

I sometimes use a simple javascript to put a message in the statusbar, quite effective.

Methical
04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
thats a very good point actually I wanted it to kind of be a way for people to contact me, i'll take a look at that link you posted right now.

Maybe a "subject" drop down box on the contact form?

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe a "subject" drop down box on the contact form?

I've done a new contact form but i cant paste it in the page it wont let me! :(

Methical
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
can i be of some assistance?

Lol this is really why we need an IRC channel as well

Simmy
04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
An IRC channel is a great idea. Might be worth setting one up, if Bryce doesn't mind?

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 03:43 PM
An IRC channel is a great idea. Might be worth setting one up, if Bryce doesn't mind?

maybe we can set up an unofficial one for situations like this ? :)

04-10-2009, 04:44 PM
No offense, but how does a website review warrant irc? The way I see it, we're essentially holding your hand to build your website. Nobody else on this forum has had so many posts, reviews, suggestions, etc for their website.
Many of the suggestions you got on the live site are the same suggestions you got about the demos that you showed us in the other thread.

I know I say this every time...but really....do you take this seriously? Why is something as simple as setting up a website such a process? Even after all the suggestions that were made on the original thread, the live site still looks pretty bad and doesn't really take into account anything anyone suggested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, even if it sounds that way....I'm just saying that if you're running your own business, you really need to learn to make some decisions on your own and learn how to present yourself as a real professional instead of some kid with a website that fixes computers for pizza money.

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
No offense, but how does a website review warrant irc? The way I see it, we're essentially holding your hand to build your website. Nobody else on this forum has had so many posts, reviews, suggestions, etc for their website.
Many of the suggestions you got on the live site are the same suggestions you got about the demos that you showed us in the other thread.

I know I say this every time...but really....do you take this seriously? Why is something as simple as setting up a website such a process? Even after all the suggestions that were made on the original thread, the live site still looks pretty bad and doesn't really take into account anything anyone suggested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, even if it sounds that way....I'm just saying that if you're running your own business, you really need to learn to make some decisions on your own and learn how to present yourself as a real professional instead of some kid with a website that fixes computers for pizza money.

the irc is not for my website, simmy has mentioned it before in another thread and i was replying. yes my site is **** I know that but there is nothing i can do about it so thats why i'm asking for help! I chose a very bad designer and i have to live with it, and i'm asking for advice on sites because I've never ran a business that had a website before so this is all new to me.

I thought technibble was about helping fellow techs get there business off the ground, a community for us all to share our successes and failures...

Simmy
04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
I was thinking of just a general IRC chatroom, not specifically for this problem. But now I think about it, that would take away most of the discussion from the forum.

04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
But you've seen websites? You've used the internet?
My main point is this; You've asked for TONS of help, then ignored the help (which is fine!) then came back asking for help again with the same thing...then don't know how to implement the changes suggested?
What do you want us to do? Design your website for you? Then code it? Then put it on a server for you? At what point do you decide to take some initiative for yourself and learn this stuff after it's been suggested to you?
I'm not going for a personal attack or anything, but this seems like a cycle with everything you've asked for help with on the site....people make suggestions to you, you then ask how to implement them, and it's like you want someone to hold your hand to do things business related. It just seems to me that you're not ready to be a business owner. There's no shame in that.... I mean, if you give this kind of impression through a forum, what kind of image do you present to customers and potential customers?
Really, take a step back....look at what you're doing and what you want to do, and make a plan of action on how to get there. Figure out how to look like and BE a professional and do it.

04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Also, I apologize for how harsh that probably came across. Believe me, I write that with the intention of helping....

Andyuk2007
04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
But you've seen websites? You've used the internet?
My main point is this; You've asked for TONS of help, then ignored the help (which is fine!) then came back asking for help again with the same thing...then don't know how to implement the changes suggested?
What do you want us to do? Design your website for you? Then code it? Then put it on a server for you? At what point do you decide to take some initiative for yourself and learn this stuff after it's been suggested to you?
I'm not going for a personal attack or anything, but this seems like a cycle with everything you've asked for help with on the site....people make suggestions to you, you then ask how to implement them, and it's like you want someone to hold your hand to do things business related. It just seems to me that you're not ready to be a business owner. There's no shame in that.... I mean, if you give this kind of impression through a forum, what kind of image do you present to customers and potential customers?
Really, take a step back....look at what you're doing and what you want to do, and make a plan of action on how to get there. Figure out how to look like and BE a professional and do it.

Ok first of all i did take your advice on board in the other thread and i did relay the suggestions you all made, the design was better but she didn't input the other changes which people had suggested, communication was only through email although once i had a conversation with her over msn.

Yes i've seen websites but i cant be seen as copying them As i didnt want to go down that road but the design she came up with is now not up to scratch.

Andyuk2007
04-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Also I know how about how to run a business but when it comes to websites its all new to me, In the past I've created hobby sites which have just been that a hobby but this is my business my livelyhood so I want to ensure i get it right, i dont know alot SEO and how rankings work so thats why i came here for advice on that and on a good design, i suppose my mistake was going for a theme that might be interesting.

Maybe going for a theme site was not a good idea huh ?

Simmy
04-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Looking again Andy, she appears to have taken a fair amount of text from other sites;

I was reading your Prices page and it sounded very familiar to me.

Our minimum charge is 35.00 which includes up to the first hour of service.
We do not charge a call out fee.

If the job takes longer than an hour, this will be charged on a pro rata basis. (For instance, if a job was to take one and a half hours, you will be charged 52.50)
We do aim to complete most jobs within an hour

If any replacement components are required,
these wil be at an additional cost. Alternatively you can provide these yourself and we will fit them for you.

We accept payment in cash or cheque (with valid guarantee card)

So I googled the last line and it is directly taken from another Bristol computer repair company website! Might be worth changing some of it slightly.

Andyuk2007
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Looking again Andy, she appears to have taken a fair amount of text from other sites;

I was reading your Prices page and it sounded very familiar to me.

So I googled the last line and it is directly taken from another Bristol computer repair company website! Might be worth changing some of it slightly.

ahh ok i'll edit it later, simon if i give you 200 will you do me a site lol ? :p

Methical
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Why you wanting to pay someone else when your almost there?

I would be tryin' to get some money back from your original designer if they stole text content from another site..

Andyuk2007
04-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Why you wanting to pay someone else when your almost there?

I would be tryin' to get some money back from your original designer if they stole text content from another site..

I'm only joking :p