PDA

View Full Version : Gotta give credit where credit is due!

TimeCode
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
@USACVLR

Thanks for saving my butt with that laptop! If I need another laptop repaired you're my go-to guy!

@Everyone Else

I recently had a laptop on my bench that I was going to check out the power jack on, so I opened it up. As I was doing so, the audio connector popped off the board when I was trying to take the cable out. I called Dan and he told me how to send it to him. I did so and now my client happy with a laptop that works perfectly. 2 repairs for a very reasonable price.

Thanks Dan!!!

usacvlr
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
You're welcome Tim :) Don't feel bad, I've seen it all... I actually re-soldered your CMOS connector as well as it was loose too.

TimeCode
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
You're welcome Tim :) Don't feel bad, I've seen it all... I actually re-soldered your CMOS connector as well as it was loose too.

I did see that on the final write-up though I forgot to mention it. :D Thanks again!

abe
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
hey tim or dan, how much did it cost, wouldnt mind sending in some of the more difficult laptops.

TimeCode
04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
hey tim or dan, how much did it cost, wouldnt mind sending in some of the more difficult laptops.

For the power jack, it was $79 (I think, including shipping) and an additional $20 to do the audio connector and he resoldered the cmos connector for free. Very thorough and quick too. If this were ebay, I'd give him an AA+++++++++ rating. :)

usacvlr
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah all mail order jack repairs are 74.95 total including return shipping. A repair can be purchased through the website at usalaptoprepair.com We also do pretty much everything else.
Cheers,
Dan
You can also buy through our ebay listings: I believe some are discounted right now at 69.91
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/usalaptoprepair_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

dhrandy
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah all mail order jack repairs are 74.95 total including return shipping. A repair can be purchased through the website at usalaptoprepair.com We also do pretty much everything else.
Cheers,
Dan
You can also buy through our ebay listings: I believe some are discounted right now at 69.91
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/usalaptoprepair_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
I got a question. How long does shipping take? I have a local guy here that is doing laptop jack replacements for $75 to $105. The only 2 things I don't do is laptop jack replacement and laptop motherboard replacement (simply due to the fact I'm a one man show and those 2 things are very time consuming). It usually take the local guy about 3 days to get the jack in for repair. If your turn around time is good with shipping, I may just send them your way.

frostbyte5014
04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I can say firsthand that this is a very good deal. I have done a lot of these and charge about $125 just because it is so time consuming.

usacvlr
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Normally if a system comes in in the morning for a jack repair it goes out by the afternoon. So in other words a system is never in the shop more than 24 hours for a jack repair. We ship all systems out by Fedex which is the fastest, cheapest and safest way to ship. To give you an idea of how fast I am for example: A normal system is completely disassembled in 5 minutes, 10 tops. Jack is removed and replaced in 5 minutes tops and then the system is reassembled in another 10 minutes. I've done so many that it's very simple for me no matter the make or model.

I got a question. How long does shipping take? I have a local guy here that is doing laptop jack replacements for $75 to $105. The only 2 things I don't do is laptop jack replacement and laptop motherboard replacement (simply due to the fact I'm a one man show and those 2 things are very time consuming). It usually take the local guy about 3 days to get the jack in for repair. If your turn around time is good with shipping, I may just send them your way.

usacvlr
04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I've made my living doing this for about 3 years now and it's been so successful that I opened a local shop. When it's real busy Fedex will often come up to 3 times(express, ground and ground contractor), ups comes, dhl comes and the post office guy drops one off. I try to get every customer to ship by Fedex because it's cheapest, safest and fastest. I cringe every time I see a flat rate priority mail box with a laptop in it.... LCD repairs are probably the second most common repair as far as hardware goes. Then failed drives and motherboards. The walk in shop gets a lot of usual virus/windows issues.

purple_minion
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
While this isn't a comment on the topic, I will say whenever I get a package by FedEx it looks like the guy needed to take out some frustration or maybe someone along the way didn't have a seat in their truck and used my box instead. UPS for me any day. Although I've heard of people who worked at ups and were pressured to throw packages into or off the truck instead of safely handling them. Who knows if they are just stories or what, but I'm sure there is some truth in them as everything is about the bottom line these days from outsourcing to cheap parts to planned obsolescence.

usacvlr
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
small square flat packages make great frisbees. UPS is Xul the destroyer here..

While this isn't a comment on the topic, I will say whenever I get a package by FedEx it looks like the guy needed to take out some frustration or maybe someone along the way didn't have a seat in their truck and used my box instead. UPS for me any day. Although I've heard of people who worked at ups and were pressured to throw packages into or off the truck instead of safely handling them. Who knows if they are just stories or what, but I'm sure there is some truth in them as everything is about the bottom line these days from outsourcing to cheap parts to planned obsolescence.

purple_minion
04-08-2009, 07:56 PM
small square flat packages make great frisbees. UPS is Xul the destroyer here..

lol, well who doesn't like a good game of ultimate laptop frisbee now and then?

Personally after having to COMPLETELY disassemble a laptop to get at the motherboard to resolder a broken jack, I can't imagine doing it THAT fast, especially having to remove every damn board and screw on the thing. I think if I did it again I might be able to push 10-15 minutes, but to do it from scratch without any manual (not that it helped since every screw eventually DID come off) would be insane.

On a related note, I fixed my friends cellphone, the SMD legs for his charger came off the board and a little fine tipped soldering did the job. Too bad it has some crappy spring contacts and a loose adapter anyway... but now it at least charges! ;)