PDA

View Full Version : Any decent free website hosting?

joe3k
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone know where I can get some free website hosting? I had a website before but I found I got few calls from having it... it lapsed and I let it go. However I'd like to give it another try but ideally would like to find somewhere to host it for free if possible.

Methical
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
www.zymic.com

joe3k
04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Cheers Methical. Sounds good. I don't need much space and I can't see bandwidth being an issue. Your site appears to have no ads, so I guess I should really be asking... is there a catch? Off to read into it more... almost looks too good to be true :-)

Methical
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Nah don't really have a problem with Zymic. Works fine for me! I just use it for my DVD catalogue :)

frostbyte5014
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Just beware that hosting with a free host you may not be able to transfer later and may have ownership issues.

joe3k
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Hmmm. My last hosting crowd went out of business on me. Wonder if I'll have trouble transferring, hope not but who knows what way it will be. Got signed up with Zymic, but cannot create free web host. I think they're experiencing trouble with their 3rd party company. Ho hum. Can't complain too much if it's free, lol.

Methical
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Hmmm. My last hosting crowd went out of business on me. Wonder if I'll have trouble transferring, hope not but who knows what way it will be. Got signed up with Zymic, but cannot create free web host. I think they're experiencing trouble with their 3rd party company. Ho hum. Can't complain too much if it's free, lol.

Actuallly, on reconsideration joe3k, I wouldn't go with Zymic lol.
I just logged into Zymic, and my website is no longer there! And the URL no longer works :(

Jory
04-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Don't use free hosting for your business. At the bare minimum you should buy a $10 domain, and use one of the junk hosts that are like $30/year. Ideally though you should be paying for reliable service. You don't want a slow or down website representing you poorly to your customers.

I'm with a relatively expensive host, and I don't even have a website for customers. I host a private wiki, backups, and portable software for when I'm working via VNC. Having reliable web space is just another tool in the box. It shouldn't be too hard to justify the cost.

joe3k
04-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok, well I already have bought a website domain name. I used to get my site hosted free by a guy I met online and helped out one time. However he went out of business a few weeks ago. I only got a very small number of calls through the website so I didn't worry too much about it. I thought now though if I could get the hosting free or cheap I may as well have the site up.

Thanks for the suggestion but that www.webs.com unfortunately doesn't look like a viable solution, as it appears the site address would have to end .webs.com That would be unprofessional. There's a difference between doing things on the cheap and being unprofessional.

zymic.com looked really promising but they're having technicalities at the mo. It looks doubtful if a decent free hosting provider exists, so maybe I should rephrase my question:

Anyone know of a decent "cheap" hosting company, ideally UK or Ireland based. If I find the website actually does prove useful, I can change in the future to a good hosting crowd. For now I more or less, just want a site on the side.

joe3k
04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
These guys look ok, anyone have any experience with them:
http://www.3ix.co.uk/uk_web_hosting.php?gclid=CMCe4Yuk35kCFQquGgodXG8qW g

cmonova
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't get this part:

Thanks for the suggestion but that www.webs.com unfortunately doesn't look like a viable solution, as it appears the site address would have to end .webs.com That would be unprofessional. There's a difference between doing things on the cheap and being unprofessional.

You were asking about free hosting..That is not really being "cheap" that is spending nothing. If you are going to do "anything" either full-time or no the side then you might as well spend the money upfront. You can get hosting for less than $50 for an entire year (less then $5 a month)..that is "cheap" and would still be "professional".

seedubya
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Joe,

Ireland based, I'd recommend Blacknight's Minimus package. I'm hosting 17 domains with them for the grand total of €60 per annum. http://www.blacknight.com/

joe3k
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't get this part:

You were asking about free hosting..That is not really being "cheap" that is spending nothing. If you are going to do "anything" either full-time or no the side then you might as well spend the money upfront. You can get hosting for less than $50 for an entire year (less then $5 a month)..that is "cheap" and would still be "professional".

I've paid for the domain name and if I get the hosting for free... thats what I call on the cheap. It's a shame my last guy went out of business, he was dead reliable and the site was always up.

Anyhow just because you get things for free sometimes, doesn't mean they're unprofessional. A good example might be Linux, is it unprofessional compared to windows? Would you also tell people who supply Linux systems that if they are going to do "anything" either full-time or on the side, then they might as well spend the money upfront and buy Microsoft products?

Anyhow like I stated:

I should rephrase my question:
Anyone know of a decent "cheap" hosting company, ideally UK or Ireland based.

Thanks for blacknight suggestion seedubya, I've heard good reports about them before. However they're approx 50/year which isn't bad but the 3ix site for approx 8.50/year seems hard to beat. I'm pretty sure they had good reports, when my last guy stepped up and gave me the hosting free.

Edit:
17 sites for €60 per annum. Nice, is it as cheap to host 17 as it is to host one with them?

seedubya
04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
The basic package allows you up to 30 sites. Obviuosly they wouldn't want to be very busy though!!

ProTech Support
04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
You can get hosting for $4.95 a month! I am not sure how professional it is going to look for your customers when they see the URL of your website is

COMPUTERBIZ.THISFREEWEBSITE.FREEHOSTING.CO.UK

Not to mention the ad's that free hosting usually spams with....sounds like more trouble than anything to me...if you can't spend $4.95 a month on hosting, maybe you need a new biz plan :o

joe3k
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
What kind of a reply is that ProTech Support? Did you read any of the postings in this thread?

ProTech Support
04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I've paid for the domain name and if I get the hosting for free... thats what I call on the cheap.

Yes, I did actually....and what I am saying is most free hosting services either load your website with ad's or give you a ridiculous domain name as I stated above......

I understand you have a domain, which with a free host you will prob have to forward to the crazy URL that they give you.....in which your customers will see.....

Which lead me to my comment that you should just get a "cheap" (cheap not being free, but costing you little money) host that will suit your needs. For example "HostGator" is an awesome website host where packages start @ $4.95 a month. You can use your domain and do whatever you want with the site.

joe3k
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah I think I've resigned to the fact I'll need to pay for some cheap web hosting. HostGator look decent, pretty good they have unlimited disk space and bandwidth for 3.36/mth.

I keep coming back to 3ix though, 70p/month looks impressive and 40GB webspace, 100GB bandwidth/mth + 50 e-mail accounts. It looks like all (and probably more) than I'd need at the moment and at a bargain price.

Any reason why I shouldn't go with them? Can anyone better the deal, bearing in mind I'm UK/Ireland based.

camp.cool007
04-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Sorry, but free hosting is junk. I use www.justhost.com for the websites I have created and I've had absolutely no problems with them. The free ones are unprofessional, not decent, your url is junk (unless you pay), your bandwith and space are limited, ext. The list goes on and on.

Methical
04-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah I think I've resigned to the fact I'll need to pay for some cheap web hosting. HostGator look decent, pretty good they have unlimited disk space and bandwidth for 3.36/mth.

I keep coming back to 3ix though, 70p/month looks impressive and 40GB webspace, 100GB bandwidth/mth + 50 e-mail accounts. It looks like all (and probably more) than I'd need at the moment and at a bargain price.

Any reason why I shouldn't go with them? Can anyone better the deal, bearing in mind I'm UK/Ireland based.

Make sure your GUARANTEED AT LEAST 99.9% uptime :)

tartis
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
FREE=GARBAGE in web-hosting. Get something with no ads, guaranteed up-time, and good support (not some guys garage). $4-5 US per month for a basic host should be fine.

rusty.nells
04-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Try 1 and 1, they currently have a $1.99 (USD) per month special for 6 months and includes 1 domain name.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting

I've used them for years with zero problems.

vontreigo
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Anyone know where I can get some free website hosting? I had a website before but I found I got few calls from having it... it lapsed and I let it go. However I'd like to give it another try but ideally would like to find somewhere to host it for free if possible.

Ever thought of hosting it yourself?

joe3k
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thought about it but I don't have a dedicated server that I leave on all the time. For 70p/month, I'll prob just go with 3ix. Cheap and handy.

rtrahan
04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
http://webhostinggeeks.com/

Here's something that might get you started..Web hosting reviews..

joe3k
04-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Opening new thread, as this one is finished now.