PDA

View Full Version : True identity on Technibble

Johnthegeek
04-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't use my real identity here. I would pm anyone with it if they asked.

I'm not being mysterious. I am afraid I will post a comment about a situation or customer or mistake and in a simple internet search have that show up. I have a great business name (my wife came up with it). There isn't another company with the same name, so a simple internet search would show these discussions.

Does anyone else do the same?

Blues
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
I avoid revealing too much I don't want people who would be looking up about me or my business to find me bashing clients, who rightfuly deserve it, or getting stuck on what ends up a simple issue. I also don't want them coming here to find answers to issues becuase chances are they would use the information here incorrectly and create a bigger problem.

gunslinger
04-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I avoid using my real identity here or any where on the net if I can. Some people on here already know me personaly and others know of my youtube channel that catches heat.

RyanMeray
04-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I feel like I spent too long being anonymous. I figured the best thing I could do was own my Internet identity and use it as a marketing tool. Reputation management and all that jazz.

I have to censor what I say, obviously, so you won't find me bashing clients, but that's a trade-off I can live with.

PatrickB
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
This is a bit of a hot button for me. I don't post private information, but have no problem with the public knowing who I am. In other words, I recommend not posting anything here that you would be embarrassed for your friends, family, neighbors and customers to find.

There appears to be a larger societal issue that people are afraid that someone might actually know something about them.

In the U.S, Protected Health Information (PHI) is regulated by federal law with huge penalties for releasing so much as a patient name without authorization.

I have read that in Europe, there are also strict privacy laws that resulted from persecutions during WWII, that restrict what information a company may hold and for how long. Google has been in hot water with the EU over some of its policies.

We teach our children about "Stranger Danger". I believe they stay overly cautious as adults.

Identity Theft is frequently in the news. We are reminded to shred documents and to treat every phone caller with suspicion.

If taken to extremes, you may live your life in fear and obscurity, or be prudent and enjoy!

-- Patrick B.

Blues
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
This is a bit of a hot button for me. I don't post private information, but have no problem with the public knowing who I am. In other words, I recommend not posting anything here that you would be embarrassed for your friends, family, neighbors and customers to find.
My only concern is from a business sense. I do not want to lose customers becuase I chose to vent about 1 particularly annoying client who I likely won't see agian. I don't want to have given the impression of a lack of skills by having a post where I ended up saying "DOH! Why did I forget something so simple" we can't remember everything after all. I don't have an issue with Family or Friends viewing what I say here but clients it is different. I would also prefer clients not stumble onto here trying to figure things out themselves or trying to get help here becuase this place is for us not our clients.

frostbyte5014
04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I really don't have a problem with it. I don't feel the need to vent online about anyone because I feel it's immature and not professional. If you use the forum like I do which is to learn and help others you should have an online identity which you can be proud of. I know this type of work can be stressful and it helps to vent. Just be careful where and how you do it.:)

gunslinger
04-06-2009, 09:02 PM
My only concern is from a business sense. I do not want to lose customers becuase I chose to vent about 1 particularly annoying client who I likely won't see agian. I don't want to have given the impression of a lack of skills by having a post where I ended up saying "DOH! Why did I forget something so simple" we can't remember everything after all. I don't have an issue with Family or Friends viewing what I say here but clients it is different. I would also prefer clients not stumble onto here trying to figure things out themselves or trying to get help here becuase this place is for us not our clients.

I'll have to agree with this. Also due to some of my personal views of say Macs and Windows Vista and other views I have being very unpopular I don't need my customers seeing the less professional side of me. My customers don't need to know my political views, religious views, or personal computing habits. These things have nothing to do with me fixing their computer.

abe
04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
If only you guys would see what i look like you would freeeek out , i wouldnt want anyone to know who i am, or if i'm female or male, i like keeping my identity secret.

TimeCode
04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
My customers don't need to know my political views, religious views, or personal computing habits. These things have nothing to do with me fixing their computer.

Well, I'm a right-wing, bible-believing, computer-loving id10t. Most of my regular clients know my views just as I know and respect theirs. In the winter I even sent my Jewish clients Chanukah cards. It requires respect.

If you know me and like me, great. If you know me and don't like me, that's cool too. But if you don't know me and still don't like me, there is a problem.

dhrandy
04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I just don't bash clients online or post things I wouldn't let any one of my friends or family see. You can Google dhrandy and you'll find many forums that I have posted on and most are helpful. This is the only site that links dhrandy with G Whiz PC Repair. If you search "gwhizpc.com" you'll only get one link showing from Technibble.com. It'll probably be 2 in a couple days since I'm posting this. :D

PatrickB
04-07-2009, 01:45 AM
dhrandy, it might be a little quicker. I have found that Google is indexing new content here within a few hours. Technibble must be on its hot list. :)

-- Patrick B.

frostbyte5014
04-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Well, I'm a right-wing, bible-believing, computer-loving id10t. Most of my regular clients know my views just as I know and respect theirs. In the winter I even sent my Jewish clients Chanukah cards. It requires respect.

If you know me and like me, great. If you know me and don't like me, that's cool too. But if you don't know me and still don't like me, there is a problem.

Amen TimeCode

Jura
04-07-2009, 03:43 AM
You're all cyber stalkers out to get my credit card information.

gunslinger
04-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Amen TimeCode

I second that!

You're all cyber stalkers out to get my credit card information.

Crap. You found us out. :p