PDA

View Full Version : any major overlcocking buffs on technibble?

ithinkyou5.0
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
anyone on technibble like to play with overclocking? if so whats the farthest you've pushed ur machines?

Blues
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I find over clocking to be a waste of time and money. I have done it twice both on AMDs one was on a Black so almost nothing to it and I don't push mine too much. The other was years ago was actually my first PC and it went well but I forget what I had it at maybe got it to 1.6 it was a 1.3 Athlon.

arrow_runner
04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I overclocked a 486 for my 8th grade science fair. :)

dhrandy
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I also use to be into overclocking. That was back when I had an AMD Athlon 3000+ and an older graphics card (can't remember the name). It definitely helped out in the gaming department. I don't really think it's worth it if your not gaming.

A great overclock forum to checkout is www.overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net). They have tons of info on overclocking.

usacvlr
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Not worth the headaches you will cause. Save your money and upgrade. I think the last time I overclocked something was like a pentium 150 to a 180 :) Tried overclocking the original monster video card as well but got artifacts. It's just another way to 'bubba' something imho

frostbyte5014
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree with usacvlr (http://www.technibble.com/forums/member.php?u=8725). I mean it was fun when I was younger to overclock my own system but I wouldn't do it for a customer. Beside I make more off of upgrades.

dhrandy
04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't overclock for a customer, but some people love overclocking. You can overclock and get some awesome gaming results.

I don't think the OP is asking why do you overclock or if overclocking is bad. He just wants to know if there are any overclockers on this forum.

Fred_G
04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Well, since the multi core CPU's are so common, I don't overclock as much as I used to. My main computer has an Intel Q6600 with a little overclock. Depending on the application, I have had pretty good luck overclocking some Nvidia 8800GT cards.

I like a properly cooled and overclocked computer. Just seems much more responsive. Of course I would not sell an overclocked box. It is a fun little hobby. :cool: