PDA

View Full Version : Is antivirus software for Exchange servers necessarry?

Stu
04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I have an SBS 2003 network running Exchange. I currently have NOD32 for Exchange running on the server, and all workstations run their individual copies of NOD32.

My question is: is antivirus software for Exchange necessary when antivirus software that scans email is already installed on the workstations?

LunchBox
04-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I had the same question when I worked at a consulting shop. I just cant remember what my boss gave me as an answer. I just found the link that may help with your question.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166

SOHO-NZ
04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Using both is recommended - but costs more.

Without Exchange protection, the virus can infiltrate the exchange database, then cause problems when Outlook tries to sync. I have seen this on a site with only NOD32 file protection on an SBS.
(I offered them the XMON Exchange protection, and they turned it down , then seemed to think it was my fault when this happened!!).

They're no longer a customer, and I'm happy about that, for several reasons.

(Edit) I have found that the chances of email viruses hitting the server are MUCH higher when using direct SMTP delivery - if the customer is just using POP3 retrieval, most of the viruses are already filtered by the web host (does depend on the host though).

Blues
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
My office we have 3 or 4 AV in place. The firewall has an AV to check files being downloaded, this has stopped me from getting the repair utility kit while at the office. We have AV on each PC, We have AV on the Servers, we have AV on the Spam Filter, and we have AV on Exchange.