PDA

View Full Version : Complete Security Solution

Confused
04-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Hi, I'm new here. This is a really cool and informative forum. Really digging it here!

I've been skimming through the threads and found some interesting comments about anti-virus and spyware removal programs but found little about software firewalls.

What would you recommend as a complete security solution for a customer?

Whenever I end up reloading a customer's computer I make sure that I install the following programs.

AV:
Free AVG

Firewall:
Zone Alarm Free Version

Spyware Remover:
Lavasoft Adaware SE

Browser:
Firefox

I'm sure there are some better programs out there. I'm trying to compile a list of programs to install that pretty much cover the gamut of security vulnerabilities. Any category or program type that I'm missing? What do you install from each program category?

Thanks.

P.S.: I didn't see another thread asking this question so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate topic.

gunslinger
04-03-2009, 04:35 AM
AV:
Free AVG

New version is slow and bloated. A much better free option is AntiVir Personal. For paid stick with Node32 or Kaspersky.

Firewall:
Zone Alarm Free Version

I never install a software firewall if they have a router.

Spyware Remover:
Lavasoft Adaware SE

SpywareBlaster is what I use. The typical user will never use an antispyware app and it will just slow down the system.

Browser:
Firefox

Useless unless you make it the default browser and hide IE.

frostbyte5014
04-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Try the Untangle open source gateway with the rerouter technology. You can install it on top of any xp system. www.untangle.com

l337
04-03-2009, 06:27 AM
firewall will cause the average home user to acidently block things like explorer.exe then ring u back saying you broke their internet :P

avg is bloatware and slow but makes customer who get scared by stuff like conflicker which was all over the news feel a little safer. altho avira is definatly a good alternative.

and as for spyware removal id just leave spybot cause i agree no one uses it. just leave it so if the pc comes back its already on there ready to go with a quick definitions update.

pcmac
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
looking at their Untangle forum,dont see anything on Untangle for Windows,single workstation user,have you set it up on your workstation?

it looks like you should test this first on a spare machine or u could end up in a nightmare of problems

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Quick_Install_Guide:_Untangle_for_Windows

Try the Untangle open source gateway with the rerouter technology. You can install it on top of any xp system. www.untangle.com

DanF
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I never install a firewall, since most of the people nowadays have a router. If not, I just leave the inbuilt firewall on. When I installed a firewall and a real-time anti-spyware they phoned back and told me that their system is slower than before. Even though I gave them the reasons why it's slower but they prefer to have a faster system with no firewall or anti-spyware :confused: I try to do my best and explain in simple terms how stuff works and talk with them about security, but if the don't want anything... I can't do anything.

abe
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
New version is slow and bloated. A much better free option is AntiVir Personal

Which version of AVG do you mean 8 or 8.5 , 8.5 is great.

Abe

Daifne
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Zone Alarm has been causing lots of problems with Firefox lately. I give them Comodo (firewall only) with Avast and I sell them Malwarebytes.

TimeCode
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I've seen more harm than good done with software firewalls. I just use the Windows Firewall and the router for home clients.

In fact, lately, due to some bad experiences, I am thinking of closing our open residential home users practice, and focus ONLY on business accounts. We will still accept new residential accounts, only if they are referred to us by our current residential clients, or work for a business we service.

Please, start another thread and share what happened. I am sure this could be quite informative.

nonchalant
04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
You dont need a software firewall these days like you did in the days of dialup.

Most ADSL modems have inbuilt firewall options and that combined with the windows firewall (particularly the one in Vista) is sufficient.

joe3k
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
New version is slow and bloated. A much better free option is AntiVir Personal. For paid stick with Node32 or Kaspersky.

I never install a software firewall if they have a router.

SpywareBlaster is what I use. The typical user will never use an antispyware app and it will just slow down the system.

Useless unless you make it the default browser and hide IE.

Installing firefox isn't exactly useless. It's a great browser and even if the user chooses to use IE, who cares. Some day when they cock it up and you can't get logged in remotely to fix their pc, tell them to fire up firefox and bang you're in... a very useful alternative to have and can save a site visit.

Confused
04-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I don't agree that software firewalls are useless, but maybe not neccessary. ZA has provided me great protection and I have a router as well. I absolutely disagree that Firefox and spyware removal programs are useless. Users need education on why it's better to browse with Firefox and why they should run spyware removal programs monthly. Granted, most users won't listen, but I have personal experience where I've found users who do!

Thanks for the suggestions of anti-virus programs. Granted, the most important thing would be the AV software.

RyanMeray
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I just witnessed a system with Avira get totally pwned by Virut. The irony being that the Avira files themselves got infected, and yet, slaved to another computer, those same files were not detected as infected by Avira. I had to run AVG on the Avira files to detect their infection.

Yay for multiple scanners. Boo for virut.

I hate this thing.

SOHO-NZ
04-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I don't agree that software firewalls are useless, but maybe not neccessary. ZA has provided me great protection and I have a router as well. I absolutely disagree that Firefox and spyware removal programs are useless. Users need education on why it's better to browse with Firefox and why they should run spyware removal programs monthly. Granted, most users won't listen, but I have personal experience where I've found users who do!

Thanks for the suggestions of anti-virus programs. Granted, the most important thing would be the AV software.

Software firewalls do improve your system's security, but in my experience most user's either ignore or cannot understand them - which leads to further problems - either they allow everything that asks for access, or they deny something important - or a new version of the firewall gets installed, and for example, blocks all DNS requests.

purple_minion
04-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Firewalls are good for OUTGOING connection attempts. The average user wouldn't know the difference or even suspect anything is wrong when there keylogging virus tries to phone home.