PDA

View Full Version : Soldering

Sevdog
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
In my ongoing quest to broaden the scope of repairs that I am able to perform I want to learn how to solder. What is the best way to go about this? Just buy the equipment and start mucking around on dead equipment? I want to have the proper tools and learn good technique so I am kind of concerned about just teaching myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marius
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Time and patience. Get a 25W Soldering iron (this will help for not burning transistors and stuff...You can always go higher with the wattage as you get better).
Wait till the tip is burning hot ( NOT blue). First heat the wire. Once hot, apply the solder to the wire NOT the tip of the soldering iron as this will create dry joints...The solder will melt because of the "wire's" heat. Slightly just rub it into the tip of the wire...Now you have a wire with solder on it...Next do the same with the other wire or component...Once BOTH have solder on them, it should go like a breeze...You'll just need to get it smooth by practicing ;)
Hope this helped.

PS: Always have a "clammy" spunch at hand to wipe of the leftover fragments of solder from the iron with a fast movement

dhrandy
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Here are some soldering videos.

http://www.expertvillage.com/search.htm?s=solder

The only thing that really makes you better is practice.

Sevdog
04-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I know its going to take some practice. I just want to make sure that I learn correctly so that I dont do crappy work.

l337
04-02-2009, 10:46 PM
desolder (remove components first) and make sure u never have to folrce them u just make sure u apply the right amount of heat and they should just slide straight out. but im by no means pro im just learning myself :P

mekon
04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I taught myself to solder with educational toys from Maplins.

frostbyte5014
04-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Use solid core solder and use some liquid flux. It makes it soooooooo much easier and look great when done.

Marius
04-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Use solid core solder and use some liquid flux. It makes it soooooooo much easier and look great when done.
Yep...Especially the flux...its a "Must Have" :)

wideawake
04-04-2009, 03:41 AM
Ring up your local Vocational-Technical High School and inquire about an electronics class they might offer in the off hours.

Great place to gain a little knowledge about a ton things from very good instructors. Wanna learn how to weld? Try plumbing maybe? Build a shed? Fix your car?

The other thing you gain is the knowledge of what works best while using someone else's equipment!

dhrandy
04-04-2009, 03:55 AM
1. Wanna learn how to weld? 2. Try plumbing maybe? 3. Build a shed? 4. Fix your car?

The other thing you gain is the knowledge of what works best while using someone else's equipment!
1. Already know how. Took a college class in high school that was offered.
2. No.
3. I live in an apartment.
4. Already know that one too.

Great idea about the college. I already have a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology. That's where I learned my soldering.

NYJimbo
04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
I've been soldering for a while now but the best stuff I learned from youtube videos. Some amazing techniques and really good examples of how to do things are free on those videos. I'm doing chip work now that I would never had dared a few years ago.

btw- I always use rosin core solder, but it must be said, you can never have enough flux. Learn how to use it and it makes your work so much easier and helps perform techniques that would be impossible without it.

purple_minion
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I've been soldering for a while now but the best stuff I learned from youtube videos. Some amazing techniques and really good examples of how to do things are free on those videos. I'm doing chip work now that I would never had dared a few years ago.

btw- I always use rosin core solder, but it must be said, you can never have enough flux. Learn how to use it and it makes your work so much easier and helps perform techniques that would be impossible without it.

Agreed, I love to flux. ;) I had to, sorry.

But flux does make everything nice, ESPECIALLY small wire work etc.