PDA

View Full Version : I shared c$ on the network but can't access other folders

Majestic
04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I have a weird issue. I was at a clients where I setup 5 computers networked. One of the 5 computers is a new laptop which I had to add to the backup schedule. I accessed c$ on the network using the users normal login and pass (and yes he is an administrator).. However, I get access denied when trying to get to the documents and settings folder.

I don't want to have to share every directory one at a time on the network or have to add EVERYONE into the share group (big security risk of course). If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it. Not sure why it's not letting me in.

Majestic

seedubya
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Edit: sorry, misunderstood the question

geekhelp4u
04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
have you tried to take ownership of the folder?

also... what OS are they running?

Blues
04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Some folders specificly such as documents and settings are restricted to that user only so if it is not that users ID being used then it can and may fail. Do the source and destenation machines have the same login IDs and passwords? If so this might be the issue as when logging in it might be loggin in as the source machines ID not the destination. You can fix this by using the following for the username it can be used also for good measure MACHINE_NAME\USER_ID and if it is domain related which from sounds it is not USER_ID@DOMAIN I have not tried so I don't know if USER_ID@MACHINE_NAME works.

Majestic
04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Some folders specificly such as documents and settings are restricted to that user only so if it is not that users ID being used then it can and may fail. Do the source and destenation machines have the same login IDs and passwords? If so this might be the issue as when logging in it might be loggin in as the source machines ID not the destination. You can fix this by using the following for the username it can be used also for good measure MACHINE_NAME\USER_ID and if it is domain related which from sounds it is not USER_ID@DOMAIN I have not tried so I don't know if USER_ID@MACHINE_NAME works.

The computers are on a workgroup. The user id and password is unique and that's the only one I used to access his computer. I'll try again with the full network path and see...

Majestic

Majestic
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
have you tried to take ownership of the folder?

also... what OS are they running?

Well the thing is, I don't need to take ownership of the folder. It's over the network, not directly local. I'm simply accessing the laptop c$ share in an attempt to add certain folders and files to the backup queue on the backup server.

They are running Windows XP Professional.

Majestic

LunchBox
04-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Have you given access to "everyone" group?. Not the everyone that is part of the laptop workgroup, just everyone.

Majestic
04-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Have you given access to "everyone" group?. Not the everyone that is part of the laptop workgroup, just everyone.

Excuse my... ignorance.. But I thought that was the same thing? when I go into advanced properties of a share and added everyone to the group allowed to access the folder I thought that allowed everybody on the NETWORK to access it without a pass?

Majestic

LunchBox
04-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Excuse my... ignorance.. But I thought that was the same thing? when I go into advanced properties of a share and added everyone to the group allowed to access the folder I thought that allowed everybody on the NETWORK to access it without a pass?

Majestic

Sir,

You are correct. I answered to quickly. Part of what I meant is that sometimes when adding permissions you get the name of the machine with the user xxxxx\user which in this case it would be everyone. But I guess this is more that you are login into the PC remotely.

Can you manage the computer remotely?
Have you tried connecting to the share like this?
Net use X \\PC_Name\c$ /user everyone or admin PASSWORD ?

Are the Share Permissions and Security (NTFS) Permissions properly set?

Majestic
04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Sir,

You are correct. I answered to quickly. Part of what I meant is that sometimes when adding permissions you get the name of the machine with the user xxxxx\user which in this case it would be everyone. But I guess this is more that you are login into the PC remotely.

Can you manage the computer remotely?
Have you tried connecting to the share like this?
Net use X \\PC_Name\c$ /user everyone or admin PASSWORD ?

Are the Share Permissions and Security (NTFS) Permissions properly set?

ahhh.. It's always some stupid thing! Apparently there were two issues. a) the user himself did not have a password but rather only the administrator. I was accessing the share with the username / pw as opposed to administrator / pw. This was setup the same day I got there. A bit of a mix up. Additionally, the net use command had conflicting switches further screwing up proper access.

Now that I got that cleared up it's all working.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Majestic