PDA

View Full Version : Network hardware keeps locking up

Borris
04-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi

I have a client with a network with a 24 D-Link switch connecting to 4 other 5 port switche's with all PC's connected to UPS's and 2 other industrial machines connecting to the network with cat 5 and network cards.

every time there is a power spike or dip the network locks up and we have to shut down most of the switches, server and pc's to get it up and running again.

any ideas ?? :confused::mad:

l337
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
put the switches on a ups aswell so there are no spikes?

TimeCode
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Are we to assume there is no router and there is a server which is providing DNS and DHCP functions? If so, shouldn't simply rebooting the server suffice? Have you performed any tests to see if bringing in other switches helps?

And I hope you have better luck than I have with D-Link. I might recommend dumping those.

Borris
04-02-2009, 06:05 AM
The network is running Fix IP and even then it takes a while to come up after resetting the server and switches, and I have alredy swopt out the main switch and UPS, I am swopping the rest of the switches today as well as testing it with a Fluke tester.

TimeCode
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I can't really understand you, but are you saying that all of the switches are on UPS based power backup?

Also, FIX IP, I assume you mean static IP addressing. That's great, but what is in charge of keeping the pool of IP addresses? Is it a server, a router, what?

Do certain segments of the network go down, or is it all of the network? Do you have any HUBS on the network? How many PC's are on the network? Why do they all have static ips?

I am now guessing from what I've seen:
1) That there is no server
2) That there is no router
3) That the machines are static to avoid having #s 1 & 2
4) That there are significantly larger problems here than just power spikes and dips.

@Borris, Could you send us a network topology so we can see exactly what the current state of the network is?