PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Web Site review request...

jhoppe
03-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Good Evening all,

This redesign has been in the works for months, but I just got enough time today to start a rough draft of the template/ home page. I got the feel of the site from the local computer shop, Milwaukee PC http://www.milwaukeepc.com as well as looking over the site of one of the members here, hawksys.

http://www.milwaukeetechs.com/MT_REDESIGN/home.php

I realize that I am going to go over the 'post-it note' image to have it match the white background, as well as tweaking the service descriptions.

I am gearing the site towards businesses, not residential users, and my big push begins the second week of April so I'd like to have a final draft by then...

Any reviews, good or bad???

Thanks!

03-29-2009, 04:17 AM
It's basic, but it looks like a decent start to me.
I will say that I'm not a fan of the paragraph of text, then the "Our Services" image. You might want to consider writing a little more for your index page, and move the services part of it to your actual services page.
The reason I say that; If you write a bit on the home page, something like "....offering computer service and repair in the Milwaukee area...." it helps a small bit with seo.

Methical
03-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Agreed.
Services on services page.
It is very basic, im more of a fan of the web 2.0 standards.
And I dont know what this line here is for
<meta name="keywords" content="credit repair, repair credit, raise credit rating, low credit score, improve credit" />
Does not seem relevant at all. And I don't know why you would want to base the design of one of your local competitors, people can bet mixed up when viewing both the websites thinkin' its the same.

Make your business your own, rather than lookin like someone elses =)
Good effort though! Thats just my 2 cents

Simmy
03-29-2009, 09:49 AM
The drop down menu doesn't quote work properly for me (FF 3.0.8) - it overlaps the top level.

I really like the simple design actually. Maybe a bit of colour in the text wouldn't go amiss?

topshelfpc
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Does not seem relevant at all.

Yeah, I don't think you want customers who have bad credit!

jhoppe
03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!!

Here was my reasoning for the short description of the service categories on the main page...

1. It quickly shows the business what I can do for them. How many seconds do they spend on a site and without finding what they need? I also forget the number of clicks they typically do before leaving if they don't find what they need.
2. I do plan on a rather lengthy, but split up and divided description of each service section, including legal information that they should follow, benefits - both immediate and long term, as well as what could happen without the service. I may also include real world examples/ experiences.
3. Content on home page. I hate web pages that have very little content on the home page, not only for seo purposes, but for lack of up front information that the visitor may be looking for.

I pretty much only used that image on the home page to visually separate the intro from the services descriptions/ links. I tried a generic 'services' header, but it looked like the area needed SOME type of image vs. more words. How should I break that page up do you think??

For the meta tags, I stole the table layout from one of my past clients...I still brag about that particular site because up until when I release this new site, it is still my favorite! Gotta remember to change those tags!!

Yea, IE6 has a slight overlap as well, but in FF, it is MUCH more pronounced!

For an accent color, I was thinking of the light tan or the baby blue that shows up in the post-it notes. What do you think of that sprinkled in various locations on each page?

I am definitely open to criticism as I want to make the site as user friendly, functional, and pleasant to look at as possible...please keep the reviews coming!

jhoppe
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Ah yes, I found him on craigslist in Delaware...

I kind of thought of that as a play on words... Milwaukee used to be known for Germans, beer, Lutherans and the Braves/ Brewers. Now, its gang rapes/ beatings, racial/ religious segregation, and high taxes, so its kind of a chuckle slogan, but kind of not.

What is the typical standard on something like this? I don't have the slogan trademarked or anything and I wasn't inspired by another company's slogan, so is it good business to come up with something else in a case like this with someone else having a similar one?

Jory
03-29-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.sunburstenvironmental.com/

If you're going to copy someones code you should take the references to their site out of it first. >_>

jhoppe
03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Someone else in this case is...myself. Check the IP's on both sites - they'll be the same.

Again, this is a first draft. I did not go through and change all of the alt and title tags. I specifically mean for this to be an initial draft to get a feel for colors, layout, visitor reaction, etc.

Any more reviews?

dhrandy
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I like it. It is basic, but I like it that way. Here's a website I designed for a church. They didn't want anything too fancy, so I didn't give them anything fancy. www.trinitygracechapel.com (http://trinitygracechapel.com)
Wow. That's early 90's basic. :eek:

Jory
03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I like it. It is basic, but I like it that way. Here's a website I designed for a church. They didn't want anything too fancy, so I didn't give them anything fancy. www.trinitygracechapel.com (http://trinitygracechapel.com)

It needs more animated gifs.

Andyuk2007
03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
It needs more animated gifs.

it was looking at a website back in the 1990's it was just horrible and very basic but as someone said if its basic they wanted basic they got

benrybin
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
You stole my slogan.

Just kidding you are more than welcome to use it. As far as the site i think it needs a little more color although i do like the fact that you kept it simple.

jj2000
03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
aaaaaaarghhh the blue hurts my eyes.:D:D:D:D:D

stevenamills
03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Any reviews, good or bad???

Thanks!

Actually, I like it, but I wouldn't put much stock in opinions here. As a group, repair technicians haven't got a clue.

I would give serious consideration to a Wordpress based site, as your format is very similar to many themes. It would be much easier to maintain and a well constructed theme has some SEO advantages.

Just a thought......