PDA

View Full Version : Remote HDD Testing Tools

joe3k
03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Do you guys use any software hdd testing for remote support calls?

I use the cd based ones for on-site calls to show a hdd is definitely screwed (like memtest only for hdd's), but have never found a good one for diagnosing if a hdd is faulty remotely.

Can anyone recommend one?

joe3k
03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone? Even a basic smart check tool would probably be useful. How do you guys diagnose a dodgy or failing hdd remotely?

joe3k
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Any generic ones though? Save me from having to find out what drive they have first. Oh by the way this is a good site for finding out the manufacturers hdd tools:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

However I would have like a generic one for windows... if such a product exists? Bit like the generic pc check hdd testing which I use for onsite and workshop testing.

PCERTtimh
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
With all the different specs that developers are putting into their hardware I would suggest what ACG said go with the particular brand in that system. One you are making sure that the diagnostic program is compatible that particular product right from the start, and many of these type of programs will also see if the correct drivers are loaded or need to be loaded.

Also, I would check the System Logs these are great to see what has been going on behind the scenes. As many users may have not been prompted with any errors but the system itself may have recorded a possible fault in a specific sector. I don't know how many times I have actually caught hardware about to die and had clients do backups nearly days before the actual hardware died so it could prove to be a vital tool when used properly.

Just my $.02

PatrickB
06-16-2009, 02:45 AM
HD Tune - http://www.hdtune.com/ - shows the SMART readings and performs a benchmark.

Check the Windows System Event Log for event types "ntfs" or "disk".

What the others said.

-- Patrick B.

purple_minion
06-16-2009, 03:16 AM
There is DiskCheckup, HDDScan as well.

seedubya
06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
@joe3k - thanks for the link. That'll save me running all over the net everytime I want to check for updates.

rbrents3000
06-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Search Google for SeaTools. Although it's made by SeaGate, it will test any drive.