PDA

View Full Version : Network Testing Tools

Tesla
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

I am considering investing in a pro network testing tool capable of testing cat5 and cat6 installations.

Interested to know your experiences with various manufacturers tools.

It would be beneficial for the tool to indicate shorts, crossed pairs, loose connections. Line length could also be useful if on a price by metre quotation.

Thanks,

Chris

joe3k
03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I just use a 20 quid job. It shows pin outs... dead handy. Has done everything I've ever required. I'm not a professional cabler but many of my jobs look better than some professional cablers do. Mind you I don't like the cabling jobs - good enough money but too much like hard work, crawling about and getting dirty as heck half time. Money is money though.

e2346437
03-30-2009, 04:15 AM
We talked the boss into a set of Fluke Cablemeter 1800's a few years back. They are insanely expensive. The set we have includes the master and remote, CAT5 heads with jacks, CAT6 heads with "permanent link" cables which are essentially just a really good quality permanently attached CAT6 shielded cable, chargers, and voice headsets. I think we paid $8k USD but they will find anything.

Keep in mind that cable pinouts are just the tip of the iceberg. You've got crosstalk and insertion loss and signal levels, and the Fluke meters will run all tests from both ends in sequence. If there is a break in the cable, it will tell you how far from what end it is. Somehow it can even tell the difference between a problem in the patch cable at either end from a problem with the main cable between the jacks.

Most importantly, for me anyway, is that at the end of the job I can provide the customer with a cable analysis printout of every drop that was installed. The Fluke will allow you to save all the data and will self-increment the report name.

Sure, $8,000 is expensive but for our company the investment paid off in under a year. When we utilize them, we bill for their time just as they were an extra man on the job. At $80 per hour, they were paid for in 100 hours of use.

Methical
03-30-2009, 04:20 AM
We talked the boss into a set of Fluke Cablemeter 1800's a few years back. They are insanely expensive. The set we have includes the master and remote, CAT5 heads with jacks, CAT6 heads with "permanent link" cables which are essentially just a really good quality permanently attached CAT6 shielded cable, chargers, and voice headsets. I think we paid $8k USD but they will find anything.

Keep in mind that cable pinouts are just the tip of the iceberg. You've got crosstalk and insertion loss and signal levels, and the Fluke meters will run all tests from both ends in sequence. If there is a break in the cable, it will tell you how far from what end it is. Somehow it can even tell the difference between a problem in the patch cable at either end from a problem with the main cable between the jacks.

Most importantly, for me anyway, is that at the end of the job I can provide the customer with a cable analysis printout of every drop that was installed. The Fluke will allow you to save all the data and will self-increment the report name.

Sure, $8,000 is expensive but for our company the investment paid off in under a year. When we utilize them, we bill for their time just as they were an extra man on the job. At $80 per hour, they were paid for in 100 hours of use.

I want one!