PDA

View Full Version : A question for the members here.

Fred_G
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, I stumbled across this site from some news article. Some very interesting articles to read! Not a whole lot of activity on the boards, but maybe that will change.

Well, here is my question. What do you think about this:

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html ?

How does it affect a computer during normal use and is it a possible security risk on a network?

I have been running this on my computers and several others for a couple of years, I have only seen problems with a couple of games. Other than that, you would not know it is running, except the CPU temps stay at the load you specify, so temps could be a problem if you do not have decent cooling.

I am curious about what happens to the CPU staying at %100 usage for a year vs usual use. Just curious about the impact on the CPU.

Have a good one! And if you want to experiment with the program, do me a favor and join my folding team. Ahh, this is not scamway, no money involved.

Eric

Bryce W
11-14-2006, 11:07 PM
How does it affect a computer during normal use?
I believe these things usually only operate when your CPU usage is very low (such as when you are not using the computer) so it shouldnt effect normal usage.

Possible security risk on a network?
Its always possible since the application is listening for packets coming from the other machine and runs them. I guess it could be possible to send some malicious code to it, but I'd assume these applications would verify the packets being sent to it. So, in short, its possible but I dont know how likely it is.

I am curious about what happens to the CPU staying at %100 usage for a year vs usual use. Just curious about the impact on the CPU.
Ive never seen a CPU die from overuse over time unless it was related to heat. (running the cpu too hard which made it hot + not enough cooling = meltdown). Usually CPU's just get outdated long before they expire from use.