PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' clips!

kprt
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Is it just me or is it impossible to open a laptop without breakin one or two plastic clips? I use a plastic tool and try to be very gentle but it never fails. I am beginning to think they make them easy to break so that they can tell if they have been opened up when sent in for warranty work lol.

Portis
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I use my fingers most of the time, just pop the back out first

Menaice
03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
i know how you feel, but it will get a bit easier as time goes on, me iam still at the point where i dred opening up a laptop to expose the guts. It takes me alittle longer then probably most people but hey i can do it. Sometime i will get it almost all the way off then 1 damn coner just doesn't want to come undone. When that happens i just walk away for a bit then get back at it after i have had a chance to collect my thoughts. I find that normally works if i start getting frustrated i just take a time out and work on something else.

Pc Fixed Right
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
service manual + tools = no broken clips

abe
03-24-2009, 02:52 AM

I agree with pc fixed right, with a service manual you shouldn't have any broken clips, it pays to get the service manuals they are cheap and sometimes even free online, and it saves you alot of work.

Abe

starfireone
03-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Sometimes you just can not help but break a clip or two. Seems to go with the repair job. When you have big hands like I do...it is never easy to not break a clip even when I am taking my time and being carefull. It depends on the book too. Some seem to come apart a lot easier than others.

hitch
03-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I find the service manual to be essential, but even with it somtimes you end up with a broken clip. Most times the clip that breaks is on a part I'm replacing however so it's not a big deal.

NWPhotog
03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Hmm, never broke a clip but I have only taken apart about 50 laptops. They are usually pretty straight forward. :confused:

hitch
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I've only broken maybe 3 in my time. All three happened on the same type of machine. I was changing the display on a lenovo (IBM at the time) laptop. The front bezel would often have a weak clip that would just let go, however they shipped a new bezel with every screen so I think they saw it was common thing to have happen.

kc0eks
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Laptops have flimsy thin plastic everywhere, I usually do fine but everyonce and a while I do break something. Usually no big deal, but it is annoying. I hate taking laptops apart.

Crgky127
03-25-2009, 03:19 AM
For me, laptops are not the issue, but some external hard drives are evil! I'm looking at you seagate :mad:

georgenoise
03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I've never broke one either, try using a guitar pick and just slide it down the bezel. That's my technique.

Majestic
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM

I completely agree. The laptops I've opened and NOT broken anything are the ones I had the service manual for.

These days unless it's a hard drive or memory swap or something of the sort I refuse to completely disassemble a laptop unless I have the service manual.

Majestic

Pc Fixed Right
03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Service manual + the right tool = no broken clips =)

After awhile you don't need a service manual anymore for any laptop it just comes with experience =)