PDA

View Full Version : Newby Troubleshooting

Valleytech
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I have been on here for a couple of months mostly reading and asking for occasional help. I have learned a lot in a short time and want to contribute in a small way. Let me just say to new aspiring techs, be observant and use common sense along with all the great tech advice. One example....I got a millisecond glimpse at a blue screen recently that would flash. This led me to replace the failing HD. This was after swapping PS, RAM and suspecting the MB. HD are cheap these days and worth loading OS before buying and swapping out the MB. Worked like a charm after the HD swap.

Oh, and make sure you plug the correct IDE connector, easy to make that mistake when getting preoccupied with all the above. I realized I had slaved my HD to my CD. Good luck and keep posting.

Valleytech
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I am not doing work for others at this point. These are my personal computers that I have picked up here and there. I am under the mentoring of a bonafide tech in regards to your question. I sense your concern and you have my respect.

Did you have any real prior experience before you started your business, or did you one day just decide that it would be 'wicked sweet' to open one?

03-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I got a millisecond glimpse at a blue screen recently that would flash. This led me to replace the failing HD.

Hopefully this isn't something that your mentor tech taught you. You should confirm that the hard drive was bad with a diagnostic test, rather than replacing it because you've already replaced everything else.

If you're not running some kind of hardware diag on a system like that, and only guessing at hardware, you're not learning proper procedure.

Valleytech
03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks, I'll take heed.

Hopefully this isn't something that your mentor tech taught you. You should confirm that the hard drive was bad with a diagnostic test, rather than replacing it because you've already replaced everything else.

If you're not running some kind of hardware diag on a system like that, and only guessing at hardware, you're not learning proper procedure.