PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Toolkit in the Car

allanc
03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I live in Toronto, Canada.
We get a good mixture of cold (-20 c), hot (36 c), snow, rain, etc.
As I add more to my toolkit I find that it is getting heavier and more time consuming to load/unload the car and to keep everything dry during the process.
Unfortunately, I cannot park my car in my garage.
My question is which parts should not be exposed to these temperatures and humidity levels overnight?

iladelf
03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
What about putting everything inside some kind of insulated cooler, once inside the car? I did that this winter with my hand sanitizer because it was always freezing up. Never did so after that.

My guess is that it should keep the temps of everything inside fairly moderated.

allanc
03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
What about putting everything inside some kind of insulated cooler, once inside the car? I did that this winter with my hand sanitizer because it was always freezing up. Never did so after that.

My guess is that it should keep the temps of everything inside fairly moderated.
You mean picnic coolers?

Jory
03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Here is a topic I made a while ago about the same thing:

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4117

Right now my real worry is condensation. Personally I just got a bag that's big enough for everything I want to carry, and also has enough space for my laptop bag. At least I only have to carry one bag, but really I just leave it home most of the time.

allanc
03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Here is a topic I made a while ago about the same thing:

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4117

Right now my real worry is condensation. Personally I just got a bag that's big enough for everything I want to carry, and also has enough space for my laptop bag. At least I only have to carry one bag, but really I just leave it home most of the time.
Thanks for the link.
Plus I have my briefcase and another bag with front seat stuff: GPS, sunglasses, cell phone and bluetooth headset, snacks, water and for the winter - gloves, ear muffs/hat and scarf.
I think this carrying in/out of my car is the major disklikes (other than government paperwork).
I would think that if one wants to be completely equipped they would need a hockey bag.

iladelf
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah, a picnic cooler, like an Igloo or something, allanc. Worked pretty well for me this winter.

And not a styrofoam one; a hard shell plastic one.

allanc
03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, a picnic cooler, like an Igloo or something, allanc. Worked pretty well for me this winter.

And not a styrofoam one; a hard shell plastic one.
You were saying that it worked for hand sanitizer (above).
Did you also use it for hard drives?
I was reading (elsewhere) that the heat and cold are really not good for hard drives.
Actually, I knew this already - but the additional information reinforced.

iladelf
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
No, allanc, don't have any real experience with it regarding hard drives, etc., but after all, if it keeps liquid from freezing, my guess is that it would easily keep condensation (and or heat in the summer months) from causing any issues.

Comtech Solutions
03-24-2009, 01:44 AM
I have had experiences with routers/access points failing due to cold. A truly Canadian issue, eh!

It's a pain to take the bag/box out every day, but do you really want to leave anything in the car at Yonge and College anyway? You never know when a crazed Habs fan might attack...

Ok I'm being a bit cheeky now.;)

allanc
03-24-2009, 03:21 AM
I have had experiences with routers/access points failing due to cold. A truly Canadian issue, eh!

It's a pain to take the bag/box out every day, but do you really want to leave anything in the car at Yonge and College anyway? You never know when a crazed Habs fan might attack...

Ok I'm being a bit cheeky now.;)
Hmmm.
Maybe what I have to do is separate all the stuff into what should come in at night and those items that can stay out.

Nathan H
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Does Security not concern you guys, I never leave leave anything in my car. dont want some light fingered person making off with it.

I know its a pain moving things inside and out daily but its much less of a pain than having to source all my tools and software again.

DanF
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I leave everything in the car boot, but most of the time it's in the garage otherwise infront of our house with the alarm switched on.

CharleslRay
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I had a client leave her laptop in the car and it snowed overnight. The laptop didn't start up the next morning and the only thing I could think of was to let it sit with the screen popped open at room temp for 24 hours. It worked just fine after that. Maybe the thermal paste on the processor froze or other hardware was too cold and tight to run.

And yeah, I never, ever leave anything in my ride. Even though I have security on it and its limo tint to deter break ins :D