PDA

View Full Version : Printers....?

Tiddle
03-17-2009, 02:49 PM
How did ya'll go from removing viruses andfixing computers to tearing apart a printer? I Recently received a call asking me if i fixed printers. I stated that i didnt but i wouldnt mind taking a look at it. ( figured it might be a driver problem )
If its the actual printer do any of and you fix them?
Did you just wing it and try your best or do u just avoid the work all together?

Quoting Client: "idk the damn thing wont print black but it prints color ink real light tho... and yes it has brand new ink cartridges"

Tiddle
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Awesome thanks for the info. :D

iladelf
03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm guessing you passed on that one, Advanced? I'd like to have a nickel for every call I've gotten that begins with, "Ya, I got this computer...it's like 12 years old...with Windows 98 on it..."

Um, yeah, Peter, right, umkaaay....

Tiddle
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
lol windows 98
were there laptops when windows 98 came out?

purple_minion
03-18-2009, 02:12 AM
lol windows 98
were there laptops when windows 98 came out?

My gf's dad found an OLD laptop, running DOS, and most likely windows 3 something. I can't remember but it was older then old and don't even remember seeing 95 on it to be honest. I found on it Duke Nukem, the old 2D side scroller that I played with for a bit. Thing was smaller then the new netbooks IIRC. Saddly I left it there and somehow the screen broke and got thrown out.

Also when I was in highschool they were chucking a lot of old pc's. My friend and I took some home and one was a mystery box, just a handle and nothing else. Well being kids we just beat the hell out of them. While doing the mystery box we knocked it off the table and out popped a frickin' keyboard with a CRT screen and 5 1/4" drive!!! It was the forerunner to laptops as it was a portable computer. If only I had known then I would have saved all those old bastards... sigh.

Something like this
http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/ibm_port/

luckman212
03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
maybe 10 years ago it was worth it to "fix" a printer- take it apart, test the components, clean it, etc. But nowadays with the inkjet $100 throw-aways, I usually just say if you can't fix it by updating the firmware/software, cleaning the nozzles, or giving it a good whack on the side, then toss it in the bin and buy a new one. Saves money in the long run, time is money ya know.

Menaice
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
speaking of old PC's i had a OLD dell optiplex in the shop today its one of our contract clients they REFUSE to get rid of this damn computer its a win98 with a 266mhz pentium 2, it was freezing up during boot it would take about 20 minutes or so to boot up. I found some OLD ram laying around and added 2 more 64mb sticks to it and it booted fine after that.

luckman212
03-19-2009, 03:27 AM
doncha just love those ol' clunkers? can't believe how people are so attached sometimes to these old beasts. Cost of maintaining a machine like that are just crazy compared to what it would cost for a replacement... what a shame.