PDA

View Full Version : Install xp to desktop without floppy or cd???

ell
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi, heres my challenge, luckily my customers are aware my attempts may be futile, they just want it restored for their kids. This is a ancient 2001 gateway pent III with failed cd and floppy drives. I do have a decent hard drive that has xp pro installed on it from when it was in another pc so ofcourse its not booting in this pc. Without a cd drive or floppy I don't know how to fix. Anybody have any ideas? Do I need to take to drive out and make some kind of bootable partition? I have HD enclosures for both sata and ide and extra drives, is this possible? :confused:

abe
03-16-2009, 12:41 AM
google is your friend there are lots of different ways to do this, the easiest from my experiance is, to copy win 98 boot files to harddrive, and the complete contents of win xp cd and install from the i386 folder. you'll find the guides out there, I would go into more detail only I have a bad bout of flu.

Abe

Jory
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
The following is copy/pasted from a topic on these forums:

Installing XP on a desktop or laptop with no diskette or cdrom drive

To install XP on cd-less/diskette-less desktop or laptop.

You have a laptop or desktop that lacks diskette and cdrom drives. You want to install windows XP on it, but can't without either a diskette or cdrom drive attached to it. Here's what to do:

1) install the hard drive as a slave in a working desktop system with a cd/dvd drive. Attach it to an available ide channel. If the hard drive comes from a laptop, you'll need a 44-pin female to 40-pin male laptop to ide adapter.

2) Format the drive. Quick or full NTSF format.

3) insert your windows XP install cd in the cd/dvd drive. When the initial install window pops up, exit.

4) Go to “My Computer” and look up and write down the drive letters of the CD/DVD containing the XP install disc and the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard destination drive is “D” and the XP install disc is in “E:”, go to the run command and type (or cut and paste) the following line:

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart: D: /tempdrive: D: /makelocalsource /noreboot (remove the space between ”: D”, without the space it's the code for the Big Grin smiley)

6) setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install, make sure it is FULL INSTALL. It will then ask you for a few more things including the product key. Enter the product key.

7) When it's done installing all of the required files to the destination drive, the command window will exit and your back to your desktop. Turn off your Desktop and remove the slave/destination hard drive. The drive is now ready for install on the new system. Install the drive back into the laptop or desktop you wanted to install XP on and boot. It will simply continue to install windows from this point without requiring any diskette or cd/dvd drive.

Since the destination laptop or desktop does not have a diskette drive, you will not be able to add third party drivers via F6. Also, I don't know if a slipped streamed install disc will work. But it does work off an oem disc.

------

If someone wants to find the topic I'll edit out the copy/paste. It was just faster to copy it from my wiki than to search for it.

abe
03-16-2009, 02:01 AM
hi jory great post, its even quicker then what I had in mind, will give it a try one day,.

Menaice
03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
IF... the network card is capable for a pxe boot or you have a network card you can throw in the box you can do a network install just deploy the install via the network using RIS (Remote installation service).

rusty.nells
03-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Why not replace the CD drive?

Starsky
03-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Good replies above, I had a similar problem the other week with reinstalling windows on an Asus EEE PC, since they dont come with a build in CD-ROM.

My first idea was to try and boot windows off a usb stick, which is rather involved. I tried a couple of times to create a valid windows setup on the usb stick, using guides on the internet, but i could not get the eee pc to boot from the usb properly, even though it worked when used in a desktop....
rather than stuff around with it more, i just borrowed an external cd-rom from a friend, but its another option for you.

good luck!

AtYourService
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
older computers bioses dont support booting from a usb so that is usually not an option

one method i used before was slaving the drive,create 2 partitions, one partition only 1gb and put the cd install files on that partition, and on the main partition i put io.sys and msdos.sys when you boot up just go to d:\i386 and run winnt.exe

TimeCode
03-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Why not replace the CD drive?

That's what I was thinking. Even if you take it back when you're done it would still be easier than the above.

dhrandy
03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
For the times your repairing desktops and an external DVD/CD drive don't work, you can always purchase a $20 DVD/CD PATA drive from Newegg.com to carry around.

purple_minion
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Why not take a cd drive as other suggested an use it to install xp. Don't even need to install it, just lay it outside the case on the floor or whatnot with the side open. I do it all the time with my linux boxes while I play. Perhaps I am missing the intent of the question? You could even sell them the drive at a markup because otherwise that computer is worthless as you will always and to play weird kid games or music or whatever.

Millerspcrepair
03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I Use a Bootable Flash Drive to install Windows Xp Pro maybe something like that might help you

PatrickB
03-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Thank you nelsonm for that original posting and procedure back in February!

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4365&highlight=E%3A\I386\winnt32.exe+%2Fsyspart%3A+%2Ft empdrive%3A+%2Fmakelocalsource+%2Fnoreboot (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4365&highlight=E%3A%5CI386%5Cwinnt32.exe+%2Fsyspart%3A+ %2Ftempdrive%3A+%2Fmakelocalsource+%2Fnoreboot)

-- Patrick B.

ell
03-17-2009, 06:52 PM
The following is copy/pasted from a topic on these forums:

Installing XP on a desktop or laptop with no diskette or cdrom drive

To install XP on cd-less/diskette-less desktop or laptop.

You have a laptop or desktop that lacks diskette and cdrom drives. You want to install windows XP on it, but can't without either a diskette or cdrom drive attached to it. Here's what to do:

1) install the hard drive as a slave in a working desktop system with a cd/dvd drive. Attach it to an available ide channel. If the hard drive comes from a laptop, you'll need a 44-pin female to 40-pin male laptop to ide adapter.

2) Format the drive. Quick or full NTSF format.

3) insert your windows XP install cd in the cd/dvd drive. When the initial install window pops up, exit.

4) Go to “My Computer” and look up and write down the drive letters of the CD/DVD containing the XP install disc and the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard destination drive is “D” and the XP install disc is in “E:”, go to the run command and type (or cut and paste) the following line:

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart: D: /tempdrive: D: /makelocalsource /noreboot (remove the space between ”: D”, without the space it's the code for the Big Grin smiley)

6) setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install, make sure it is FULL INSTALL. It will then ask you for a few more things including the product key. Enter the product key.

7) When it's done installing all of the required files to the destination drive, the command window will exit and your back to your desktop. Turn off your Desktop and remove the slave/destination hard drive. The drive is now ready for install on the new system. Install the drive back into the laptop or desktop you wanted to install XP on and boot. It will simply continue to install windows from this point without requiring any diskette or cd/dvd drive.

Since the destination laptop or desktop does not have a diskette drive, you will not be able to add third party drivers via F6. Also, I don't know if a slipped streamed install disc will work. But it does work off an oem disc.

------

If someone wants to find the topic I'll edit out the copy/paste. It was just faster to copy it from my wiki than to search for it.

Geez!! I wish I had seen this before I did it the way I found, I created 3 gb fat32 partition on old drive, installed dos on it and smartdrv and copied I386 folder to it, then put it back in the old thing and installed xp from dos....only to find out their xp key was invalid!!!

ell
03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I found the really old pc's won't boot from usb, unless you can find a bios upgrade for it

ell
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
That's what I was thinking. Even if you take it back when you're done it would still be easier than the above.

I tried swapping cd, still didn't work, mobo, ide connection, I don't know, really would have been MUCH simpler!