PDA

View Full Version : wuauclt.exe and ctfmon.exe I need help with these

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a virus or 2 on my computer but I cannot get rid of them I think the names are wuauclt.exe and ctfmon.exe . I have tried scanning for them with Spybot S&D but it does not find anything wrong. I have also tried to delete these from my process list and they just keep returning. Please help me I am lost and don't know what to try.

abe
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
hi,

did you google the two file names they don't sound like viruses to me, and btw there are many enduser support forums, Technibble is for tech's to help tech's

Abe

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
honestly i am thankful just to get this because everything else i have tried will not work the virus or whatever will just redirect me to stupid site whether i type in the forum page in the url or click a link to try to get there

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
you were correct though those aren't the viruses but i can't figure out what is wrong

abe
03-12-2009, 10:57 PM
maybe its time to call in a tech' since you can't troubleshoot it yourself.

Abe

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
or you could very nicely help me!! because if you are willing to walk me through it i wont be difficult because i know my way around a computer moderatley well

abe
03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
hi
this forum isn't for enduser's its by tech's for tech's so I would advise you to seek help elsewere,

and BTW did you read what TECHNIBBLE is about on the front page

What is Technibble? Technibble is a resource for computer technicians who are looking to start their own computer business or improve their existing one. Technibble also provides an amazing place for "technicians" to help other technicians via our forums.
Abe

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
no actually can't say i did but also can't say I cared enough to but thanks for being an awesome tech and helping so much. i honestly would go to another site or enduser site as you would call but the virus isn't allowing me to do so as i previously stated

iptech
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
They are usually standard Windows files wuauclt.exe is Windows update and ctfmon.exe manages the language filters in Microsoft Office apps, BUT they can be injected or replace by malware/viruses. You'll have spawning process, possibly a rootkit that is causing the malicious variants to replicate and reactivate.

Removing a rootkit or even a basic virus attack is tricky enough even when you're sat in front of the PC, I would never attempt to advise anyone, even someone 'who knows their way around a computer' how to do this remotely, there's just far too much that could go wrong that would foobar the OS altogether.

As its name suggest Spybot S&D is only designed to deal with spyware and cannot be relied upon to identify viruses, it certainly won't identify a rootkit.

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 11:22 PM
honestly i have been directed through getting rid of viruses before. if you are willing to help i am honestly willing to take any risk there might be.

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 11:22 PM
If it would help i could post a lof file using hijackthis

seedubya
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
honestly i have been directed through getting rid of viruses before. if you are willing to help i am honestly willing to take any risk there might be.

Then might I suggest you use one of the many forums specifically geared towards end users?

mattdevine32
03-12-2009, 11:26 PM
you gotta pay attention to everything i have posted i can't use them the virus is not letting me get to the site it is redirecting me to stupid site advertising products nobody needs!!!

seedubya
03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
But you can get here? Weird!!

Support your local economy - hire a tech.

Simmy
03-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't dream of going to a local mechanic and asking "go on mate, just explain how I can replace the gear box on my car. I'll take whatever risk is necessary even though I don't know what I'm doing and I can't figure it out for myself. I won't pay you any money for it, but I expect you to help me nonetheless". The same can be said for virtually any other field of expertise.

Yet some people seem to think it's ok to ask a techie for free help with their PC without giving anything in return.

As seedubya says, support a local company and get it sorted properly. If you don't know what you're doing, you could just make things worse for yourself.

iptech
03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
you gotta pay attention to everything i have posted i can't use them the virus is not letting me get to the site it is redirecting me to stupid site advertising products nobody needs!!!
It lets you get to this one, maybe if you can work out how to remove a virus yourself you'll want to buy Bryce's Business Kit.:rolleyes:

iptech
03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't dream of going to a local mechanic and asking "go on mate, just explain how I can replace the gear box on my car. I'll take whatever risk is necessary even though I don't know what I'm doing and I can't figure it out for myself. I won't pay you any money for it, but I expect you to help me nonetheless". The same can be said for virtually any other field of expertise.

Yet some people seem to think it's ok to ask a techie for free help with their PC without giving anything in return.

As seedubya says, support a local company and get it sorted properly. If you don't know what you're doing, you could just make things worse for yourself.
Absolutely, I wonder if anyone would even consider phoning the local restaurant to ask them how to cook the food they bought in a supermarket. :mad:

purple_minion
03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Apparently the nice way doesn't work with him. This is a forum for people who OWN A BUSINESS and put food on the table for their families with this business. Go to a lawyer and ask for free advice. Someone might help if you were willing to pay but we've had enough with freeloaders. This place is for techs to run some ideas/problems by other techs and get their input.

Also if you "know your way around a computer" then fix it yourself, google it for god's sake. If you can get to technibble you can get anywhere. Why would technibble be the only place you could get to? Perhaps because you're not smart enough to find another forum and you somehow landed here? Maybe you need to take the computer to someone else to work on it. Maybe you need to take the computer someplace where you have another computer that works and you can google on that one. Use your head. If your car doesn't work don't bitch about it, figure out a way to get to work/home.

You also want things spoon fed to you which is sick and wrong. If you can't even google the names of the files then you're not trying. Why should people take their time to figure out YOUR issues when you refuse to even try. It's one thing if you are PAYING someone, then that's fine and your choice because you are compensating them for their time and knowledge. Shouldn't people that know computer also be compensated for their knowledge and experience? Doctors don't give away prescriptions or see you for free, they demand to get paid for all the years in school, all the long hours and time spent learning how to FIX YOU. Exactly the same in any service or industry. Begging and being pissy about it certainly won't help your cause. Perhaps cousin Joe who is better at computers then you can help.

TimeCode
03-13-2009, 12:36 AM
no actually can't say i did but also can't say I cared enough to

you gotta pay attention to everything i have posted

So we have to pay attention but you don't? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Go pay a tech to pay attention to you. Maybe he or she can fix your problem as well as your computer. :D

mattdevine32
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
well if you guys are not willing to help which i am completley fine with and understand would you atleast reccomend some good enduser sites. i was not being pissy as some would say i just don't want my investment (computer) getting destroyed. I completeley understand where you are coming from. I honestly do understand but i just wanted some help.

abe
03-13-2009, 01:02 AM
there is tech-forum.net where people don't seem to mind to help end users

Abe

purple_minion
03-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Well since apparently you can't type in www.google.com in the address bar try this (http://www.google.com). Now that you are at google type in your issue, trying different variations, more info, less info and start clicking on links. Follow advice that you find until something works. If nothing works or you give up have fun reinstalling. Also there is absolutely nothing you can do that would destroy your computer by googling. You might lose your data such as emails or bookmarks, photos whatever, but your computer will still work once you reload your OS.

supertech365
03-13-2009, 04:47 AM
I swear this guys sounds like my neighbor from earlier. Richard, is that you?