PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions: picking the right website designer

Andyuk2007
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi all, I've got 14 different quotes by website designers on guru.com i've checked their previous work they all seem very good at what they do, how on earth do i pick one to do my site :p

As i said there work is excellent so choosing one over another is very difficult indeed.

How would you choose one ?

arrow_runner
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Customer service is important to me when choosing a vendor for anything.

Does anyone stand out in that regard?

seedubya
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
How much are you being quoted Andy?

Andyuk2007
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
How much are you being quoted Andy?

I've set the budget to $250-$500 Range.

Andyuk2007
03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
There are so many point and click or CMS systems out there that you can design yourself for free, with a very minimal understanding of designing, coding, or any of that.

To name a few;
Joomla
Wordpress
PHPSITE

Save yourself the money, and do it on your own. Just my opinion.

I have looked at those type of things but the problem is i have no experience of designing templates for them, templates i have seen are aimed towards a shop front kind of look. I dont sell any products such as computers or components

Jory
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Look at the code and pick the one that makes the most sense to you. Working on something written properly in xhtml/css is way easier than modifying a sliced up image positioned with a wysiwyg editor.

Andyuk2007
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I've just spent the past 30 mins having a look again at those programs but they are mostly blogging type cms programs.

TimeCode
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I've just spent the past 30 mins having a look again at those programs but they are mostly blogging type cms programs.

Yes, they are but that doesn't mean that they ONLY do blogs. You can use Wordpress (I don't know the others) to create standard pages. You can also have one of those pages as your default page so it won't look like a blog.

cmonova
03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I am assuming the site if for you. You said you looked at those sites and they are blogging type cms programs. Seeing that you have little or no experience in websites that may be the way to go. More than likely if you pick one of the people that said they would make the site for you then you will have difficulty making changes.

Pretty sure once it's built you will want some things changed so a blog type site might be best. Here is an example http://www.studiopress.com/
You can get the entire collection of templates for one price of $199.99 which is a great deal. You can change your site whenever you like and if you decide to start offering web design for customers you can use the themes over again and again with a few changes.

Plus, once your site is built you can login make a quick change and just click on "publish" and you are done and updated.

Fixedathome.com
03-12-2009, 12:42 AM
I'd have to agree with everybody else. Using a CMS system is the way to go. I did my original site using Dreamweaver and it was a pain when I wanted to update anything. I use Joomla now and you can log in as admin make a change and publish it in less than a minute. It's just a case of finding a template that you like and building from there.

rockhoptec
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
If you need something simple and effective, I have designed my own CMS using AJAX,PHP,MySQL,CSS and HTML. It works on templates and once your template is built you can modify the content on your pages with ease.

I have used it with many templates and on a few websites. You can take a look at my site which uses this CMS. It is very easy and is intended to be used for a website that needs content updated there is no calendars, blogs or anything like that, a picture gallery is coming just need time to finish it.

If interested let me know and you can see it working at www.rockhoptec.com (http://www.rockhoptec.com) or another one is www.littlelakesyouthtriathlon.org (http://www.littlelakesyouthtriathlon.org)

Todd

Andyuk2007
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
CMS are a good way i agree with that but I would still need a custom template and graphic work made for it since I need a business logo header e.t.c, I will take a look at wordpress again but I couldn't find any good template sites for it or many examples of what it can do for that matter. :rolleyes:

I googled "wordpress themes" but there does not seem to be many sites around

seedubya
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Well Andy, if you're set on spending money why not get someone on Guru.com to do a custom template for you. I know where you're coming from about graphics - I'm so bad at them that my six year old has better design and colour sense.

Andyuk2007
03-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Well Andy, if you're set on spending money why not get someone on Guru.com to do a custom template for you. I know where you're coming from about graphics - I'm so bad at them that my six year old has better design and colour sense.

Hiya, Yeah I had put aside some money for a good quality website Its really I need to do instead of attempting it myself and doing an amateur job at it :p Once its done I wouldn't have to change the graphics or layout but maybe edit the text here and there, that is easy for me to do its just graphics i suck at :p

I've got 14 bids to go through but i might end up just closing my eyes pointing at the screen to pick one lol.

cmonova
03-12-2009, 12:33 PM
This is a corporate theme:
http://www.studiopress.com/demo/corporate.html

Then you go to a picture sight pay like $25 and get a dozen or so Computer/Networking etc pics to use on the site. Now it is an IT site and ready to go.

In the long run it will pay off for you.

TimeCode
03-12-2009, 02:53 PM

I suck artistically and I'm partially colorblind. Occasionally I have people who ask me to design a website for them and I have to be honest with them... I can't do it. But once it is up I can do updates and whatnot.

Who here does CSS web design? I'd love to throw some business your way. :)

This is a corporate theme:
http://www.studiopress.com/demo/corporate.html

Then you go to a picture sight pay like $25 and get a dozen or so Computer/Networking etc pics to use on the site. Now it is an IT site and ready to go.

Wow, that does look good. :) Personally I use istockphoto.com to get images because they look professional and are really cheap at about $1.15 per image. Remember, this is web design so the images shouldn't be huge and larger files cost you more anyway. ;)

Andyuk2007
03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi all, I'm currently writing the services page content I only have a bit of it so far, I think it sounds fine but what do you think. ? I plan to have images next to the titles so it wont look so boring :p

PC Troubleshooting & Repair

We can diagnose and repair all sorts of hardware and software problems, so if your Computer is having problems like unexplained crashes or restarting or blue screens, error messages when windows starts up, internet or email problems then we will be able to help you call now to arrange for an appointment.

Hardware / Software Upgrades

We can advise on and install all types of hardware/software so you get the best from your computer. So if your computer is struggling to keep up with the latest software or games, need more memory, or you are running out of hard drive space then PC Wizard can help.

Computer Tune up / Healthcheck and preventative Maintenance

keeping your computer up to date is as important as regular servicing and changing the oil in your car. like any machine, your computer needs constant care and will become slower and start to have problems if not tuned regularly. This means keeping it free of dust, malicious software, and viruses to ensure the hard drive is maintained to reduce problems in the future.

rockhoptec
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Who here does CSS web design? I'd love to throw some business your way. :)

PM me TimeCode, I do CSS web design and always looking for web work
Todd