PDA

View Full Version : Why is Symantec covering up PIFTS.exe?

nonchalant
03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Apparently threads containing the word 'Norton' and PIFTS.exe and are disappearing from Google & Yahoo search results almost at a faster rate than they can be posted and Symantec is allegedly banning anyone that asks about it on their forum.

More here.. http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/computers-home-theater-technology/613616-pifts-exe.html

Resler
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe its some Magic Lantern like program. Not necessarily a keylogger but some sort of program made by some government agency for whatever. Or its something of their own doing something.

iptech
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I think you'll be OK without the tinfoil hat nonchalant, it's all explained HERE (http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200911/3179/Symantec-explains-PIFTS-and-debunks-conspiracy-theories).

arrow_runner
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
but life is more fun with our tinfoil hats!

MHCG
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn 4chan

TimeCode
03-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Tinfoil hats attract mind-control signals... (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/11/tinfoil_hats_as_government_plot/)

nonchalant
03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I think you'll be OK without the tinfoil hat nonchalant, it's all explained HERE (http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200911/3179/Symantec-explains-PIFTS-and-debunks-conspiracy-theories).

LOL all explained away in one article eh? Do you always accept explanations like that on face value? Your either very trusting of govt & corporations or your very gullible.

Banning newly registered users on the Symantec forum for simply asking about PIFTS.exe and having Yahoo & Google delete search results deleted all over an 'unsigned patch' & theres "nothing to see here"? :D

Also, the banning and deletion of posts asking about PIFTS.exe occured BEFORE the spamming, which occured because any posts about PIFTS.exe were being deleted. So the official symantec response is BS.

Im a bit busy atm but Im going to do a bit more digging on this when I get a sec. I suspect theres a LOT more to these shenanigans than meet the eye..

Note: Anyone deciding to Google this file should exercise caution. Apparently some unscrupulous scum have taken advantage of the hype surrounding this file and have setup links to viruses which show up on various search results.

nonchalant
03-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Looks like you may be on the right track Resler - I found a reference to the following post that has since been deleted off the symantec forum:

"Magic Lantern is keystroke logging software developed by the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Symantec, the makers of Norton AntiVirus and related products, is reportedly working with the FBI on ways to preclude their products from detecting Magic Lantern. Eric Chien, a top researcher at Symantec, emphasized the ability to detect "modified versions."

P.I.F.T.S.

Public Internet and File Tracking System

It goes offshore because there's no law forbidding sending it to foreign governments. If governments want to spy on their own citizens, it is normal for them to have foreigners do it in order to get around normal restrictions about spying on their own people".

How interesting..

iptech
03-11-2009, 01:35 AM
It's no secret that ALL operating systems and indeed any publicly licensed communication system will have back-door listening ports for the authorities. Many of the security vulnerabilites that are discovered in software and operating by hackers will be intentional back-doors that software writers have to include to satisfy the licensing and usage regulations imposed by governments across the world. If you recall back to the early 1990's the farcical situation surrounding Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) data encryption software whereby the American Government had to classify a small piece of otherwise innocuous software as a munition in order to protect internal security.

If you believe these back doors are there because Big Brother wishes to be informed of every aspect of your life, then you'd better keep your tin hat on wherever you are. Whatever you do once you've made your computer impenetrable, do not use the Internet, your cell phone, GPS sat nav, car tracker, credit card, call centers, highways, shopping malls, health services, store loyality cards etc, etc. utilll you can be sure these too are free from BB's gaze.

Having you personal electronic communications open for possible monitoring may appear unsavoury, but when you compare it to having such communication banned altogether or every communication logged, it's an enviable freedom that's unknown for much of the world's population.

iptech
03-11-2009, 01:40 AM
P.I.F.T.S.

Public Internet and File Tracking System

What if it were Public Internet and File Transfer System? Then it would be no more sinister than bittorrent technology would it?

nonchalant
03-11-2009, 04:07 AM
More on Symantec, FBI trojans (keyloggers), and 'Magic Lantern' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Lantern_(software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Lantern_%28software))

What I find even more amusing is Symantec's failed attempt to censure any reference to PIFTS.exe on the internet. Someone should have told them the internet cant be censured..lol

Fireddog
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Are you kidding? Did you actually read the article? 4chan.org a website which is a cesspool of imaturity and stupidity had like 200 accounts created from that site. And you don't believe that happened... um.. considering how folks just love to screw with companies .. That is so not a suprise and is extremely likely.
Especially if you did read their forums ... Symantec does actually allow folks to vent and post criticisms of their software. Its one of the reasons why they knew they had to fix their software and why the 2009 round of software has made a great improvement. But its easier for the anti-symantec crowd to believe its some government conspiracy?!! It always scares me to think that some here are supposedly high tech professionals... but they make these claims like this? Where is the intelligence in that?

thor999
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm all out of tin foil, could I use plastic wrap instead? :p

TimeCode
03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm all out of tin foil, could I use plastic wrap instead? :p

If you read the post that I linked to earlier, you would see that plastic wrap would probably be more effective. ;)

Blues
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Are you kidding? Did you actually read the article? 4chan.org a website which is a cesspool of imaturity and stupidity had like 200 accounts created from that site. And you don't believe that happened... um.. considering how folks just love to screw with companies .. That is so not a suprise and is extremely likely.
Especially if you did read their forums ... Symantec does actually allow folks to vent and post criticisms of their software. Its one of the reasons why they knew they had to fix their software and why the 2009 round of software has made a great improvement. But its easier for the anti-symantec crowd to believe its some government conspiracy?!! It always scares me to think that some here are supposedly high tech professionals... but they make these claims like this? Where is the intelligence in that?

While I agree 4chan is a disgusting and horrendous place and we should be ashamed we are familiar enough with it to know this. I do think how ever that there is something hidden to Symantecs agenda but I wouldn't really know what I doubt anything too malicous but malicous enough.

nonchalant
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Are you kidding? Did you actually read the article? 4chan.org a website which is a cesspool of imaturity and stupidity had like 200 accounts created from that site. And you don't believe that happened...

You would benefit from doing a bit more research before you post.

If you actually read my posts (or even bothered to do some digging yourself) you would see that the spamming by 4chan occurred many, many hours after Symantec had deleted valid threads asking about PIFTS.exe.. :rolleyes:

And Timecode, your a dickhead. Why dont you go post on the Wiggles forums or something - Im sure you will get a few laughs there. Moron.

iptech
03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Be careful where you dig around (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/11/symantec_social_engineering_attack) for information on this, the scammers never miss a trick!

Fireddog
03-12-2009, 01:08 AM
As you can see by that new post.. the scammers were the real culprits to blame and as the article states Symantec did make one mistake. And the scammers took advantage of it. These malware designers are getting quite evil now.. had a friend go to google.com... and found it stating..

"google recommends.. WINANTIVIRUS Pro 2009." And that image took over the entire web page. It was a new variant of everyone's favorite rogue malware.

But of course its easier to believe the conspiracy.. that symantec was behind the whole thing b:(lah blah. sigh.

nonchalant
03-12-2009, 01:19 AM
But of course its easier to believe the conspiracy.. that symantec was behind the whole thing b:(lah blah. sigh.

sigh..

You continue to post in this thread yet still have no idea about the facts surrounding this mess..

Seeing as you are unable to read (except that which you want to read) I'll post it again here in the vain hope you will see it - 4chan began spamming AFTER the original posts were made (not by 4chan but by paying customers of Symantec and others) and deleted by the forum mods. And the FACT is they were deleted well before 4chan began spamming. Can I make this any clearer?

I honestly hope you dont take the same approach to PC diagnostics and troubleshooting as you do to the 'analysis' of facts you have exhibited in this thread before you draw your conclusion..

Fireddog
03-12-2009, 03:22 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/03/11/Bad_Symantec_update_leads_to_trouble_1.html?source =rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/03/11/Bad_Symantec_update_leads_to_trouble_1.html

I read it bud. Its not the bad thing you make it out to be. This explains it quite clearly what happened. Your header makes it seem as if Symantec was trying to hide some EVIl thing from their clients. jesus. Look I know you hate symantec but goodness.

the real issue is how stupid so many are to jump to conclusions and how smart the malware creators are to take advantage of that stupidity for their own gain.

Also this is also being complicated by those who are seriously hurt by the economy.. as well.. http://techdirt.com/articles/20090309/1244214043.shtml.

Its up to us in the it industry to be doing the right thing and actually educating our clients instead of firing up the flames of fear and ignorance.

TimeCode
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
And Timecode, your a dickhead. Why dont you go post on the Wiggles forums or something - Im sure you will get a few laughs there. Moron.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I'm sorry that you were so offended by that little comment... Have a great day anyway. :)

Fireddog
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I loved your comment Timecode. I know there was no malicious intent!
But others who enjoy conspiracies.. see malice in any comment so they freak out... Sigh.

purple_minion
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm confused, is the horrible Timecode bashing because of the plastic wrap comment? If so is tinfoil hats a reliable method to keep the government away, since that's what this is all implying. If someone said something with merit and he came back with a smart ass answer I could see a little bashing, but when someone can dish out the crap but someone can't come in and send some more... well... where's my gun. While I can't agree with everything anyone says I see no issue with that comment.

nonchalant
03-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Thank you for your honest opinion. I'm sorry that you were so offended by that little comment... Have a great day anyway. :)

No problem your welcome - oh and thanks :)