PDA

View Full Version : computer brand certification

thunderquake
03-10-2009, 02:42 AM
is it wort getting certified through different computer brand companies like dell and hp and so on?

TimeCode
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know but I'd love to have someone chime in who has gotten those certs.

03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I have Apple certs, but we're not an authorized repair shop. They're probably the only certifications that really make a difference, because Mac customers look at them and I think they sort of realize that I'm not "just some guy that also works on Macs".

geekhelp4u
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I am Dell certified. It really comes in handy on machines that are still under warranty. I logon to the tech site and I can request replacement parts. I get no questions asked and the parts arrive next day.

Also, if anything is accidentally broken by me on a machine that is still under warranty, I get get the parts replaced for free as well.

ProTech Support
03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Also, if anything is accidentally broken by me on a machine that is still under warranty, I get get the parts replaced for free as well.

Didn't know that....nice cushion for those rare times.

ProTech Support
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
What did you have to do to get certified? Last time I checked they wanted hundreds of dollars or something.

Before I started my business I was about to start working for one of those warranty contract type companies. They worked exclusively for Dell and wanted every tech Dell certified. The cool thing was that they would actually pay for it as long as you worked there. I asked them how much they cost (because there seems to be a number of diffrent types) and they said they averaged around $2000.00. Mind you this was 2 years ago, but I am sure much hasn't changed.......I never ended up taking the job, but man that would have helped.

Resler
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Before I started my business I was about to start working for one of those warranty contract type companies. They worked exclusively for Dell and wanted every tech Dell certified. The cool thing was that they would actually pay for it as long as you worked there. I asked them how much they cost (because there seems to be a number of diffrent types) and they said they averaged around $2000.00. Mind you this was 2 years ago, but I am sure much hasn't changed.......I never ended up taking the job, but man that would have helped.
Thats one of the reasons why you should never pass up an opportunity for something someone else is willing to pay for. Even if you don't think you'll ever need the skills or knowledge you get out of it, and you very well may never use it, but you will still get a nice certificate or card or whatever that means something to someone. In the case of a Dell certification it means something to Dell and employers that work with Dell. The same would go for any other certification, it means something to at least the company that offers it.

geekhelp4u
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I actually work for a tech firm full time - so yea.. they paid for it. I think it was $1800

Azz
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I contacted DELL and they sent me:

"Due to recent program changes, the DCSE program is only available to Dell Employees and Dell Service Partners. The new Dell Diagnostic Engineer Training (DDET) program is open to any individual interested in online training and testing related to Dell portables, desktops and/or servers. For additional information on this program, please contact our training services team at US_Training@Dell.com or visit www.LearnDell.com. Please note that DDET is an accreditation of knowledge only and does not provide special benefits to individuals. Customers must be part of a larger Dell support program such as ProSupport to perform work on Dell systems without affecting the warranty."