PDA

View Full Version : Regular Computer Maintenance

Resler
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
What do you do for regular maintenance of your OWN computers. I'm talking how often do you clean out the junk files, defrag, run a disk check, run a fill virus/malware scan, blow out all the dust, clean your keyboard, etc. I'm mostly interested in what you do for your own computers but you could also say what you recommend to customers.

Personally I tend to do all of those things once I feel I haven't done them in awhile. If things start to slow down I'll clean it all up. The one thing I do do is record the dates I open the case up and clean everything out, I try to keep on top of that before dust starts to cake onto parts.

Daifne
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Not as often as I should. I'm usually too busy with my customers' computers. ;-)

gunslinger
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Ccleaner every night before I go to bed. About once every two weeks I'll run glary utilities, NTRegopt,disk check, and a full defrag. I'll open the case up about once every 3-4 months and blow out the dust with a small leaf blower.

l337
03-08-2009, 11:13 PM
defrag, clear temp etc just the basics lol

nonchalant
03-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Auto defrag every 2nd day. ccCleaner probably once/mth. AV scan probably once every 3 months.

I also give the PC a good vaccuum out every couple of months or so. I can see when this needs needs doing because I get a slight build up of dust on the outer filters.

arrow_runner
03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
I upgrade to a newer/better laptop about every 3 months. :)

The only maintenance I do is blow the keyboard and heatsink out every once in awhile.

CnP Systems
03-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I second Glary. Use it daily: temp and tracks eraser only, weekly: everything else. CCleaner as well. Spybot, AusLogics Disk Defrag and AVG weekly. Occassionally Malwarebytes. Zone alarm in the background. Have not had any virus or other similar problems since I got this computer.

reesk92
03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
well does anyone find that they maintain there pc to a higher standard than there customers

for instance a customers pc if it got infected would get 2-3 virus scans from different programs where as my own pc would get 6-10 virus scans and also i have no problems working to for a hour or freeying up space from my hard drive where as a customer i would spend a hour max my pc is treated like royaltie compared to a customers

ProTech Support
03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I use CCleaner every time I am done browsing the web & run MBAM every night....doesn't really take much to do both of them and usually finds nothing anyway since I do it so often. Defrag & virus I do about once a week.

I thought most people ran CCleaner every time, surprised at the responses that run it once a month.

reesk92
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
defrag once A WEEK isnt that bad because it will eventually burn the drive out once a month is more than ample unless you have a tb drive

Simmy
03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
CCleaner every system startup and randomly throughout the day (right click recycle bin and "Run CCleaner").

Vista defrag automatically sorts that out for me - infact I've no idea when it runs but it's never fragmented. I run a virus scan once every month or two. Msconfig once a week to disable any crap that's worked its way into there.

Acronis does an incremental backup every night and I run Syncback on my vista profile every few hours to capture the changes to files I've made during the day.

That's about it really. I'll vacuum the PC once every two months or whenever the vacuum cleaner is out for another reason.

Blues
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Not as often as I should. I'm usually too busy with my customers' computers. ;-)

Or finally finding time to relax I had put of some file moves and trransfers until yesterday I ment to do them about 2 months ago.

Simmy
03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
defrag once A WEEK isnt that bad because it will eventually burn the drive out once a month is more than ample unless you have a tb drive

Worrying about defragging burning out a drive is rather pointless. I've heard a few people say the same thing and I've never understood why. The drive could fail at any time and for any reason. Plus drives usually come with 3/5 year warranties these days. I would much rather keep my drive regularly defragged and backed up.

Infact you could argue that the more frequently you defrag it, the less work it has to do each time. Leaving it a month between defrags could cause a large amount of fragmentation, depending on how much it's used.

reesk92
03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
good point but the bul of my comment was why once a week because if its gonna reduce the drives life then the benifits of defragging once a week are non apparent

PatrickB
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Confirm the file system is intact - CheckDisk with only "Fix File System Errors" checked

Reboot and let the Checkdisk run

Exit out of all possible programs to free system resources for further operations

Create System Restore Point prior to making changes

CCleaner with the WinApp2.INI file available on their forum (http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110) so that additional application temp files are cleared out. Also use to clean out invalid Registry entries

Windows Update, Custom option, to assure OS is current -- including the Root Certificates
Reboot to let any updates complete

Review Add/Remove Programs to remove any unnecessary programs and to remove old version of Java prior to installing new version.

Update anti-malware/virus programs and perform full scan. Remove any bad guys found and reboot.

Update applications: Use FileHippo Update Checker (http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/), Secunia's PSI (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/), and KCSoftwares' SUMo (http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo), and CleanSofts' Update Notifier (http://cleansofts.org/view/update-notifier.html)

Page Defrag from http://www.sysinternals.com/ (http://www.sysinternals.com/) to defrag system files

Reboot to complete any application updates and to allow Page Defrag to do its job

Backup clean, updated system to multiple media/locations

Confirm the hard drive is intact - CheckDisk with both "Fix File System Errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked. Hard drives come with spare sectors at the end of the drive. This check will initiate the marking of a bad/failing sector as bad and logically replace it with one of the spares. WARNING - if the drive is on the verge of failing, this can push it over the edge. [ Newer, larger hard drives use vertical instead of horizontal placement of the bits so that more data can be squeezed into the same size platters. These need more attention since they are more prone to failure. ]

Windows Defrag or JKDefrag (http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/) (Scheduled Weekly or Monthly).

-- Patrick B.

purple_minion
03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/myths/hard-drive-wear.aspx

Myth No. 4: You can wear out your hard drive if you defragment too often.

Not true. The truth is, your drive is going to work much harder if you never defrag at all! It is a common misconception that defragmentation is stressful to disk drives. In reality, fragmentation results in many more disk accesses.

Here is an example: If you have a file that is fragmented into 50 pieces, and you access it twice a day for a week, that's a total of 700 disk accesses (50 x 2 x 7). Defragmenting the file may cost 100 disk accesses (50 reads + 50 writes), but thereafter only one disk access will be required to use the file. That's 14 disk accesses over the course of a week (2 x 7), plus 100 for the defragmentation process = 114 total. 700 accesses for the fragmented computer versus 114 for the defragmented computer - the benefits are obvious.

Install Diskeeper and get longer-lasting, more reliable disk drives in addition to peak performance from your computer all the time.

Personally I setup JKDefrag to run as a screensaver, I set it to the highest which is once every 24 hours, only on the C drive. It never has to do too much at all really and it's really quick since it's done so often.

Also see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245047-32-does-defragging-wear

allanc
03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Auto defrag every 2nd day. ccCleaner probably once/mth. AV scan probably once every 3 months.

I also give the PC a good vaccuum out every couple of months or so. I can see when this needs needs doing because I get a slight build up of dust on the outer filters.
Which vacuum cleaner do you use on the road?

gumpoo
05-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Here's a good way to set automated defrags up on your systems..

Open Control Panel, double-click Scheduled Tasks (Under "Performance and Maintenance" in XP)
2. Double-click Add Scheduled Task and click Next.
3. Click Browse, navigate to your C:\Windows\system32 folder, select defrag.exe
4. Use the wizard to set a schedule, and be sure to supply a password for the account to run the command.
5. Check the box for "Open advanced properties dor this task when I click Finish"
6. On the Run line, add the drive letter for the drive to be defragged. For example:
c:\windows\system32\defrag.exe c: -f

The "-f" switch at the end forces defragmenting drives with less than 15% free space.

Notes:
defrag.exe is a command line tool. The dfrg.msc GUI program can't be scheduled to run automatically.
Only one instance of defrag.exe can run at a time. If defragmenting multiple drives, the tasks need to be spaced in time enough for previous ones to finish.
The account to run the command must have a non-empty password set.

Methical
05-03-2009, 03:27 AM
@gumpoo

Since its run via the command line why not just make a batch file utilising the
start /wait
command. And add the batch file to your scheduled tasks.

layoric
05-11-2009, 05:14 PM
CrashPlan FREE for backing up system documents to an external USB drive on another server. Everything else is as needed.

If the backup wasn't automated, it probably wouldn't get done...

Layoric

vetman35
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
From my scheduler on the Bench pc RUN DAILY at night:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Bench\Desktop\am\am.cmd" remove
"C:\Documents and Settings\Bench\Desktop\am\am.cmd" download
**(AM is a script that I wrote to auto-download the newest tools I use on my USB key. PM only if interested.)

C:\Progra~1\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe /AUTO
C:\Progra~1\Malwar~1\mbam.exe /runupdate
C:\Progra~1\Malwar~1\mbam.exe /fullscanterminate
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: /P=2

pusz4frog
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Having a good anti-virus is I believe a great regulating maintenance procedure and Cyberdefender has been just that for me about 9 months now. It's awesome!

seedubya
06-09-2009, 07:16 PM
The software this idiot is referring to has been removed from cnet.com and download.com and is probably malware laden crap.

Blues
06-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Having a good anti-virus is I believe a great regulating maintenance procedure and Cyberdefender has been just that for me about 9 months now. It's awesome!

http://blog.stopbadware.org/2008/11/25/alert-cyberdefender-early-detection-center Yeah I now don't trust this guy so Im gunna hope on the bandwagon... SHES A WITCH BURN HER!!! She turned me into a newt... well I got better.

PatrickB
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
On the one hand, clicking on "pusz4frog" and viewing all posts, does appear to show a series of posts that are trying too hard to fit in.

On the other hand, Blues is partially correct in the link to StopBadware, but StopBadware cancelled that alert against Cyberdefender on 4/17/2009
http://blog.stopbadware.org/2009/04/17/cyberdefender-removed-from-active-alerts-list

Then again, their MyWOT rating is in the red zone:
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cyberdefender.com

Perhaps I was too quick too judge. Pusz4frog, what is it you like about Cyberdefender? How would you compare it with other anti-spyware and anti-malware products?

-- Patrick B.

Xander
06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I hadn't realized MBAM had finally included an update command! WOOHOO!!

TechPro
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Some good tips on regular computer maintenance here and views on defragging from Carey. Great podcast!

http://tech-vets.com/2009/03/05/tv-2009-03-03-002/

krutoi
06-13-2009, 03:25 AM
My Avast, ZA, & Spybot trinity seems to keep most problems at bay, and once or twice a year I will wipe everything and do a fresh install. If I am lucky there will be a nice acronis image saved from the last time around with all my standard stuff on it and the latest SP :-)

gadz00ks1
06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I run ccleaner at least every other day.
Defrag is scheduled weekly.
Malwarebtyes updates and runs nightly.
Sophos virus scan weekly.

dustin
06-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Operating system
-----------
Install any Windows Updates, then immediately reboot
Remove any programs I no longer need/use
CCleaner
Defraggler
Reboot
msconfig

After everything I make sure there aren't any power settings I would like to change.

Hardware
-----------
Calibrate the battery
Reseat RAM, battery, hard drive.
Filesystem check on the hard drive
Clean out fans

innovativecrs
06-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I reboot my computer about once a month and my servers about every three months. I close Firefox about once a week and delete my cache.

I don't use Windows so I really don't worry about viruses. My file system is journaled so I don't worry about defragging.

Sn@Ke
07-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Run ccleaner once a week & have AVG running in the background.
I'll take the side off and dust it once a month or so

I never have any real probs since I don't let others use my machine. :)

sieow13
07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I install Cleanmem (which autocleans my RAM every 30mins) and leave it be.

I install SmartDefrag 1.11 (autodefrag my hdd when idle) and leave it be.

I install CCleaner (with the /AUTO switch scheduled to run everyday 10.30pm) and leave it be.

:)

iisjman07
07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
I run CCleaner probably every couple of days. Never defragged my hard drive, although Windows has only been installed for maybe a month (had to format). I have AVG but disabled the daily scan as I have too many files and it just slows down the pc, but I made a custom scheduled scan to scan the 'system32' directory. I'm on a laptop so I don't really dust as much as I should, but I do sometimes...

jbutler9
07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Here is what I do:

Windows Update - daily 12:00 AM
Disk Cleanup - Daily 12:30 AM
CCleaner - Daily 12:45 AM
Spybot S&D(updates/full scan) - Wednesday 1:00 AM
Windows Defender(full scan) - Friday - 1:00 AM
Anti-virus(updates/full scan) - Saturday 1:00 AM
jkdefrag -a 7 Sunday 1:00 AM (stop after 8 hours)
jkdefrag -a 3 Mon - Sat 3:00 AM (stop after 4 hours)

My laptop (HP G60 230US) stays fast, almost instant program execution. Couple this with the pc security service that I also offer my clients....I can honestly say that I haven't had any issues with my pc performance nor have I even seen a virus or any malicious software on my home machines for the past couple of years.

Winston_Smith
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
My "normal" routine.
Every Day
Updates (SpyBot, MBAM,Kaspersky, Windows)
MBAM quick scan
Kaspersky scan (auto runs at 6am)
SpyBot scan (auto runs at 4am)

Weekly
Defrag
Boy do I wish that this computer I'm working on got defraged once and a while. 91% fragmented, I'm just thankful that it was a small HDD.

Dante318
07-16-2009, 04:34 AM
I had always heard it was not good to defrag a system all the time..any truth to that?

Sn@Ke
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I had always heard it was not good to defrag a system all the time..any truth to that?

Not really... I suppose the person who said that was trying to get maximum life out of the drive by letting it do as little work as possible. Kinda like back in the day how HDD's didn't park their heads, so if you were running 24/7 the drive wouldn't last as long.

Anyway, IMO I think you guys are a bit excessive with the maintenance on you machines, if you really have to do all those tasks every single day, I would question what you're using your PC to do :confused: (fair enough if its a test machine or repair machine) but man, I bet half the time it doesn't find anything.

MikeLierman
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I do testing for Symantec for Norton AntiVirus and Internet Security. So I end up restoring to a completely clean image every month or so. It's really nice, haven't needed to defrag or do any maintenance for 5 months now since we started on Internet Security 2010.

Before we started on NIS and NAV, I used JkDefrag about once every two or three months and I used to have a registry cleaner that would automatically cleanup every second Saturday, but since the reformat to a clean 7 image I haven't reinstalled it, lol.

lawson_jl
08-02-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't really do regular maintenance on my PC because I do the following. I wrote this list up so I didn't have to write it out everytime. Except I only use MSE since I don't get infected.

1. Use an Uninterruptable Power Supply. A Surge Suppressor canít protect against brown outs.
2. Use a router even if you only have 1 PC. A router is a perfect firewall.
3. Use a quality Anti Virus such as Microsoft Security Essentials, NOD32 or Kaspersky. All 3 programs scan for both virus and spyware.
4. Have a secondary Malware scanner such as Malwarebytes or SUPERAntispyware just in case.
5. Make sure Auto Update in Windows is turned on.
6. Check for driver updates monthly both through Windows Update and your equipment manufactures website.
7. Run a monthly Disk Clean Up, Defrag and Scandisk. The Windows tools are fine but there are others. In Vista and Windows 7 some task are ran automatically.
8. When installing programs always do a custom (advanced) install. This way you can unselect any toolbars, search engines, updaters or other ďextraĒ software free programs almost always come with.
9. Never download an attachment from an e-mail unless you have requested THAT person send you THAT e-mail. This is still the number 1 way people get malware. It doesnít matter if itís your mom, your sister, your girl friend never open it unless you requested it.
10. Never click links in an e-mail unless you have requested THAT person send you THAT e-mail. Copy the link and paste it into the address bar of your browser.
11. Donít browse shady, doggy, illegal websites and never ever download anything from them no matter what the site says. You donít need to see the Olsen Twins naked bad enough to install something on your system.
12. When using a messenger program such as Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MySpace Messenger etc do not click links, download files or even except conversations from people you donít know. Just like e-mail and bad websites messengers are a large source of malware.
13. Donít know use P2P, bit torrent, or wares sites including sites like Mega Upload and Rapid Share. Itís simply not safe and legit software makers do not use them. Exception many Linux distributions can be downloaded via bit torrent. If doing this be sure to get the file off those distributions trackers not places like PirateBay, Mininova or BT Junky.

kdyer
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Couple of things..

microsoft.com/athome/setup/maintenance.aspx (< than 15 posts.. sorry)

This page says to:
Ideally, you should run these tools on the following schedule.

Clean up the hard disk of temporary files
Weekly

Rearrange (defragment) the hard disk
Monthly

Check the hard disk for errors
Weekly

Clean up the hard disk of temporary files
Disk Cleanup > %SystemRoot%\System32\cleanmgr.exe

Rearrange (defragment) the hard disk
The guide says to use: %SystemRoot%\System32\Defrag.exe

Personally, I would use JkDefrag..

Check the hard disk for errors
The guide says to use: %SystemRoot%\System32\ChkDsk.exe

> The only "gotcha" I can see with this, if there is an error, then you could put this into a batch script that would send you a POSTIE or BLAT Message.

As this article suggests, it says to use Windows Task Scheduler..

For each of the tasks, you can use the following account:

"NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" (minus the quotes)..

You don't need to put in the password and it uses the system acct to execute the scheduled tasks. The other benefit of this is that the account does not expire passwords.

Then you can copy the respective .job files to other systems.

Another thing that is cool that some people may not know about if they are dealing with a file that already exists in a file copy..

Be careful here and test thoroughly..

ECHO Y|Copy C:\Orig_Folder\*.* C:\Dest_Folder

Thanks,

Kent

thor999
10-14-2009, 07:43 AM
+1 Lawsonjl, I never ever have any software issues, ever. I may have broken that last rule a few times though :cool:

Cambridge PC Support
12-31-2009, 07:48 PM
DiskMax from KoshyJohn is pretty good for removing a whole load of files that CCleaner doesn't

takes a while to run the first time though, but subsequent runs are a lot quicker

nelsonm
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Here's my setup and maintenance process.

Setup:
1. Create a good sliptream install disc with up-to-date service pack, driver, chipset, update packs and addons.
2. Install system and apply any last minute MS updates.
3. Acronis True Image (create saved backup of new virgin system install - no apps)
4. Load all your apps and check for updates.
5. Acronis True Image (create saved backup of system with all apps loaded)

Maintenance:
Automatic (always running in background 24/7)
1. Avast
2. Spybot w/ realtime protection
3. Windows Defender

Automatic (Once a day)
1. Acronis True Image (backup my email, bookmarks, preferences and other critical program settings and data that could be mistakenly overwritten during a system restore)

Automatic (Once a week)
1. Acronis True Image (weekly system drive backups)

Manual (once every 6 months)
1. Run hardware diagnostics. I use Dell's latest bootable diagnostic disc, but use whatever you like.
2. Boot to install disk and run chkdsk ?: /r on all drives to check for drive problems and possibly fix errors.
3. Make sure all installed spyware/virus removal apps are updated.
4. Run Avast boot time scan.
5. In safe mode run; spybot on all hives, combofix, smithfraud, malwarebytes, ccleaner.
6. In normal mode, run malwarebytes on all user accounts.

Note:
No matter what happens, having a virgin, loaded and weekly system drive backup can be, not only, a life saver but save you a lot time by not having to rebuild your system from scratch when something goes wrong, you don't have the time to disinfect, and you want to insure you have a clean functioning system.

I also restore to my clean loaded backup when i want to update in a major way and i want to insure that i'm working with a clean system. I then backup the updated loaded system.

usacvlr
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I defrag probably once a month. Uninstall any unused crap at least as often. Never bother to blow them out though. By the time dust kills it it'll be time to build a new one anyway.

What do you do for regular maintenance of your OWN computers. I'm talking how often do you clean out the junk files, defrag, run a disk check, run a fill virus/malware scan, blow out all the dust, clean your keyboard, etc. I'm mostly interested in what you do for your own computers but you could also say what you recommend to customers.

Personally I tend to do all of those things once I feel I haven't done them in awhile. If things start to slow down I'll clean it all up. The one thing I do do is record the dates I open the case up and clean everything out, I try to keep on top of that before dust starts to cake onto parts.

iisjman07
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
By the time dust kills it it'll be time to build a new one anyway.

Yup, in this fast paced technological world