PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection

Valleytech
03-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I am trying to get an internet connection on a computer I just installed an ethernet card on. I am running cable on another computer that connects fine, but when I hook up the second computer I get no connection even though the driver is instatlled. What should I check next, etc?

Appreciate suggestions.

Mark, in Oregon

seedubya
03-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Are you getting an IP address from the router/modem?

Valleytech
03-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Are you getting an IP address from the router/modem?

great question. I didn't check before I re-connected to the good machine.
If yes, what.....if no, what?

Methical
03-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Can you give us more details please.

I did this for my mum bout 2 years ago. Just had a simple Motorola Router that was provided by the IP, and just installed a switch to connect the two computers via ethernet. Both machines must have different IP's, and make sure that you can talk to one another.

Run up a command prompt, and check if you can ping each other, by IP and computer name. Making sure that both IP's are different of course

Methical
03-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Sorry bout that reply, I wrote it ages ago and forget to hit reply.. my bad.

Valleytech
03-06-2009, 02:21 AM
No problem, thanks for the help. I will get back at that later and give a follow-up.....have a good one!!!
Mark, in Oregon

Sorry bout that reply, I wrote it ages ago and forget to hit reply.. my bad.

ifelloutofatree
03-06-2009, 02:46 AM
is the computer new or second hand - are you installing a nic because its never been on the net before? if its second hand someone may already have set their own specific parameters and had disabled the LAN if it was not previously connected to the internet - check the lan connection is enabled and that dhcp is automatic - I know they are simple things to check but you never know...