PDA

View Full Version : Drop box

brianb_01
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Drop box is a very nice tool for anyone, it is a free online storage site. You get 2gigs of free space, and can upgrade to a paid account for more. For anyone who has ever left without their flash drive, this can save you. This will put a folder in your "My Documents" folder and sync. it when ever your computer is online.

I hope you like it :D

TimeCode
02-27-2009, 06:42 PM
*** Complete Rewrite***
Is this Spam or are you trying to be helpful?

CW, thanks. I guess I should cool my jets... It's been one of those days. :(

seedubya
02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
possibly is spam although dropbox has received rave reviews on many sites including lifehacker - maybe just a new member trying to be uber-helpful. That has to happen now and again.............doesn't it??;)

Methical
03-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Well, I thought the most obvious choices for online storage; would be a GMail account. And since most of us use FireFox; download the GMail plugin that allows you to use your email account for online storage (over 7gb last time I checked). I've uploaded my ToolKit to mine, just incase I forget my USB.

03-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Well, I thought the most obvious choices for online storage; would be a GMail account.

Gmail's not a good choice when you need to share the data, which is more the purpose of things like dropbox.

Methical
03-01-2009, 05:01 AM
True; but for personal use it would be more ideal.

dhrandy
03-01-2009, 05:21 AM
I use Dropbox to synchronize files between my desktop and laptop and it works great.

RyanMeray
03-02-2009, 05:49 AM
I use it for syncing between 3 systems and recommend it as a baseline backup for most of my clients. Few truly take advantage of it as anything more than an offsite backup, but I have at least one client who's used it to share files and access them from other systems to do presentations and stuff.

It's an awesome service. I hope they can manage to stay afloat.

Hankisanerd
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I use all the time. I sync between 5 machines and you can get at it from the web.

PatrickB
03-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Why would anyone think that a suggestion for Drop Box is spam or "uber helpful"? I realize I am also a new poster, but as a long-time tech, I think it is as reasonable as any other Repair Tool Suggestion that I have seen. Having online storage that is available to me anywhere is definitely a plus.

In fact, there are several others.

Microsoft has Skydrive dot Live dot Com
www dot idrive dot com
onlinestoragesolution dot com
www dot adrive dot com
jungledisk dot com using Amazon's S3 Storage

-- Patrick B.

dhrandy
03-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Probably because it was a first post and we haven't seen any more activity.

PatrickB
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank you DH.

In the meantime, I ran across two BetaNews articles about "cloud" storage. Some big ones are going away (AOL's Xdrive, Hewlett-Packard's Upline and Yahoo's Briefcase) and Google's GDrive is coming in.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Two-more-cloud-storage-services-close-Yahoos-Briefcase-HPs-Upline/1236097442

http://www.betanews.com/article/Googles-rumored-GDrive-personal-cloud-service-gets-real-description/1233330174

-- Patrick B.