PDA

View Full Version : Seems like good deal

MHCG
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I've never really looked into these things. This seems like a good deal, no?

http://sellout.woot.com/

Asus Eee PC 2G Surf 800MHz Netbook
$159.99

* + $5 shipping

Condition:
Refurbished
Product:
1 Asus Eee PC 2G Surf 800MHz 512mb 2GB SSD 7" LCD Linux Open Office
Color:
Black, Blue, Green, Pink, White

* 7” LCD TFT and weighing only 2lb (0.92kg), you can take the Eee PC anywhere
* Dependable 2GB solid-state disk, gives you unparalleled shock-protection and reliability
* Intel Celeron M 800MHz Processor
* 512MB DDR2 installed memory
* Power-efficient design provides longer operating time when on the go
* With a rapid start-up time, the Eee PC is always ready to when you want it
* No technical manual required with the specially designed, user-friendly and intuitive graphic interface
* Linux operating system with easy to use interface
* Always connected with built-in WiFi 802.11 b/g that automatically detects and connects to the Internet at any hotspot
* High definition audio with stereo speaker and microphone
* 4 cell battery gives about 2.8 hours of power
* SDHC memory card slot allows you to import photos from a digital camera on the spot
* Preloaded with OpenOffice and 40 other applications to get you on the internet, or do work
* 3 USB 2.0 ports
* 1 VGA (D-Sub, 15 Pin) video out port
* 1 Headphone jack
* 1 Microphone jack
* Power Output: 9.5V, 22W; Input: 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz universal
* Dimensions: 8.86” x 6.30” x 0.79” ~ 1.26”

NYJimbo
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
It's junk. Too small storage, too little ram, weak cpu. Limited life battery.

abe
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
its junk,

you may still be able to pick up the 8.9 inch 4gb 1gb ram version for $199 at best buy, but even that is flaky, I have one of them and only after some serious tweaking is it useable.

Abe

thecoldone06
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't be bad for someone whos going to look at pictures, check email, and surf the web. But I agree, anything more than that and it wouldn't be very usable.

Y.F.N.C.G.
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Might be a good computer to bring on-site with you to verfiy things like internet connectivity, test USB peripherals, or download drivers. You don't need anything sleek or powerful to do those things.

MHCG
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Might be a good computer to bring on-site with you to verfiy things like internet connectivity, test USB peripherals, or download drivers. You don't need anything sleek or powerful to do those things.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I really don't like bringing my expensive Dell laptop out on service calls, but if there's something better that can be had for just a little bit more I'd rather do that.

MHCG
02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
its junk,

you may still be able to pick up the 8.9 inch 4gb 1gb ram version for $199 at best buy, but even that is flaky, I have one of them and only after some serious tweaking is it useable.

Abe

I've got to go by the Best Buy tonight anyways, so I'll take a look at that.

NYJimbo
02-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Perhaps, but then you are going to need another laptop to do the higher level things. Trust me, these low-end netbooks are very disappointing.

You can get a nice netbook with a gig of ram, 160 gig drive, faster cpu, Windows XP, 4-8 hour battery, etc.. for about $399, BRAND NEW and WITH WARRANTEE. Sure it's a bit more, but these machines will run everything.

MLCS
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
If it made it to sellout.woot.com then it's usually junk. Anything worth 2 cents on woot.com sells out in a few hours. If it's not sold by the end of the day it goes to sellout.woot and then gets rotated into a woot off.

I check woot.com every day, they used to have some great deals but I haven't seen anything worth considering lately. But my reasoning is the same as always, if it makes it to sellout it's not worth it.

Jory
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
That's not a very good deal. I'm constantly seeing Atom variants for $200-250 with bigger SSD's, memory, etc.

Navalynt
02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
When you buy a netbook there are two choices right now for the OS: Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu Linux (or some variant). Something to keep in mind is that Microsoft DOES NOT want XP back on mainstream desktop/laptops and is only licensing XP for netbooks temporarily until the release of Windows 7 which has a stripped down "starter edition" that will be used for netbooks.

Part of the licensing agreement for XP right now is that that screen size cannot be larger than 10", memory cannot exceed 1GB, and hard drive size is not supposed to exceed 80GB (although I've already seen plenty with 120GB and 160GB drives). The upcoming Dell Mini 10 is rumored to have the 1GB of RAM "built in" so it's not user upgradable beyond Microsoft's maximum specs.

Because of the popularity of the Dell Mini 9 system if you watch the website slickdeals.net you will find that once every two weeks or so Dell will drop a 15-20% discount code to use on their outlet site for refurbished, open box, and scratch/dent models bringing the price down well below $200. Also, if you want to buy one new, they have the option of configuring with Ubuntu Linux instead of XP so you can order one brand new with a 64GB SSD and a memory upgrade for around or under $400 so you have room to multi-boot several operating systems while on the go.

NYJimbo
02-28-2009, 01:21 AM
You can get full size laptops from DELL with XP "downgrades" right now. I just ordered one for a friend. Go to DELL.com and look at the vostro line for instance, you can get a 1710 with 3 gb of ram, 320gb drive, etc and it will install XP pro.