PDA

View Full Version : Folder Size

TechniTuners
02-24-2009, 06:19 PM
This is more of a request for possible script or a known program that can do what I am about to explain.

What I am looking for is something that can display the amount of data in a folder. Possibly making the column in explorer read the size of the folder since that will only give you the size of the file. Now I know you can just hover over the folder most of the time and it will give you the folder size, but I would rather make it easier to see on the fly. Now the reason for this would be when you are looking for a particular folder that may be taking up a lot of space on the hard drive, but it wont be the typical folder that you would look into (e.g temp folders, cookies ) Basically any folder not covered in the Disc Cleanup Utility. If this is not a reasonable request, what are the folders most notorious for filling up with data that can be eliminated. Don't need to include folders that will be known for holding music, pictures or the Disc Cleanup folders.

purple_minion
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
This is more of a request for possible script or a known program that can do what I am about to explain.

What I am looking for is something that can display the amount of data in a folder. Possibly making the column in explorer read the size of the folder since that will only give you the size of the file. Now I know you can just hover over the folder most of the time and it will give you the folder size, but I would rather make it easier to see on the fly. Now the reason for this would be when you are looking for a particular folder that may be taking up a lot of space on the hard drive, but it wont be the typical folder that you would look into (e.g temp folders, cookies ) Basically any folder not covered in the Disc Cleanup Utility. If this is not a reasonable request, what are the folders most notorious for filling up with data that can be eliminated. Don't need to include folders that will be known for holding music, pictures or the Disc Cleanup folders.

WinDirStat, even shows a graphic of the size of files.

TechniTuners
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
^ thank you sir.. This is exacly what i needed.

Blues
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Not used that app but I have used TreeSize Free it I know works from a thumb drive.

jaydude23
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I second using TreeSize. Works great!

MHCG
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
jdiskreport is also a very good piece of software.
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Resler
02-25-2009, 12:10 AM
WinDirStat, even shows a graphic of the size of files.

WinDirStat is a good program, theres a portable version.
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/windirstat_portable

I like the program because of its graphical display, seeing how much space a file takes up in relation to the other files on the computer really helps visualize how hard drive space gets used up and what files are wasting space.

purple_minion
02-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Yes, forgot to mention a portable version. Also it tends to group the files together by folder, so you can see the section the folder is plus the big/small files inside. Linux has one where it is kind of like a pie chart, only it's rings and the further out you go the deeper into the directories you go.

seedubya
02-25-2009, 01:00 AM
http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

teejay
02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
FOLDERSIZE This thing slowed down performance of my system while using Explorer