PDA

View Full Version : Docking Software

Azz
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all,

My test PC has loads of icons on the desktop for the various tasks it does, what I am looking for is someway of organising them.

I have just installed RocketDock which looks very good, but it doesn't organise things very well i.e a section for office, data recovery etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would organise or seperate the different programs?

Thanks,

Aaron

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Yep, how about stacks for Rocket dock.

http://i43.tinypic.com/21j3fdj.jpg

Just create a new stack for each set of apps.

Azz
02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Thats what I am using, but itlooks nothing like that one....

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Thats what I am using, but itlooks nothing like that one....

Is this not what you need?

purple_minion
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Is it more effective to wade through all that instead of the start menu?

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
It is for me. ( used to using a dock in OS X anyway ) and it makes for a much cleaner looking desktop. The shortcuts I use most often are right there for me. Its all about what you like really. If you wanna run every program from the 'run' command I guess that would be fine too. Plus, for me I know exactly where everything is so I can actually get to my programs faster with this setup than going to the start menu, then scrolling down through all the programs until I find the right folder then over then click.

Azz
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
That is what I need, but the stacks I got looks nothing like that one?

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Could you post a screenshot so I can see what you have?

abe
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
It is for me. ( used to using a dock in OS X anyway ) and it makes for a much cleaner looking desktop. The shortcuts I use most often are right there for me. Its all about what you like really. If you wanna run every program from the 'run' command I guess that would be fine too. Plus, for me I know exactly where everything is so I can actually get to my programs faster with this setup than going to the start menu, then scrolling down through all the programs until I find the right folder then over then click.

you can open the start menu and type the first letter and and it brings the program up for you no need to wade

if you know where you programs are you can find them in the start menu in a jiffy.

Abe

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
you can open the start menu and type the first letter and and it brings the program up for you no need to wade

if you know where you programs are you can find them in the start menu in a jiffy.

Abe

Oh, you mean like in OS X? :D

abe
02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
no like in VISTA :).

gunslinger
02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
no like in VISTA :).

Wonder where they got that idea? :rolleyes:

Oh , I know we will put that spotlight thing those Apple guys have in the lower left instead of the upper right and call it "the new search".

Really, if you still wanna argue Mac vs. PC lets start a dedicated thread for it.

abe
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Really, if you still wanna argue Mac vs. PC lets start a dedicated thread for it.

who's arguing just having fun :), Its only an OS not a GF/wife/mother/religion or whatever
don't take it to heart,

sorry for any offense none meant.
Abe

Flyingbull
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Translating:
Get addin StackDocket
Add it on tool bar (as an icon)
Change it from fan to grid (Icon settings).
Connect it to a folder (Icon Settings).
Will look like GunSlingers.

I have to say it is nifty, I like using differn't quick launch folders, organized on the left, but for common applications, kind of nice to have organized at the bottom like that.

Methical
02-24-2009, 04:59 AM
If you want it organized into catagories, why not use a tabbed dock like ObjectDock; Stacks still works on it. (Any RocketDock Docklet does). It isn't as resource-friendly as RocketDock does, but I'm not complaining ('cept FireFox wants to crash when loaded from dock)

Azz
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
If you want it organized into catagories, why not use a tabbed dock like ObjectDock; Stacks still works on it. (Any RocketDock Docklet does). It isn't as resource-friendly as RocketDock does, but I'm not complaining ('cept FireFox wants to crash when loaded from dock)

I tried ObjectDock, it seemed slower to me, RocketDock loads straight away.

Changed it to grid, thanks all :)

Methical
02-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Lol ill agree, it is alot slower than RocketDock. All StarDock products are heavy on resources. I just like the 'reserve edge of screen' feature, so that I can always see my dock. I'll post a screenshot if you want.

ebm
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Since some of you appear to be behind the times, I'll provide a suggestion..or perhaps a solution.

Fences by Stardock. Do a Google search since the rules won't allow me to post a direct URL.

And yes, it's free.

Flyingbull
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Since some of you appear to be behind the times, I'll provide a suggestion..or perhaps a solution.

Fences by Stardock. Do a Google search since the rules won't allow me to post a direct URL.

And yes, it's free.

Well if I wanted to organize my desktop that way, I could just use web objects/Active Desktop objects to do the same thing. It doesn't allow you to minimize your active programs to the bar, nor can you auto hide it like a task bar (except by clicking in the blank area of the desktop, which frankly would piss me off if I was doing it just make my desktop active). RocketDock is more aesthetically pleasing in comparison as well. RocketDock is just as free, and has loads of add ons, amazingly for free too.