PDA

View Full Version : price for new build

HI-TEKKSOLUTIONS
02-23-2009, 03:59 AM
I was just wondering what i should charge to build a new system for clients. I am finding it hard to decide because know a days you can buy a computer from dell and other company's for less than 300.00 and when i go online to get my parts, by the time i have all the parts added up, they could go to dell and get something better than what i have for the same price and thats not including my fee to build it. so i was just wondering if anyone can tell me how they charge for this. thanks.

02-23-2009, 07:12 AM
I charge a labor fee of $110 to build a system, then a small percentage mark-up on parts.
I rarely build systems for people, in fact I turn most people away that ask if I'll build them a computer. The last system I built was for a guy that needed a specific set-up for CAD software. I took time to read up on the software he'd use, sent a few different lists of hardware configs, and made sure he knew exactly what he was getting. He wanted best quality for his money.....most home users are looking for fastest/biggest for their money and it's not worth it to sell to them.

l337
02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
id say charge 1-2 hours labour with parts at RRP or just below to make sure u make a little profit.

usacvlr
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
For 300 dollars in parts not including a monitor, kb mosue or os you can build a better system than what dell is offering. Just use tigerdirect. I can get better prices from them than I can through my distributor a lot of the time!

I was just wondering what i should charge to build a new system for clients. I am finding it hard to decide because know a days you can buy a computer from dell and other company's for less than 300.00 and when i go online to get my parts, by the time i have all the parts added up, they could go to dell and get something better than what i have for the same price and thats not including my fee to build it. so i was just wondering if anyone can tell me how they charge for this. thanks.

dhrandy
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Newegg.com is also a great site. I just wouldn't rely on system builds for a source of income. For a budget build, it's going to be hard to beat a manufacture. For a gaming build you can usually save more. I would just have "building computers" as an extra service and have a flat fee or just charge a couple hours (if you charge hourly wages.) Your not going to make a ton of money on system builds.

HI-TEKKSOLUTIONS
02-25-2009, 02:58 AM
yea, i think 2 hours is good to charge. I think i will go with that. thanks for the input.

Jager
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
The company I work for does computer builds also. The biggest things that we harp on are that we do any of the simple warranty work (bad hdd, etc) in office. Not only that, but we get parts with over a year warranty to ensure quality, etc.

If you do system builds or order laptops for customers, you have to go that extra mile and figure out why it is beneficial to buy locally.

enuro12
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Dont compete with dell...

If your customers want a CHEAP computer then sell them a dell, and charge the service time to setup and configure it. In the end they will be happy, and you'll make about the same profit. Add to that you dont have to price out a system, and hope the parts you get are reliable and stable.

I setup lots of dell / hp / eMachine. But i also sold 36 custom pc's and 10 servers last year.

Like a few others said, value add is how u sell your builds. My customers know that my warranty is good, and rather than calling an Indian to get help, they can pickup the phone and call me. For the customers who don't care my system is $200 premium over a cheap dell, they are extremely happy. All my machines are bought in sets of 5. I'm already on my 4th main board configuration. As fast as the industry changes equipment its hard to keep the machines standardized. I highly recommend trying to do so. Paying a few $$ more to get a board you know is stable can save you tons of $$ when you keep getting called for a strange unknown cause of BSOD or random restarts.

nonchalant
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
rather than calling an Indian to get help, they can pickup the phone and call me.

This is one of the main reasons Im about to steal a sale from Dell for a new $2500 high-end system.

At the end of the day I will make about $200 profit from the build. The labour involves building the new system & setting up on-site. Not big bucks but hey how hard is it to put together a system from new parts & setup the customers internet on-site?

Regardless of the end cost of a new build, I always make roughly $150-$200 from the sale by factoring in labour, and partly because I can source new parts very cheaply.

To me a new build is no different to getting a call from a customer asking if I can come out & format their PC, so from that point IMO is worthwhile. PLUS theres the follow up work you get down the track because they have got themselves a virus or decided later they want extra RAM, a larger HDD, etc.