PDA

View Full Version : Newbie tech

ifelloutofatree
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Because I'm new to it all and haven't quite "started my own business yet" - still in the process...... I don't have lots of legal fancy software to find viruses and clean up registry to get client machines running and performing better. I have plenty of software that was er ... given to me in college, but not sure about using it on client machines even though the software is great.

Did you all start out just laying out the cash up front and buying top notch software helpers like AdAware Pro or Tune Up Utilities or do you prefer to run Autoruns, process explorer and hijack this type programs. I like malwarebytes but am pretty unsure as to some staple basics I should own starting up.
hummingbird

purple_minion
02-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forums. Before asking too many questions you really should read all the old threads, especially in the business section. Personally I've gone through them twice, lots of good info in there.

As for software, there is A LOT of free stuff that will be just as good as the paid crap. Avira is a very good AV program, good detection rate, but the free version you can't install on business clients computers. You can install it on home users and you yourself can use it (perhaps a grey area if you use it for YOUR business to scan others computers... but that's your call. If your business clients get busted then it's YOUR butt on the line). There is ad aware free, no need for pro IMHO. Also Malware bytes is very highly recommended, also free, good for the nasties. Spyware terminator is good, lately I like it better then spybot, but spybot is decent. I'd recommend you download the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows and burn a copy. You can go to configure and update all the AV and antispyware apps to the latest databases before burning so you download less. I have over 10gb of free software on my usb drive, and there really isn't much you need to pay for.

Most people on here do as you mention and run the separate programs. What you can't get away from is buying the hardware and getting the experience. There are many threads and a lot of articles on technibble you need to read, but you should have some basic replacement parts like memory, power supply, spare dvd reader/burner, maybe a hard drive for when they are dead onsite. Also some tools like screwdrivers, antistatic wrist strap, power supply testers, external hard drive for backups, a conversion cable such as SATA to usb or a 2.5in hard drive adapter, helps for scans and backups. Don't forget your professional image like shirts with logo, shoes, business cards, probably a decent looking bag or backpack to put your stuff in when you trek into their place. Some magnetic signs for your vehicle perhaps?

Also a lot of people swear by Acronis for backups, it is nice, but you can do free as well if you so choose. Also (I like that word some reason) windows, and office install disks for when the customer doesn't have them but has a COA on the computer... most people aren't happy to go spend $200 when they already bought it. You can sign up for some microsoft partner thingy, I forgot the name... or go to "other" places and get them. So long as they have a COA sticker you should be ok.

Anything I'm missing guys?

ifelloutofatree
02-23-2009, 06:04 AM
thanks for the great info and business ideas - much appreciated I'll get busy and read the previous threads ....