PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Computers not sure where to post this

Pc Fixed Right
02-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I got a call from someone today asking if I had computers to recycle and they would come pick them up at no charge. The business side of me immediately kicks in and thinks well what the heck is he going to do with these old machines and how is he going to get paid by recycling the computers.

Anyone have a clue as to how recycling computers is making money for this guy? Is he melting the boards down for gold?

arrow_runner
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, there are people that will scrap them for the materials in them. There are a couple around Cincinnati, although I've not dealt with them.

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I think they would be more valuable whole. You could use them for parts, sell them as a used computer, fix'em up and give to charity or church's or whatnot as a tax write off and publicity. Unless they are 286's then maybe it's not worth it.

usacvlr
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
There's some outfits that buy them in bulk and then rebuild them as cheap computers for places like India etc. Other outfits just ship them off to china where they get reduced down to gold, copper,steel etc

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
There's some outfits that buy them in bulk and then rebuild them as cheap computers for places like India etc. Other outfits just ship them off to china where they get reduced down to gold, copper,steel etc

You don't want to ship them to china. Those recyclers are ruining the chinese environment. Seriously look it up. Burning them creating toxic fumes and water issues.

TimeCode
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
You don't want to ship them to china. Those recyclers are ruining the chinese environment. Seriously look it up. Burning them creating toxic fumes and water issues.

National Geographic's article on sending these things to Africa... It is a "Must Read"! http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/01/high-tech-trash/carroll-text

Pc Fixed Right
02-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Interesting Article TimeCode "HOLY CRAP"

I think I am going to start calling local metal/plastics recyclers up and see what they say. Somene has to be buying scrap metal/plastic locally.

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
National Geographic's article on sending these things to Africa... It is a "Must Read"! http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/01/high-tech-trash/carroll-text

Exactly! Sad but true. This is where profit gets you. Also another of the evils of outsourcing. Why do it here right, when we can do it over there cheap. And they have to look out for those investors, screw everything else!