PDA

View Full Version : Oh Shiznit!!!

MLCS
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, I need to ask all of your help in a real serious way here for the next little while. I now have had my business license and a legit computer repair business for a whole 2 weeks... and now I'm faced with a huge change in my life that I have to make some decisions.

Like most of you I started this business as a side gig to get me back into the IT industry and make a little extra money. Problem is, yesterday I was laid off from my job. I've been working at a building supply location for 7 years, working my way up the ladder as fast as I could, and did very well. After 3.5 years I was into an outside sales position (generally takes 10 years plus to work into). Unfortunately it's all down the drain now. All my hard work for this company, all my time, blood, sweat and tears... and a lot of my own money too I invested into my job is gone.

So now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I REALLY want to see if I can make this computer repair business bloom.... but am I being stupid to think I can make it work? I mean, it will take a LOT of business to keep my income large enough to support my family, and my wife will be helping me out with this, but I want to be realistic.

I've pretty much figured I'd give it a shot, since I have a lot of contacts out there and hoping the networking of people will work for me. I'm just afraid, because I still don't feel completely up to date yet, and don't want to choke to death...

I'm a bit of a wreck due to the layoff still... it's a hard thing for me to swallow right now, but I'm really hoping you guys can help me out with a lot of questions I know I'll have and a lot of patience for the many areas I'm lacking knowledge in. So far you guys have been great and I've been learning a LOT. But I have a lot to learn still, and hoping I can lean on you guys for some support... for me and my family.

That being said, is there any experienced techs that wouldn't mind sending me their e-mail/instant messenger ID or even possibly phone number (for US techs at least) in case I need someone to contact in some situations where I find myself needing help quickly and am lost? I'm hurting in a big way now, and I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm pretty scared.

I'm starting refresher courses from my college next month, but it'll take time before I get caught up with everything, and I don't have time to take a few months worth of classes before diving into this like I was hoping.

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear that. From everything I've gathered here reading it really takes several YEARS before you can make a living so to speak. You need time to build up clients and get a feel for issues/problems you will face. Most people recommend doing this on the side with a normal day job to help with the bills. Though I have heard more then once that when you are already laid off without work is when a lot of people jump in and start a business. That is when they are more scared of change and losing that stable income. Since you already started you are past that point. I guess I'd give it a go, but also be looking for a job. Read these forums, I've read them twice now, and jot down ideas on advertising and rules of thumb dealing with clients, etc. Get your software in order, get your dvd's/cd's together, tools, etc. Perhaps you can make it on your wife's income. My gf and I stretched her income suprisingly far. Can't afford the stuff you want, but you can get by, and we never thought we could! Then any income you make sink it back into advertising or whatnot. Hopefully some of the established techs can chime in as I haven't even gotten as far as you yet! :P

Oh yeah, it's not the end of the world, it's a job. It's what I always tell others, why go to school, get a job, build a career, work your ass off all day/week/weekend/month/year and then when something happens they say sorry Ted, we can't use you anymore because you hurt yourself/we're cutting back. The job will NEVER be there for you, family and friends, and your own happiness in your mind will be!

jj2000
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. All i can say is if you feel like giving it a go which it sounds like you do then go for it,what have you got to lose.
As for advice just keep reading the forums and remember that google is your friend and if you need to, invest in the technibble computer business kit.

Flyingbull
02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey guys, I need to ask all of your help in a real serious way here for the next little while. I now have had my business license and a legit computer repair business for a whole 2 weeks... and now I'm faced with a huge change in my life that I have to make some decisions.

Like most of you I started this business as a side gig to get me back into the IT industry and make a little extra money. Problem is, yesterday I was laid off from my job. I've been working at a building supply location for 7 years, working my way up the ladder as fast as I could, and did very well. After 3.5 years I was into an outside sales position (generally takes 10 years plus to work into). Unfortunately it's all down the drain now. All my hard work for this company, all my time, blood, sweat and tears... and a lot of my own money too I invested into my job is gone.

So now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I REALLY want to see if I can make this computer repair business bloom.... but am I being stupid to think I can make it work? I mean, it will take a LOT of business to keep my income large enough to support my family, and my wife will be helping me out with this, but I want to be realistic.

I've pretty much figured I'd give it a shot, since I have a lot of contacts out there and hoping the networking of people will work for me. I'm just afraid, because I still don't feel completely up to date yet, and don't want to choke to death...

I'm a bit of a wreck due to the layoff still... it's a hard thing for me to swallow right now, but I'm really hoping you guys can help me out with a lot of questions I know I'll have and a lot of patience for the many areas I'm lacking knowledge in. So far you guys have been great and I've been learning a LOT. But I have a lot to learn still, and hoping I can lean on you guys for some support... for me and my family.

That being said, is there any experienced techs that wouldn't mind sending me their e-mail/instant messenger ID or even possibly phone number (for US techs at least) in case I need someone to contact in some situations where I find myself needing help quickly and am lost? I'm hurting in a big way now, and I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm pretty scared.

I'm starting refresher courses from my college next month, but it'll take time before I get caught up with everything, and I don't have time to take a few months worth of classes before diving into this like I was hoping.

it is time to network and sell your ass off. You are experienced in sales already, time to put that skill to work for you, use contacts from work to open doorways to other companies, and network like crazy. Find these little networking groups that they have all over, go in with business cards and a smile. Develop the product that is you and start getting the word out, that you are now working for food. Metaphorically speaking of course.

02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm going to disagree with everyone else on this.

Do the responsible thing and go find another job. If you have a family to take care of, and since you already know that it'll "take a LOT of business" to support your family, you shouldn't be taking the risk. It does take a long time to be able to get back to the point where you're making as much as you were at a regular job.
On top of that, you're clearly having doubts. Follow your instincts. Keep doing the stuff on the side, it's certainly won't hurt, but focus on a new job.

dhrandy
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd say do both. You can get your PC business going and hunt for a job. I know in my area it's hard to find a job period. I'm almost in the same boat and I'm starting the PC business and still looking for a job. You should get unemployment to help you until you find a job or business takes off.

02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
You should get unemployment to help you until you find a job or business takes off.

If you do get unemployment, remember you have to report ANY income you have and it's deducted from your checks.

dhrandy
02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
If you do get unemployment, remember you have to report ANY income you have and it's deducted from your checks.
I do know that. I had a little income when I signed up for unemployment. (It was getting ready to end). When he signs up for unemployment they'll tell him everything he needs to know. Or at least their suppose to.

TimeCode
02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm going to disagree with everyone else on this.

Do the responsible thing and go find another job. If you have a family to take care of, and since you already know that it'll "take a LOT of business" to support your family, you shouldn't be taking the risk. It does take a long time to be able to get back to the point where you're making as much as you were at a regular job.
On top of that, you're clearly having doubts. Follow your instincts. Keep doing the stuff on the side, it's certainly won't hurt, but focus on a new job.

That is good advice.

Now I didn't even have a business until I got laid off but we are completely able to survive on my wife's income. If you can swing it, it is a good life. But if you can't afford to go at least 2 years, go get another job! It will probably be 2 years before you can completely support your family.

MLCS
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Here's a little bit of reasoning I've put into thought.

#1 the job market sucks! There's some jobs out there, but most of them are paying 1/3 of what I was making, so it's basically making as much as the unemployment.

#2 Since I didn't get a severance package I'm open to unemployment now. Which isn't nearly as much as I was making, but it's "something".

#3 One of us really needs to be available to be home or have a flexible schedule because of the kids. There's no daycare available in town and the ones we have found don't have methods of getting my kids to and from school during the day even if they did have openings.

So here's my conclusion. If I go find a job for $8 an hour, I'll make less than I would on un-employment, and I'll get my regular check.. and the remaining difference from UE. If my wife goes to work full time there's more positions it seems available to her. (Lot of clerical and receptionist type work) And her income won't affect my UE.

So my reasoning is I make a go of the computer work while I have the chance. If I make good, then I won't get my UE, if the month sucks butt, I'll have UE to help me through, and my wife will still have her income too.

After I was able to finally relax and figure it all out this was a no brainer. Unless I can find a job that's paying at least $15 an hour I can't keep my house... and there is no positions I can find right now that's even over $11. I'm going to network and keep my ear to the ground for a good position, and take it if one comes up. But until then this may be a really good opportunity for me to try this, rather than spinning my wheels and losing everything I have anyway.

Pc Fixed Right
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Well I will agree with other people in that it takes time for the business to take off, build relationships with people and trust etc. Start up right away tell friends, family memebers that you do computer work. Their computer issues will help you determine if you are ready. Keep reading this forum get used to the tools and dont give up.

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Well good to hear you settled down and thought about it. Get some business cards made up and hand them out like candy. I suppose you don't have much to lose, go full steam ahead.

As for tools here's my list. It's just files but might see something.

Methical
02-21-2009, 02:41 AM
now thats a list to be proud of purple_minion; might trawl over that after dinner tonight, see whats what :D

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 03:04 AM
now thats a list to be proud of purple_minion; might trawl over that after dinner tonight, see whats what :D

Good luck!!! I had to take a lot of updates off cause they wouldn't fit my 16gb drive! Too bad they don't all have nice descriptive names. I still need to sort a lot of it out. To be honest I have too much, no idea what's one there. lol.

Methical
02-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Lol yeah well I did start, I thought I had scrolled through quite a bit until I looked @ the scrollbars on the right, and it had barely moved an inch. But I'll keep going, somethin' might pop-out @ me, ya never know. I might even find something useful that you didnt even know you had. :D

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Lol yeah well I did start, I thought I had scrolled through quite a bit until I looked @ the scrollbars on the right, and it had barely moved an inch. But I'll keep going, somethin' might pop-out @ me, ya never know. I might even find something useful that you didnt even know you had. :D

4197 Files in almost 494 folders.... yeah I'm sure there is something there I don't know about. Kind of like cleaning out your room or closet and finding that long lost something you KNEW you had but couldn't find. I lost my Columbia coat liner... and I've looked EVERYWHERE. I've asked friends and family if I left it... sigh.... it'll turn up when I move!!!! ;)