PDA

View Full Version : HP printer install in Windows Vista

jaydude23
02-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Help! I recently purchased a new computer for my self. It has Windows Vista 32bit. Everything works great on it except that I cannot get my HP Deskjet 5440 inkjet printer to install correctly.

I have downloaded the correct version of drivers from HP's website. I have also verified that the printer is compatible in Vista from HP. The installer runs fine, no errors. It does not add the printer under the printers section.

The only message I get in windows is that it needs to install drivers for the printer, but I tell it not to, as I would think the install would take care of it.

I'm really out of ideas and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks in advance.

jaydude23
02-15-2009, 01:09 AM
posted in wrong forum. Sorry. :o

dhrandy
02-15-2009, 03:13 AM
The only message I get in windows is that it needs to install drivers for the printer, but I tell it not to, as I would think the install would take care of it.

Let Vista install the drive. I imagine if you go to your device manager you'll get a "!" saying that a device needs drivers.

jaydude23
02-15-2009, 04:25 AM
I looked under device manager, but it doesn't show a exclamation mark. It shows up under other devices.

Resler
02-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Can you go into "Properties" for the printer in Device Manager and update the driver? You will have to tell it where to find the driver but usually the installer will extract the files to a temp folder. You could also install the device from Device Manager and try the installer again.

jaydude23
02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I tried in device manager to point it to the location of what the installer extracted but it doesn't work. Windows always says "could not locate any drivers that match your hardware". Searching on Windows solutions does nothing either, nor does Windows update.

Even though HP says that this printer is compatible with Vista, and I have the correct Vista drivers, I guess its really not.

I'm out of ideas.