PDA

View Full Version : HP wireless laptop issue.

Anne~
02-14-2009, 03:26 AM
I have a lap top a customer brought me that lost its wireless internet connection.
It is a HP dv9000

This is what I have done so far.

I had cured this computer from viruses about 40 days before (vundo bs) and after I had gotten rid of the viruses the wireless still worked perfectly.

1. Check lap top wireless switch to make sure it was on.
2. Check and reset the router
3. Check device manager for driver and wireless card does not show up in hardware.
4. Download driver and install anyway.
5. Pull and reset network card.
6. Order new network card reboot with out it and then install the new card it still does not show up in hardware. (yes, I did test the card in another computer)
7. Set bios to defaults
8. Run system restore to last known time wireless worked.
9. Run bios update. Did not work.
10. Give-up and have a beer!

I did read where HP was having problems with the wireless in this laptop. Also some people on other forums recommended replacing the mother board.

This will be the first time I have had to tell a client I cannot help them. I am hoping someone here might have a different cure.

02-14-2009, 05:19 AM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us

There's a warranty extension on those machines. HP will fix the problem for free if it's included in the recall.

Anne~
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us

There's a warranty extension on those machines. HP will fix the problem for free if it's included in the recall.

Thank you very much. Yes my client's computer is on the HP list.

usacvlr
02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I just bought a usb dongle. :)

RyanMeray
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I just bought a usb dongle. :)

That's a great temporary solution, until that HP defect manifests and the thing no longer boots. ;)

Get the warranty repair while you're still within the coverage period.

usacvlr
02-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Good luck getting hp to fix it. Some people seem to have good luck with this some don't Usually they end up with a new problem. I see a LOT of dv series HP's with misc issues. I happily swap the boards and send them on their way.