PDA

View Full Version : Red Light

grodrigz
02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi, I'm working on an older machine, one of those no-name, custom models with an AMD Duron processor, 1.1 Ghz, M7VKQ motherboard, 640 mb Ram and an 80 Gb Maxtor hard drive. The hdd light is red rather than green. Is this normal or is it an indication of something failing? I know that with Dell an amber hdd light (rather than red) indicates a failing hardrive or PSU. The hard drive did pass all test in Maxtor's hard drive testing utility. Otherwise it seems to be working ok, having just replaced the CPU fan , upgraded the OS from Win 98 to XP and added a 512 mb stick of RAM (640 total).

dhrandy
02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Probably just a red led if it's not name brand. I have had several different computers with different color leds for the power on light.

Bryce W
02-13-2009, 03:24 AM
On a desktop, its most likey just the color of the LED they put in on the case. On a laptop however, a red LED can be a problem if its usually green.

usacvlr
02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
and on a raid system if each drive has it's own light the red light indicates the drive has failed or the mirror is corrupted for some reason.