PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate to software companies?

arrow_runner
02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Do you donate to safer-networking, piriform, sysrescd, or any companies that don't charge for their free products?

Pc Fixed Right
02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
If the software is of use to you than you should pay them.

Flyingbull
02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Only when it it signficantly saved my ass.

abe
02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Only when it it signficantly saved my ass.

intresting attitude.

Flyingbull
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
intresting attitude.

Not really, just my way of putting it, for example, I use clamwin a lot, and because it is usefull to me and has saved my ass, I donate when I have extra cash to the cause. I've also used the scan engine with .net/ASP/C# and bullied my partner in to paying them some cash.

On another open source project though, MYSQL, while many programmers swear by it, it wasn't until they supported subquering that I even started taking it seriously -- and that was when they started charging for it. Before then, it was a glorfied spreadsheet, and I could use ado with MS excel if wanted something like that.

I like open source, and as a programmer I'm willing to try new technologies all the time, regardless of their source (Microsoft, Sun, Oracle, Red Hat, source forge) but I won't get caught up with something just because it is free.

abe
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
gottya, so you mean to say if you use it a lot you pay for it, same as most of us,

I don't donate for a prog I use once in a while.
thanks for clarification.

Abe

usacvlr
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I've registered software over the years if I find it useful. Likewise people register my software when they find it useful as well. Most recently I registered tune up utilities 2009 as it's quite good. I also like CCleaner and will probably send them some money. Reward authors for their work and they'll continue it. Don't and they'll lose interest and raise hamsters instead of writing sofware.

Blues
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Currently no but I do buy software so I no longer pirate gotta take it all in steps. I haven't pirated in about 6 years and then it was always for things like Photoshop tools I played with not worked with. I would like to but my money supply is little low right now.

nelsonm
02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, for Spybot and a few others.