PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had disapearing internet options with ie7 and solved it?

holyspidoo
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi,

Here is the one problem I was never ever able to fix, except with reinstalling a clean windows. (maybe installing ie8 will finally solve this once it is released)

Ie7 is installed.

Trying to open internet options from the ie7 icon on the desktop or within the ie7 menu opens nothing. No error messages, simply nothing happens.

In control panel, the icon for internet options is there, but there is NO TEXT under it. Blank text with the icon. won't open either (no error).

Every policy setting in registry is okay.

The .CPL file is the right version. Tried copying from other computer, same thing.

I can change the .CPL file to open the ie6 internet options. But theses options are lackluster as opposed to ie7's

Removing/reinstalling ie7 causes same problem.

Uninstall to ie6 works, since the ie6 CPL file works when ie7 is installed.

My guess is ie8 will automatically fix this... but in the mean time, anyone has ever fixed this?

Thank you

TimeCode
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Try Trojan Remover... http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/details.html

geekhelp4u
02-10-2009, 02:52 AM
Have you tried starting IE in safe mode to see if an addon is causing the issue?

Start - Run

Type "iexplore.exe –extoff" without qoutes

hit enter

does it open this way?

also try this .bat
http://www.filedropper.com/reregisterie

or make it yourself with the following:

regsvr32 /u /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /u /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /u /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /u /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /u /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /u /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /u /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /u /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /u /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /u /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /u /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u /s msjava.dll
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s msjava.dll

holyspidoo
02-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Yep, tried both techniques.

I've seen this only 2 or 3 times since the release of ie7. Saw it again last week, which is why I asked.

T'is the only problem that got the best of me in 12 years of doing this! My ego would love a fix :)

Majestic
02-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Hi,

Here is the one problem I was never ever able to fix, except with reinstalling a clean windows. (maybe installing ie8 will finally solve this once it is released)

Ie7 is installed.

Trying to open internet options from the ie7 icon on the desktop or within the ie7 menu opens nothing. No error messages, simply nothing happens.

In control panel, the icon for internet options is there, but there is NO TEXT under it. Blank text with the icon. won't open either (no error).

Every policy setting in registry is okay.

The .CPL file is the right version. Tried copying from other computer, same thing.

I can change the .CPL file to open the ie6 internet options. But theses options are lackluster as opposed to ie7's

Removing/reinstalling ie7 causes same problem.

Uninstall to ie6 works, since the ie6 CPL file works when ie7 is installed.

My guess is ie8 will automatically fix this... but in the mean time, anyone has ever fixed this?

Thank you

Whenever I have issue with IE 7 itself I do a search on IE.INF and right click, INSTALL. Usually that solves the issue.

Majestic

abe
02-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Whenever I have issue with IE 7 itself I do a search on IE.INF and right click, INSTALL. Usually that solves the issue.

Majestic

hi majestic
what exactly does this do, and which problems can it solve.

thanks
abe

Majestic
02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Running install on the ie.inf "virginizes" Internet Explorer back to how it was first installed with original settings.. if at least in the registry. It's worked for me numerous times.

Majestic

stevenamills
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Running install on the ie.inf "virginizes" Internet Explorer back to how it was first installed with original settings.. if at least in the registry. It's worked for me numerous times.

Majestic

Nice tip - Thanks!

Is this different than the reset from within IE7?

Flyingbull
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice tip - Thanks!

Is this different than the reset from within IE7?

Many times the defaults can be corrupted within any version IE, so hitting reset will return them to a default that might of been set by malware or some other form of interloper. Using Majestic's technique would be the same as putting a computer back to factory settings.

Majestic
02-12-2009, 03:00 PM
exactly what flying bull said :)

Majestic