PDA

View Full Version : Help i have illegal xp version that i cannot activate

shadowman250862
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
i had a completely legal version of xp home but a family member thought it would be good to have xp pro and loaded a pirate copy. can i get back to my original legal xp because i have no activation key for the pirate version of pro?

Bryce W
09-19-2006, 04:43 PM
If you have a legit XP Home disk and you are running a Pirated XP Pro, your only option is to reinstall Windows. You will have to do a total format as you cannot install XP Home over Pro (you can do it the other way though). If you format you will lose everything if you dont back it up. Another

The difference between an XP Home and a Pro 99% of home users wouldnt even notice. The difference is mainly networking stuff designed for large networks.

Before you format you will probably want to recover important data so maybe this article will help:
http://www.technibble.com/recovering-important-data-when-windows-wont-boot/

It was written for when the system wont boot, but all the locations of your emails/address book etc.. are still the same.

If you dont want to format, you could always purchase an XP Pro license through the "this is not a genuine copy" popups.

zizol
09-20-2006, 08:12 PM
How do we want to close "this is not a genuine copy" popups at the log in,

Bryce W
09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
You cant "close" the popups. You need to legitimise your copy in order to get rid of them. You can either purchase a XP Pro product key or format and install your legit Window XP Home.

Goob
09-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Actually there are a few illegal cracks online where you can disable the wga part of xp from popping up. Just look and you'll find it, as I dont think I should really talk about it anymore than I already have