PDA

View Full Version : It's raining!

TimeCode
02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
It's raining and I'm listening to The Jesus & Mary Chain's album 21 Singles. I love my life! :D

NYJimbo
02-09-2009, 07:15 PM
It's raining and I'm, listening to The Jesus & Mary Chain's album 21 Singles. I love my life! :D

Hmmm....and what are you drinking right now ? ;)

TimeCode
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Hmmm....and what are you drinking right now ? ;)

Water. I have an appointment shortly. But I have an excellent Pinot Gris in the fridge. I'd really love a Whiskey & Ginger but as I said, I have an appointment shortly.

Why do you ask? Is this not normal? I mean that seriously.

TimeCode
02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
And that appointment became a quick fix at home and sold them a server for work... Easiest sell ever!

Me: "I'm no Linux guru. I don't want to mess with it."
Them: "So what would you do?"
Me: "I've spent my time learning Windows Servers."
Them: "So as long as you promise not to move to Indonesia (because he knows I like to surf) or get out to the business, you're our guy. Whatever you say you can work on, we'll do."

Their last guy left them high and dry with a server that they have no idea how to run.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bullfighter
02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey TimeCode,

Did you build or buy the server? Just curious.

EP

abe
02-10-2009, 04:29 PM
hi, its good to see someone is having a good day,

I had what was probably my worst day, I had an emergency call at 10pm to fix an office computer, the owners husband was standing over my shoulder, and insisted on repairing the os not a backup and install, the computer didn't boot due to viruses, I managed to get to the desktop but no icons,no start , no explorer, no regedit, no msconfig, no safemode..... at 1:15 I told the guy that its a backup install but not tonight, I got a call from the owner this morning "why didn't you backup my stuff why didn't ... why.. " so I tried explaining it to her to no avail. she then called up to apologise. :)

just a real bad day she will probably go bad mouthing me, but since I wasn't paid(no fix no fee) I don't care. ( I did give them advice on securing their network
and updating scanners and full wekkly backups.

I kindly asked them to find someone else, wish them the best of luck.

sorry for the rant but I had to get this of my chest.

Abe

TimeCode
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Abe,

Wow that is not a good day!!! I'm sorry. At least you know that you did the best you could with the situation that they created. It is SO hard when there are 2 people managing you and they're not on the same page.

If you're located in SoCal I'll buy a beer...

Bullfighter,

I'm selling him an HP server. I've built some and I've bought some and I find it to be MUCH less headache to buy one. I just don't build enough of them so I have to research the parts every time I build one.

seedubya
02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know what HP's US server division is like but the guys over here pretty much rock. Once you've purchased the appropriate support they are phenomenal (sometimes even if you haven't!!)

02-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I had an emergency call at 10pm to fix an office computer....but since I wasn't paid(no fix no fee) I don't care.

I don't understand you guys that do that. How do you make a living running around not getting paid? And on an emergency job, at that! Also, how were you unable to fix it? The customer not letting you fix it the correct way doesn't mean you couldn't fix it.

JohnG
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't understand you guys that do that. How do you make a living running around not getting paid? And on an emergency job, at that! Also, how were you unable to fix it? The customer not letting you fix it the correct way doesn't mean you couldn't fix it.

Ditto that...you should have been compensated for your time.

abe
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
hi all,

yeah I should be paid, the owner called in the afternoon and apologised again said I should talk to the husband about the money, I thunk I know what that means. :) ( I have a felling I'm gonna be sent back and forth)

Abe