PDA

View Full Version : Backup Customers Data

PSG-Samuel
02-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi,

I wondered what you guys do when you need to take a backup of the customers data when onsite?

1. Do you backup their important data like my documents, favourites etc?
2. Do you use a backup program to backup this data or transfer manally to DVD/CD?

3. Do you use a program and just take a general backup? what do you use?
4. Do you take a full hard drive clone?

Thanks
Samuel

nonchalant
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Most of my customers are home users so I generally just backup the 'documents & settings' folder, unless they specifically want me to save something else. Copy & paste job here.

Simmy
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I always take full hard drive clones (Acronis True Image) just to be on the safe side. It just makes it easier if something does go wrong (even though the customer's data isn't my responsibility and they should have a backup). It's also a good way to prove what files were on there before I touched the machine. Very useful when the customer says "Where is this file? it was in this folder before!!" and I can reply "Acronis says no".

PSG-Samuel
02-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I always take full hard drive clones (Acronis True Image) just to be on the safe side. It just makes it easier if something does go wrong (even though the customer's data isn't my responsibility and they should have a backup). It's also a good way to prove what files were on there before I touched the machine. Very useful when the customer says "Where is this file? it was in this folder before!!" and I can reply "Acronis says no".

So you always take acronis with you onsite and backup the whole drive?

Thanks
Sam

dylanrelos
02-08-2009, 01:55 AM
I also use acronics for full backup - image. I also dont want to be asked of something that I also dont know its existence.

MSgherzi
02-09-2009, 03:01 AM
How efficient do you think the drive imaging application is that comes with the latest version of Bryce's "Computer Repair Kit Utility?" I've taken a look at it and backed up my server but haven't actually needed to use it yet. I'd think it's rather efficient, imo, though.

MLCS
02-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Ok help me out here, what exactly is an "image" backup? Is it a complete copy of the drive, file for file or what?

When do you justify doing a "full backup"... I assume it takes a good deal of time, so if it was a simple process not dealing with testing/working on the hard drive, or moving files around etc (say... RAM upgrade or something?) you wouldn't do a big backup for something like that right?

But I'm curious, is the image a complete copy or what? If it is, how long does it usually take? I mean, I could just see backing up someone with 100Gigs of music and 80Gigs of pictures and another X amt of Gigs in "adult" material before doing anything on their system....

zchehi
02-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I would like to know how long this process takes at a cutomer sight and what this program cost is, and how long do you keep the backup on file and how does the customer feel about you keeping there information.

MSgherzi
02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Ok help me out here, what exactly is an "image" backup? Is it a complete copy of the drive, file for file or what?

But I'm curious, is the image a complete copy or what?.

The differences between a backup of the system and a disk image is that a simple backup like you're talking about with backup only files that it can access. An image literally takes an image of the drive, including boot information and files that are locked by the system. An image is more efficient because it takes the data from a drive sector-by-sector and ignores the file system.

However, I'd be concerned that this would take quite some time if you were to do this on sight. I'm not sure because on my server I setup a computer with hardly anything installed and practically fresh and it took probably 5 minutes (I don't remember).

gunslinger
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Although I do see the need to back up customer data if I'm on site the most I'll do is back up the documents & settings folder and bookmarks/faves. Making an image of a large drive can take a long time and its something I would rather do back at the shop.

MLCS
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
What programs do we use to make these drive images?

gunslinger
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
What programs do we use to make these drive images?

Drive Image XML (free) or Acronis (the best).

seedubya
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
RE: Onsite Drive Imaging

I haven't found it feasible in a domestic setting, it just takes too long, although I will do it at a business when upgrading a server or similar job. I too use Acronis. I've yet to find anything more suitable.

stevenamills
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Last weekend I had a system that the customer wanted converted to RAID 1. There was approximately 240 Gigs of data.

I backed up the system to an external Drive using Acronis and that took approximately 6 hours.*

I created the new mirror set and restored using Acronis with the Universal feature. That took 17 hours.

Everything worked great. I just wish I was being paid by the hour!

It was a Dell XPS 600

* Good ol' days - My recollection from Adaptec / SCSI days was I could add a second drive and create the array by telling the software which way to copy the data. I can't seem to do that with IDE. (This was NVidia)

seedubya
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
* Good ol' days - My recollection from Adaptec / SCSI days was I could add a second drive and create the array by telling the software which way to copy the data. I can't seem to do that with IDE. (This was NVidia)

You can still do this stuff with higher end controllers, usually on SAS systems. Most SATA/IDE RAID controllers are very basic.

ohmzoned
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Can someone suggest free backup software to use for a client? I find that the Windows backup creates 1 HUGE file the first time it is run. Is there something better out there that I can install and use for my client? They are backing up about 50GB worth of data onto an external drive.

Thanks!;)

purple_minion
02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Can someone suggest free backup software to use for a client? I find that the Windows backup creates 1 HUGE file the first time it is run. Is there something better out there that I can install and use for my client? They are backing up about 50GB worth of data onto an external drive.

Thanks!;)

Cobian

And the first backup is always huge by definition. Any incrimental backups will only be the new/changed data.

purple_minion
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Last weekend I had a system that the customer wanted converted to RAID 1. There was approximately 240 Gigs of data.

I backed up the system to an external Drive using Acronis and that took approximately 6 hours.*

I created the new mirror set and restored using Acronis with the Universal feature. That took 17 hours.

Everything worked great. I just wish I was being paid by the hour!

It was a Dell XPS 600

Why???? Can't just just stuff it in and say "Abra cadabra" and poof it starts mirroring? If not that's BULL$&!^

I mean we are talking about simply cloning a disk here, how hard is that. I think I could write a program for a PIC that can do that.