PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Sluggish when not on LAN/Server

bitznpcz
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I have just installed 11 new laptops for a school I work in. They are Toshiba l300D - 138 models (PSLC9E-00E003EN).

I am having problems with Wireless LAN on them. When they're connected they work fine, but when they cannot get a connection, the machines are really slow to respond and slow to open applications.

On every boot we are having to repair the wireless connection and it keeps dropping out periodically, although other laptops in the same classroom stay connected. I have updated the drivers to the latest versions, but still no joy. The WLAN card is a Realtek RTL8187B. Ocassionally, Windows reports the connection speed as 1.0 Mbps and excellent and that usually requires a 'repair' too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

bitznpcz
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
XP Pro. The Laptop is designed for Vista Basic, but we have downgraded them to XP Pro (or upgraded them in my opinion!!)

usacvlr
01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
If you're saying they don't run as well on wireless as they do on the lan then I would say that's normal, but also that the mtu probably needs to be adjusted. You can download tune up utilities 2009 for free to adjust this.

Otherwise if some one wifi are doing fine and and others aren't then it has to be an interference issue. Set one that was doing fine next to the one that isn't. Does the one that was doing fine start doing crappy? Most likely it's interference from another wireless device.

Howellga
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Are these laptops on a domain and if so do they have any mapped drives. Missing mapped drives will bring an XP machine to its knees looking for those drives everytime you try and open anything.

bitznpcz
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
The laptops are on a domain and there are mapped drives, but I do think it's a wireless card problem. When the wireless is OK, applications load quickly. When the wireless is flacky, applications physically installed on the laptops run slowly.

I don't think it's interference as it's happening in 11 different classrooms on different access points. The school has a trolley of 24 laptops and these can all be working OK, but it's these ones that keep failing.

The laptops use InSyde H2O Bios? Could this be a problem?

The only other thing I can think to try is a different wireless card. Failing that, return them to the reseller, but I have spent hours installing software and cloning etc and copying data from older laptops for each teacher.

TimeCode
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Are these laptops on a domain and if so do they have any mapped drives. Missing mapped drives will bring an XP machine to its knees looking for those drives everytime you try and open anything.
Bingo!!! This happened to my wife's laptop when she brought it home from work.

The easiest thing to do is disable the internet connection (especially if it has a hardware switch) and enable it after it has finished booting up.

bitznpcz
01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I think I have found the problem. I switched off a few startup programs in MSCONFIG and switched them back on individually. The problem appears to be caused by an interactive whiteboard program called Webster (made for Polyvision whiteboards). As soon as this program launches, it messes up the WLAN connection. Bizarre I know!

I have found the cause - just need to find a solution now. Not sure why this would affect the WLAN as I have installed it on numerous machines for them in the past, but there you go. I have emailed Polyvision for advice.

Bryce W
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Bingo!!! This happened to my wife's laptop when she brought it home from work.

The easiest thing to do is disable the internet connection (especially if it has a hardware switch) and enable it after it has finished booting up.

Was going to say the exact same thing. Ive seen it happen often.