PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean outside of computer case

Pc Fixed Right
01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Just wondering what you guys use to clean the outside of a computer case. Cleaning minor cosmetic damage like scratches etc. Is there some sort of polisher or anything you can recommend.

Simmy
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
This (http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=59700) is like the stuff I use. Cleans most stubborn stains with enough elbow grease and leaves a nice smell so the customer knows you've cleaned it.

stevenamills
01-25-2009, 09:26 PM
My favorites are a basic orange cleaner/degreaser, microfiber rags and elbow grease.

WareDat
01-25-2009, 09:57 PM
If it' only a little dirty I'll just give it a quick spray with some Windex and wipe it off with a paper towel, for tougher cleaning chores Goo Gone works great and leaves a nice shine behind.

Resler
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
If it' only a little dirty I'll just give it a quick spray with some Windex and wipe it off with a paper towel, for tougher cleaning chores Goo Gone works great and leaves a nice shine behind.

I don't like using Windex on computers/ any electronics because it has ammonia in it and ammonia and some plastic don't go together too well or so I've been told. So I try to keep ammonia away from things with plastic parts although Im sure using Windex on just the outside of a plastic case is fine.

I myself usually use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) because it cleans most stuff off, including sticky residue. If the alcohol doesnt take off residue I use Goo Gone and that leaves a lemony scent. Rubbing alcohol is nice and cheap and you can use it to clean all sorts of things, including yourself when you cut your hand open inside the dirty computer you were working on, not that any of us would ever get hurt working on computers.

nonchalant
01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I use a bit of white spirits and it brings them up a treat. If your worried about it being too harsh you could use it on a dampened cloth but Ive not seen any adverse effects yet.

geekhelp4u
01-26-2009, 12:09 AM
huh... never thought about it... I generally just throw it in the back of my truck and take it through the car wash!

but seriously...

warm water usually works well... for the occasional syrup ring from the guy that uses his tower as a coaster for his coke can, I add a little rubbing alcohol.

Blues
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I think we can all agree that a little elbow grease can go a long way

Pc Fixed Right
01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
thanks for the info. I am going to try different things that won't damage the plastic or the finish to see if I can clean scuffs off and make the outside of the case as asthetically pleasing as possible.

Tiddle
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Try waxing it ..lol tell me how that goes..

Id love a shiny pc.

usacvlr
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
409 is good stuff but I wouldn't put it on an LCD screen or a keyboard.